Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Alternative to UBC for sports channels?

I've been a subscriber to UBC or as it is now known, True Vision for a number of years now. I have always felt that American sports were shortchanged on UBC and now that my subscription is over, I'm looking for an alternative that has lots of American sports. Anyone know of such a service? I'm sure there has to be a satellite service somewhere that would fill my needs but haven't found it yet. Anyone know of such a beast?

Cheers

I am going to follow this thread, but I have little hope.

I have turned to the BitTorrents, where you can download sports almost immediately after many of the games. It's not dependable of course. There's always mlb.com, yahoo for football and so on, but I don't like watching on a computer monitor, frankly.

ESPN/Star has lost the contract for the Premier League, which raises the interesting question of what they will show instead of the Premiership, shows about the Premiership, repeats of the Premiership, classic Premiership matches and shows about upcoming shows about the Premiership.

They COULD show sports from various countries including North America, but somehow I think they won't.

I've been a subscriber to UBC or as it is now known, True Vision for a number of years now. I have always felt that American sports were shortchanged on UBC and now that my subscription is over, I'm looking for an alternative that has lots of American sports. Anyone know of such a service? I'm sure there has to be a satellite service somewhere that would fill my needs but haven't found it yet. Anyone know of such a beast?

Cheers

Let me know also. I would pay whatever for more American Football, college and pro as well as college basketbll. I haven't found anything.

Let me know also. I would pay whatever for more American Football, college and pro as well as college basketbll. I haven't found anything.

Yahoo sports has it all.

If you are a real fan (short for fanatic) of the NFL, then you can try NFL GamePass which allows you to watch any game within 24 hours for $25 or watch as many as you like for the whole season for $250.

Now who knows what combination of hardware/software will allow me to transmit the GamePass broadcast from my laptop to a full size TV set?

• 2 months later...

What you really need is a Slingbox. This allows you to watch your local TV from home in LOS.

Basically, you just need to pay for cable/satellite service for friend family in US and have them attach the sling box and a separate DVR for you in US. You then access your slingbox over the internet (preferably with your PC attached to your TV in LOS). However, you can attached to a laptop and view anywhere.

US details: us.slingmedia.com/

UK details: uk.slingmedia.com/

Edited by arbiez
What you really need is a Slingbox. This allows you to watch your local TV from home in LOS.

Er. Did you notice the flag at the name of the OP? It's nice to know about Slingbox, but you just gave him Rube Goldberg instructions on how to rig a complicated and costly device so he can watch Thai TV from his Thai home in LOS.

The way he watches local TV from his home in LOS is... he turns on the TV.

Joe,

I read the entire post. As I understand it, user . . .

Lives in LOS.

Wants to watch sports package (either UK or US) not normally available through normal cable/satellite in LOS.

I know a few people that currently living in LOS and/or Singapore who have basically decided to pay cable or Dish at "home" (home of origin = US, UK, etc.). Typically this is in the form of a family member with a slingbox attached. Simple case: Retiree in LOS attaches slingbox at home of son in USA (let's say Chicago). Son attaches slingbox to a TV in Chicago along with a DVR. In turn, Retiree in LOS attaches computer with video output card to TV (like DVD or VCR). Then user just changes the source button on TV to the computer and sees slingbox as separate option. So . . .

Cable A: Thai cable or satellite

Video 1: DVD

Video 2: Slingbox (through computer)

So, when you want to watch Thai TV, hit the source/input button to go back to LOS channels.

Setup is not that difficult, actually. And most of the setup is in the US attaching the slingbox to TV in US. Software needs installation on computer in LOS, but not that difficult. In other words, you don't have to be a tekkie. However, if you can't install a home theatre of set the clock on a VCR, then this is probably not your option.

It really helps when a fan of a team that doesn't really get on TV all the time. In other words, all White Sox all the time. Another advantage: SuperBowl with US commercials. I watched the SuperBowl in Patts this year. it was really lacking with the commercial blackout. If you elect to go this route, I strongly recommend the DVR option available with the US cable. This way you don't have to watch it live.

Again, it was just a suggestion. Of course if you don't have a friend/family member in the US or UK, this won't help. It is an optional cost for the Slingbox, but the other option mentioned also costs more than normal local LOS basic cable service. What's a couple hundred bucks if you're retired in Asia? It's still cheaper or a better quality of living than retiring in US or UK.

FWIW, I first saw a slingbox in action in LOS.

