Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

AIA Insurance in Thailand

On the 7 July Mrs Bullfrog was taken ill around midnight at the Sabai Lodge and an Ambulance from BKK Pattaya hospital was called. They had to stop halfway there to give her treatment. On arrival everything was very proffessional and I was given a choice of rooms and I chose the best and was told the cost and informed that the insurance didn't cover that much and that I would have to pay the difference myself. They were open about my choices and what I would have to pay for myself, so I had no problems there.

I have to say the room, treatment and service was exemplory

Anyway, she recovered and we later returned to the village where we were visited by the AIA Rep. She then went through the whole claim with Mrs Bullfrog whilst I cowered in the corner waiting for her to be told about my decision on the room :banghead At this stage I was summoned to the table and I explained to them that it was a concious and informed decision and didn't mind ( all this with Mrs Bullfrog glowering at me!!)

They then gave me a translation of the main points which I just scanned through untill I got to the bottom...ALL TREATMENT WILL ONLY BE PAID FOR A PERIOD OF 3 MONTHS!!! I said what happens if she gets Cancer and needed longer term treatment. The Rep just said " Cannot do in Thailand" I was dumb struck. This is the 27,000 Baht policy and I asked if I paid more...even as much as a standard European policy...could she be covered by a longterm treatment policy and got the same reply "Cannot do in Thailand"

Anyway, we don't have a problem with this because of my company's European policy. The AIA one was purely a temporary stopgap between contracts....but perhaps you should check yours just in case...

Or perhaps the Rep was just lying TIT.. :banghead :banghead

On the 7 July Mrs Bullfrog was taken ill around midnight at the Sabai Lodge and an Ambulance from BKK Pattaya hospital was called. They had to stop halfway there to give her treatment. On arrival everything was very proffessional and I was given a choice of rooms and I chose the best and was told the cost and informed that the insurance didn't cover that much and that I would have to pay the difference myself. They were open about my choices and what I would have to pay for myself, so I had no problems there.

I have to say the room, treatment and service was exemplory

Anyway, she recovered and we later returned to the village where we were visited by the AIA Rep. She then went through the whole claim with Mrs Bullfrog whilst I cowered in the corner waiting for her to be told about my decision on the room :banghead At this stage I was summoned to the table and I explained to them that it was a concious and informed decision and didn't mind ( all this with Mrs Bullfrog glowering at me!!)

They then gave me a translation of the main points which I just scanned through untill I got to the bottom...ALL TREATMENT WILL ONLY BE PAID FOR A PERIOD OF 3 MONTHS!!! I said what happens if she gets Cancer and needed longer term treatment. The Rep just said " Cannot do in Thailand" I was dumb struck. This is the 27,000 Baht policy and I asked if I paid more...even as much as a standard European policy...could she be covered by a longterm treatment policy and got the same reply "Cannot do in Thailand"

Anyway, we don't have a problem with this because of my company's European policy. The AIA one was purely a temporary stopgap between contracts....but perhaps you should check yours just in case...

Or perhaps the Rep was just lying TIT.. :banghead :banghead

I wouldn't deal with AIA PERIOD! A while back I had appendicitis and after being released I was met by some Thai guy in a suit. He explained that he was with the insurance company. As it turned out it WASN'T my insurance company but was actually an AIA agent. An ambulance chaser in Thailand. My wife explained to him that I already had insurance. I wanted to get home and finally walked away from him. I'd bet that this guy called 20 times and came to our home. I refused to talk to him but my wife isn't as rude as I am. He was really a pest. The last call my wife got, I could tell it was him again and took the phone from her. I told the guy NOT to call again and that since I would NEVER buy AIA insurance he should save his money and quit calling. With such high pressure tactics there must be some big commissions from that company. I did look through all the material he delivered to the house and it appears they are pretty much a life insurance company with all sorts of scams to get your money.

I didn't understand all of this situation, but it appears the policy purchased . . . as a stopgap . . . is indeed temporary and that's not unusual.

Please clarify this, Bullfrog. This could be like the medical insurance one gets for travel. When you are out of your home country your coverage doesn't follow you so you have to buy travel insurance. It is only good for some period of time. If you developed a very long term illness when on vacation, that policy will not cover you for decades. It covers you only for the period of time specified.

Is what you are describing different?

