Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Board Members,

Maybe a silly question but let me present it to you all. I'm stationed in Japan and will retire in 5 years from Japan. My question is how much would it cost to ship a vehicle to Thailand and get it registered? This vehicle is RH drive and is not a sports car or luxury car. It is just a nice small car that gets great gas miles. I'm thinking that it would be cheaper to send a vehicle and have it registered instead of buying one. Maybe I'm crazy? zarusoba

Yes you're crazy.
I second that... :bigsmile: Doesn't sound like the vehicle is worth the red tape and open palms.

Thanks for the replies. I was just thinking outside of the box. My idea was that the car was paid off and that would have been one less bill I have to deal with when I'm living in Thailand. I was looking at the prices of used cars in Thailand and they were expensive. So on to plan B ... WALK ... LOL!

You're NOT crazy. You're out of your mind. heh.

Really. Bad. Idea.

Technically possible, really bad idea.

Board Members,

Maybe a silly question but let me present it to you all. I'm stationed in Japan and will retire in 5 years from Japan. My question is how much would it cost to ship a vehicle to Thailand and get it registered? This vehicle is RH drive and is not a sports car or luxury car. It is just a nice small car that gets great gas miles. I'm thinking that it would be cheaper to send a vehicle and have it registered instead of buying one. Maybe I'm crazy? zarusoba

Forget it. Thailand basically does not want second hand car imports and does everything they can to make it near impossible to acheive. Import duty alone will amount to more than the car is worth. In Eurpoe, Thailand has just one office that will deal with this and in Brussels if I remember correctly. I gave it a try on a Shogun and trailored boat and called them. The answer was a flat no but they would send me the forms so I could waste my time. :banghead Interestingly now boats can be imported with little or no duty.

Forget it. Thailand basically does not want second hand car imports and does everything they can to make it

Yes and no. Interestingly, pretty well all Thai taxis are second-hand Japanese cars. Of course they are brought in under a special deal by a big company. So far as individuals, you'd be better setting up a project to build a rocket and fly to the moon, it would be much less frustrating and possibly less expensive.

Exception: Actual diplomats with diplomatic passports, stationed to Thailand.

To import a car to Thailand from outside the South East Trading area the import duty on a car is 212% of the world book value (Where they get this value from I dont know) plus 7% VAT plus transport charges plus a few back handers to actually get the vehicle moved from its parking spot on the docks. All in all not a very good chance of getting the car in for less than three times its value in tax and gifts :clueless

An alternative it to import the car into Mayamar and then drive it into Thailand on a visit visa but it has to do a visa run every three months I believe, this is a method I have only read about some place

Edited by mgc