(Sounds like a business opportunity to me. A small business installing everyone's slingbox setups. HHHhhhmmm . . . George are you reading this???)

Edited by arbiez

The only alternatives I see are from the Internet and since the Internet SUCKS here in Thailand so that leave that out at least for me.

(Sounds like a business opportunity to me. A small business installing everyone's slingbox setups. HHHhhhmmm . . . George are you reading this???)

Yes. This I agree with. If someone were to set up a Slingbox doodad in the US or Canada, I'd buy in.

Actually, I do know families who are capable of doing this for me, but the selfish baxtards want to watch TV of their own instead of letting me use their TV set.

The only alternatives I see are from the Internet and since the Internet SUCKS here in Thailand so that leave that out at least for me.

I watch live stuff all the time on the Internet, usually on those "free TV" thingmys like TUV, which works very well for me, I often have TUV on, just droning away with the news. There is sports on there, but it's not dependable since you're never sure if the US ESPN, say, or NBC is going to be up and running today.

I get most of my sports right now from Torrents. Everything is available, very quickly. I often burn to DVD and watch on TV; I'm just not into watching on the computer if I don't have to. The drawback is you have to avoid the sports news for a couple of days while you get and then watch the games.

I can get watchable live baseball and football from MLB, Yahoo and NFL, all three. I consider it expensive, though.

The future is obviously internet but getting what you want, as fast as you want it (live preferably) and in sufficient definition to watch on a TV - well, how long is a piece of string. I suggest 5 to 10 years here in Pattaya but up in the boonies relying on satellite stuff, I don't know when.

If you read an old post of Pattaya pete (who must be the ultimate tv guru) you will see that he uses slingbox at his biz location and the speed is ok HOWEVER on his normal speed net connection at home, he says slingbox is unusable!

Incidently if your computer doesnt have a TV out signal then go to tukcom 3rd floor (cheapo shop with all the boxes on floor)and buy a PC to TV box (which takes power from usb) and converts the monitior out plug to normal TV signal (or svideo). It costs around 800baht.

Although it doesnt help you with the american sports problem , i get my regular UK TV streamed thru the net with www.liveuktv.com

Joe: As for your contact family watching their own TV, you'll need to have them get an additional TV box just for you and preferably one with the built in DVR. You'll definately want your own box. As for the bandwidth, I've seen the High Def Slingbox run over a wi-fi connection, so a good consistent web access "should" work. With that said, I'd probably get the highest speed DSL available in a residential unit and that may cost you a bit extra. (The latter part being a reference to Vidman's comments.)

I don't know how residential service works in LOS. Where I live, I can obtain at least 3 different speeds of DSL, cable broadband and satellite broadband is available, but I have no idea how that works.

I've used bit torrents, but takes a substantial period of time to download.

Edited by arbiez
I don't know how residential service works in LOS. Where I live, I can obtain at least 3 different speeds of DSL, cable broadband and satellite broadband is available, but I have no idea how that works.

Well it certainly varies, but in my home I have better service than my "high-tech" office so that's not a problem for me at least. I'm not a big satellite fan, not the iPSTAR anyhow. I'd get cable but damned if I'm going to move downtown just for that, yuck!

Generally speaking, people in Thai towns including the Bangkok area can have DSL up to 1024MBits for about 1,000 a month. TOT throws in wireless for that.

I've used bit torrents, but takes a substantial period of time to download.

Well, that's the nature of torrents and plus the Thai ISPs try to throttle them. There are, um, steps you can take. I got the three football games I wanted last Monday by 3 in the afternoon, i.e. 4am New York time the night of the games, and that included Sunday night football.

Live is always better, live with a DVR is best of all. I still actually use VCRs with Thailand TV. It's good to get up in the morning and watch when I want. Most baseball is in the morning here, but most other sports are overnight, i.e. afternoon in the US or evening in Europe for golf, rugby and the like. Soccer is often late evening, however, if you're into that.

I don't have the computer facilites to set up anything that has been mentioned here, but I would be interested in a sattelite dish if any would pick up the aforementioned American sports, particularly football (college and pro) and basketball (college). Does anybody know of such a system?

I don't have the computer facilites to set up anything that has been mentioned here, but I would be interested in a sattelite dish if any would pick up the aforementioned American sports, particularly football (college and pro) and basketball (college). Does anybody know of such a system?

No one is giving away major sports these days. You don't just hook into a satellite signal. They're all encoded and as soon as you break the code they change it again. It is a wearisome game you cannot win, trying to keep up with the decoding. And they don't sell to individuals. With very, very rare exceptions for one event here and there, if your middleman doesn't resell it, you don't get it.