I've had AIA insurance here for just over a year and my wife has had it for 4 years although we've only used it twice, once for an appendicitis for me which they covered 53000bht of the 60000bht bill and the second time was when my wife got bit by a dog, rabies course 3000bht ish and she got a cheque back for 10000bht.

The 3 month thing does'nt surprise me too be honest regarding serious illness's, the thai's then have to go onto the government health thing I believe? :D

:clueless

I didn't understand all of this situation, but it appears the policy purchased . . . as a stopgap . . . is indeed temporary and that's not unusual.

Please clarify this, Bullfrog.

Hi Mate, the SITUATION of me being in between contracts was temporary. The Health Insurance Policy purchased was an annual one for a Thai with worldwide coverage.

my wife has had it for 4 years ........The 3 month thing does'nt surprise me too be honest regarding serious illness's, the thai's then have to go onto the government health thing I believe? :D

:bj2

Yep Dave..it certainly looks like a Thai thing..but have you checked if yours is only for 3 month treatment????

Hi Mate, the SITUATION of me being in between contracts was temporary. The Health Insurance Policy purchased was an annual one for a Thai with worldwide coverage.

Yep Dave..it certainly looks like a Thai thing..but have you checked if yours is only for 3 month treatment????

I haven't too be honest, i will do though. :bj2

My wife has an AIA policy and I want to do as you sugested and check on the coverage but just to be clear, did they tell you that it only covers payment for hospitalization on each illness or accident for 3 months or does the 3 months cutoff include outpatient treatment for that particular illness?

I've had AIA insurance here for just over a year and my wife has had it for 4 years although we've only used it twice, once for an appendicitis for me which they covered 53000bht of the 60000bht bill and the second time was when my wife got bit by a dog, rabies course 3000bht ish and she got a cheque back for 10000bht.

The 3 month thing does'nt surprise me too be honest regarding serious illness's, the thai's then have to go onto the government health thing I believe?

:thumbup

So you came out even, they covered everything....... :D but methinks a zero is missing someplace!
My wife has an AIA policy and I want to do as you sugested and check on the coverage but just to be clear, did they tell you that it only covers payment for hospitalization on each illness or accident for 3 months or does the 3 months cutoff include outpatient treatment for that particular illness?

Well to be honest, they weren't too clear. The exampe given above of Chemothereapy for cancer was the one that I specifically asked them about but the translated statement said something like I quoted before " All treatment will only be paid for a period of 3 months" and didn't differentiate between in or out patient. It was just a block statement.

I didn't go any further because she is now covered by my company's insurance.

I just thought it wise to pass on the small amount I was told so that everybody checks their own policies. :thumbup

So you came out even, they covered everything....... :bow but methinks a zero is missing someplace!

I should point out actually that my appendix removal was last year and her dog bite was in 2002 so adding it together yes we got the cash back although she cashed the 10000bht cheque in her bank and never gave me the 3000bht back for the treatment. :bow

I should point out actually that my appendix removal was last year and her dog bite was in 2002 so adding it together yes we got the cash back although she cashed the 10000bht cheque in her bank and never gave me the 3000bht back for the treatment. :D
If you paid for her insurance, perhaps you should have got the 10,000 baht cheque...... well maybe a wife would not quite see it that way...
If you paid for her insurance, perhaps you should have got the 10,000 baht cheque...... well maybe a wife would not quite see it that way... :D

That's what I thought but she convinced me otherwise.

Most AIA policys are life insurance and limited hospital insurance, the thais love it.cause its like saving for old age ..jans whole family are in it . [life and hospital\

except for bbk pattaya, and the internatioal soi4, we get 100% back when we go to satahip, the other 2 put too many extras on u do'nt need and the aia do'nt cover it,ithis happened to me the first time my daughter went to bkk patttaya.bill 28,000 for 3/4 days for gastro ,

they kept her in longer for the money she was running around after 24hrs,they bullshit to u.at the time i did'nt know any better at the time. got back 18,000.

most of the time the thais dont understand the policy themselves,,, they listen to the rep,you can ask for the policy in english,if its not already,we only pay 20,000 a yr for wife and daughter the grandpa pays 16.000 p,a.

I lOVE satahip.

paul

and limited hospital insurance, ......most of the time the thais dont understand the policy themselves,,, they listen to the rep,you can ask for the policy in english,

Yes this is effectively what happened. I saw the translation and none of the Thais could understand my concern that treatment was only covered for 3 months...TIT :unsure: :banghead