Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Retirement Visa- In the US or in Thailand?

I'm from the USA. Last year, I obtained a multiple entry non-immigrant "O" visa, and entered Thailand on that visa. When I applied for it at one of the USA consulates, I told them that I was "exploring the possibility of retirement." They gave it to me, no problem. After my original entry into Thailand, and before the first 90 days was up, I took a flight to Kuala Lumpur for a few hours and then reentered Thailand on a return flight. Before the end of the next 90 days, I went up to Bangkok and got a letter from the US embassy. That part is simple. You just fill out a form as to your monthly income, and some Embassy official signs off on it. I had heard that Thai immigration sometimes also likes to see a Thai bank account, so I stuck some money (about 40,000 baht) in a Thai bank. I took all that stuff, along with a 'letter" from the Thai bank, to Jomtien immigration. Came back the next day and picked up my retirement extension, good for one year from my last entry into Thailand. Very simple.

J

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm from the USA. Last year, I obtained a multiple entry non-immigrant "O" visa, and entered Thailand on that visa. When I applied for it at one of the USA consulates, I told them that I was "exploring the possibility of retirement." They gave it to me, no problem.

J

Would be helpful to some guys if you'd tell us which consulate you used.

-redwood

I used the Denver consulate. I wasn't anywhere near Denver, though. From what I've read, they may now request that you use the Thai consulate nearest to where you live. The problem is, some may not be so easy to deal with.

J

That's because Denver is an honorary consul and not run by the Thai government. These guys are very restricted on what they can do or they lose their very precious, very valuable "honorary consul" title. The Denver guy is definitely not going to hand out visas to those outside his own zone. "Real" Thai consulates can serve anyone, however.

That said, it is useful information for others to know you used the Denver guy.

In fairness to the Denver consulate, I first dealt with them by email, so they didn't really know where I was. They told me what to send and I did, via Express mail. I guess at that point they figured they'd just go ahead and issue the visa.

From what I've read, the easiest way to handle all this is to do it all once you're in Thailand. Less hassle.

J

To be clear, I'm not running down the Denver honorary consul in any manner. I hope nobody thought I was. But these people have their "zones" and have to stay in them. Sounds like you got excellent service, and good on the Denver consul for that.

I completely disagree with your conclusion, though. People should get visas before entering Thailand if they hope to stay here.

Get visas before entering Thailand? Well, that's what I always thought. And yet I keep reading reports about people who are able to convert tourist visas to "O" visas and then to retirement visas, all for the payment of the correct amount of baht.

J

In the first place, a tourist visa has to be obtained abroad. That 30-day thingmy you get at the airport is NOT a visa.

In the second, just because Person A does something in Thailand does not mean Persons B-Z can replicate that. The RULES are explicit that you have to have a visa. Now: People do get around that, that is exactly what "This is Thailand" means. It doesn't mean you can, or I can or anyone can.

And finally, if you DO get a visa, you may find you're screwed anyhow, because of that leeway that officials have. Some people do it without a non-immigrant visa, some people can't do it WITH such a visa (usually because they are idiots in some obvious way but that's another thread).

TiT. This is Thailand.

Get visas before entering Thailand? Well, that's what I always thought. And yet I keep reading reports about people who are able to convert tourist visas to "O" visas and then to retirement visas, all for the payment of the correct amount of baht.

J

At present, it is possible to convert the 30 day stamp in your passport to a non-Immigrant visa at Pattaya Immigration on payment of the appropriate fee - 2,000 baht, I think. That can then be extended based on retirement. This is a fairly new procedure, but I certainly would NOT suggest that anyone thinking about retiring here should assume that they will be able to do so.

Alan

I want to specifically and enthusiastically second and ditto what Eneukman (Alan) wrote immediately above.

Do not EVER mix up with "he did it" with "that's the way it's done". You can get lucky, you can get screwed. That's why I LOVE this place and hate it when anyone tries to start suggesting better regulations.

• 2 weeks later...

STEP 1 : OBTAINING A NON-IMMIGRANT " O" VISA

If you want to retire in Thailand, you need a non-immigrant visa. Ideally, it should be acquired prior to your arrival in Thailand. Siam International Legal Group can assist you in obtaining it in your home country or in nearby country near Thailand. In addition, we can help you convert a tourist visa to non-immigrant visa inside Thailand but it can take up to 1 or 2 months for this conversion process.