Edited by joekicker

OK, time for a couple of TV watching tricks.

There is a nice little program that can help you see all NFL games, called Sopcast. Go here:

http://www.sopcast.com/

Download the software SopCast 1.1.2. Its about 2MB. Install it. Log in (you can be anon if you want).

Next step. The NFL games stream here:

http://streamednfl.blogspot.com/

or if you can't get there or have problems, some even prefer this one:

http://www.myp2p.eu/NFL.htm

You must have up-to-date Windows XP SP2 or later, i.e. Vista. Nothing else will work. And of course you need a bit of bandwidth.

Note that Sopcast is the client, and is essentially invisible. All viewing and selection and switching is done from within your browser.

Then there's a Nike NFL advert to kill for:

http://www.nike.com/usnikefootball/?sitesr...anding#homepage

Download it at:

http://www.nike.com/nikegridiron/v3/med … spot_1.flv

This one is pretty good:

And the commercial Brian Urlacher hated:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8raHaAQcZDE

My Slingbox is a 'Slingbox Pro'. This model has a TV tuner in the box. I only need the cable wire - split, one wire to my slingbox the other wire to my daughters cable box. I change channels independently.. no need to interfere with the cable box selections. There is a virtual remote control on my monitor (minimize for full screen). All my viewing will be 'live', no DVR at this time ... and I am still in the USA. Moving to Pattaya Feb of next year. If all works OK in Pattaya, then will consider additions to the system. My laptop will have the proper TV outlets ( HDMI and maybe S-Video ).

wallyc

I started out with the 512/256 Ipstar package. It sucked so I upgraded to 1024/512. It sucked too. To say it was it was slow is an understatement. I can't even listen to the radio without it cutting in and out. I have now gone to the cheapest 256/128 and I can still tell no difference. I frequently use my phone and GPRS because Ipstar dies frequently in addition to being slow. Since I live out in the boonies, I have no choice other than GPRS or Ipstar.

Oh, Vic?

Also, don't just go by the BP schedule, they only list LIVE stuff. I'm currently watching Texas-Rice, the second college game of the weekend on ESPN, delayed about 11 hours.

You might want to look at ESPN (Star has very little stuff) at their website to see what's coming up. You can search by sports for two weeks, or just go through the daily listings to see if there's something you like. Today they have football and baseball, just not live.

http://espnstar.com/tvtimes/tvtimes_index.jsp

I started out with the 512/256 Ipstar package. It sucked so I upgraded to 1024/512. It sucked too. To say it was it was slow is an understatement. I can't even listen to the radio without it cutting in and out. I have now gone to the cheapest 256/128 and I can still tell no difference. I frequently use my phone and GPRS because Ipstar dies frequently in addition to being slow. Since I live out in the boonies, I have no choice other than GPRS or Ipstar.
I was using my GPRS in Phang Ma Pha, a little village in Mae Hong Son, the Edge network there worked better than here in Pattaya, East of Sukhumvit. I think I will be sticking with this crap in Pattaya for a while yet!

......um......guys.....you came to Pattaya ......to watch TV? I can understand your state of boredom if you live in Nakhon Nowhere, but....in Pattaya?

I live in Pattaya virtually full time. I have a condo. I have my lady of over 5 years.

Oh, and did I mention I live in Pattaya? Granted the TV here sucks, but between CNN, BBC, DWTV (when in English), and Fox, I at least can be kept up to date with the news from home and around the world.

Oh, in case I forgot to mention it,....I live in Pattaya.

Little Roy :bigsmile:

......um......guys.....you came to Pattaya ......to watch TV? I can understand your state of boredom if you live in Nakhon Nowhere, but....in Pattaya?

I live in Pattaya virtually full time. I have a condo. I have my lady of over 5 years.

Oh, and did I mention I live in Pattaya? Granted the TV here sucks, but between CNN, BBC, DWTV (when in English), and Fox, I at least can be kept up to date with the news from home and around the world.

Oh, in case I forgot to mention it,....I live in Pattaya.

Little Roy

Roy,

It appears that these guys aren't as horny or have the sex drive that like yourself. :bigsmile:

I also like to read the posts about those that are here on a short holiday and must stay at a hotel that has internet.

You moved to Pattaya to watch four TV news networks, none of them remotely connected with Pattaya, and you think people who watch sports on TV are weird? hmmm.