Requirements for getting a non-immigrant visa outside Thailand:

50 years old of age or older

Passport (at least 1 year remaining until expiration)

Holding the nationality or permanent residence of country of application

Police Records Check

Certificate of Health

Proof of meeting financial requirement *

Bank letter showing funds or pension statement

STEP 2 : OBTAINING ONE-YEAR RETIREMENT VISA IN THAILAND

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:

Passport - copies of every page. Each copy must be signed by applicant.

Non-Immigrant Visa

Departure Card TM.6

Thailand Bank book (original)

Letter from your Thai Bank

Medical Certificate (health exam administered by doctor at first class hospital)

Photos, three (3) in quantity which are 4 x 5 centimeters in size (not passport photos) with full face and taken wearing business attire (no hat and some jurisdictions require suit and tie). Must have been taken within six (6) months.

* FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT:

1. BANK ACCOUNT SHOWING THB 800,000

2. MONTHLY INCOME OF AT LEAST THB 65,000

3. COMBINATION (BANK ACCOUNT + INCOME x 12 = THB 800,000)

Signing for your new Retirement Visa

Your first and only appearance for the retirement visa will be at the Immigration office upon its approval. You must appear in person with your passport and sign the visa paperwork in the presence of the Immigration staff. The Immigrant staff puts a stamp in the passport at the time of approval.

Restrictions on Your Retirement Visa

The retirement once approved allows you to stay in Thailand for one year. You are not allowed to have employment while on this type of visa. Also you must report to Immigration every 90 days to verify your current address.

STEP 3 : BRINGING YOUR HOUSEHOLD ITEMS TO THAILAND

You have six months from your entry to Thailand to bring in from your home country your household items.

After you have been granted a permit to stay for a year in Thailand, your belongings will not be taxed. However, if your permit to stay is for less than one year, these items will be taxed 20% import duty plus 7% value-added tax.

The period of six months starts the date that you initially entered Thailand on the retirement visa O-A visa, regardless whether you leave or re-enter Thailand after that date. However, the deadline is somewhat flexible. If your personal items are due to arrive in Thailand more than six months after the entry date, you should inform Customs about this at least two months before the six-month deadline.

STEP 4 : OBTAINING THE RE-ENTRY PERMIT

Definition: “Visa” is issued outside of Thailand by a Thai Embassy or Consulate in which you request entry into the Kingdom of Thailand. Once allowed to enter the Kingdom, the Immigration Officer will stamp a date in your passport. This is referred to as your “Extension of Stay.”

Definition: “Extension of Stay” is the time period you are allowed to remain in the Kingdom of Thailand. This is typically the date stamp in your passport by the Immigration Officer either after arriving in the Kingdom through a border checkpoint or issuance by the Immigration Police after a request for an extension of stay.

Many people misunderstand the difference between an extension of stay and re-entry permit much to their own disadvantage. Here is the key point: your “extension of stay” stamp is the controlling date. Everything is dependent on this date. Your re-entry permit is only valid until the date stamped in your passport to leave the country. Any re-entry permit you obtain will expire when your “extension of stay” expires. If you depart the country without a re-entry permit, your “extension of stay” is invalidated. This is the key distinction so after going through the process of getting a longer period of time for your “extension of stay” please ensure your have a re-entry before departing Thailand. Siam International Legal Group can assist you to obtain a single re-entry entry permit (one time use) or multiple re-entry permit (unlimited use).

STEP 5: RENEWING YOUR RETIREMENT VISA

Your Retirement Visa expires when your Extension of Stay does

You will need to renew your stay in Thailand before your extension of stay expires. This can be done in Thailand. If you cannot obtain your extension inside Thailand, you will have to get a new non-immigrant visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad as explained above. Siam International Legal Group with its global presence can assist you in any country with renewing your visa.

Reporting your Stay every 90 days

You are required to report to Immigration Police every 90 days for persons on a long term extension of stay. Persons holding a multiple entry visa will simply depart Thailand and renew their extension of stay after each 90 day entry. Our firm offers professional service with a yearly package to perform the task of the reporting to Immigration each 90 days.

http://www.siam-legal.com/Thailand_Service...-retirement.php

If you want to retire in Thailand, you need a non-immigrant visa. Ideally, it should be acquired prior to your arrival in Thailand. Siam International Legal Group can assist you in obtaining it in your home country or in nearby country near Thailand. In addition, we can help you convert a tourist visa to non-immigrant visa inside Thailand but it can take up to 1 or 2 months for this conversion process.

Requirements for getting a non-immigrant visa outside Thailand:

50 years old of age or older

Passport (at least 1 year remaining until expiration)

Police Records Check

Certificate of Health

Bank letter showing funds or pension statement

STEP 2 : OBTAINING ONE-YEAR RETIREMENT VISA IN THAILAND

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:

Passport - copies of every page. Each copy must be signed by applicant.

Non-Immigrant Visa

Departure Card TM.6

Thailand Bank book (original)

Letter from your Thai Bank

Medical Certificate (health exam administered by doctor at first class hospital)

Photos, three (3) in quantity which are 4 x 5 centimeters in size (not passport photos) with full face and taken wearing business attire (no hat and some jurisdictions require suit and tie). Must have been taken within six (6) months.

* FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT:

1. BANK ACCOUNT SHOWING THB 800,000

2. MONTHLY INCOME OF AT LEAST THB 65,000

3. COMBINATION (BANK ACCOUNT + INCOME x 12 = THB 800,000)

Signing for your new Retirement Visa

Your first and only appearance for the retirement visa will be at the Immigration office upon its approval. You must appear in person with your passport and sign the visa paperwork in the presence of the Immigration staff. The Immigrant staff puts a stamp in the passport at the time of approval.

Restrictions on Your Retirement Visa

The retirement once approved allows you to stay in Thailand for one year. You are not allowed to have employment while on this type of visa. Also you must report to Immigration every 90 days to verify your current address.

STEP 3 : BRINGING YOUR HOUSEHOLD ITEMS TO THAILAND

You have six months from your entry to Thailand to bring in from your home country your household items.

After you have been granted a permit to stay for a year in Thailand, your belongings will not be taxed. However, if your permit to stay is for less than one year, these items will be taxed 20% import duty plus 7% value-added tax.

The period of six months starts the date that you initially entered Thailand on the retirement visa O-A visa, regardless whether you leave or re-enter Thailand after that date. However, the deadline is somewhat flexible. If your personal items are due to arrive in Thailand more than six months after the entry date, you should inform Customs about this at least two months before the six-month deadline.

STEP 4 : OBTAINING THE RE-ENTRY PERMIT

Definition: “Visa” is issued outside of Thailand by a Thai Embassy or Consulate in which you request entry into the Kingdom of Thailand. Once allowed to enter the Kingdom, the Immigration Officer will stamp a date in your passport. This is referred to as your “Extension of Stay.”

Definition: “Extension of Stay” is the time period you are allowed to remain in the Kingdom of Thailand. This is typically the date stamp in your passport by the Immigration Officer either after arriving in the Kingdom through a border checkpoint or issuance by the Immigration Police after a request for an extension of stay.

Many people misunderstand the difference between an extension of stay and re-entry permit much to their own disadvantage. Here is the key point: your “extension of stay” stamp is the controlling date. Everything is dependent on this date. Your re-entry permit is only valid until the date stamped in your passport to leave the country. Any re-entry permit you obtain will expire when your “extension of stay” expires. If you depart the country without a re-entry permit, your “extension of stay” is invalidated. This is the key distinction so after going through the process of getting a longer period of time for your “extension of stay” please ensure your have a re-entry before departing Thailand. Siam International Legal Group can assist you to obtain a single re-entry entry permit (one time use) or multiple re-entry permit (unlimited use).

STEP 5: RENEWING YOUR RETIREMENT VISA

Your Retirement Visa expires when your Extension of Stay does

You will need to renew your stay in Thailand before your extension of stay expires. This can be done in Thailand. If you cannot obtain your extension inside Thailand, you will have to get a new non-immigrant visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad as explained above. Siam International Legal Group with its global presence can assist you in any country with renewing your visa.

Reporting your Stay every 90 days

You are required to report to Immigration Police every 90 days for persons on a long term extension of stay. Persons holding a multiple entry visa will simply depart Thailand and renew their extension of stay after each 90 day entry. Our firm offers professional service with a yearly package to perform the task of the reporting to Immigration each 90 days.

http://www.siam-legal.com/Thailand_Service...-retirement.php

One of the best posts I've read regarding a retirement visa. Thank you for posting. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

A couple of corrections to Aqua4's post.

1. A medical certificate is no longer required for extending your visa on the basis of retirement. I didn't have one earlier this year nor was I asked for one.

2. Goods can now only be imported free of duty if you have a work permit. The rules changed 2 years ago whilst my goods were in transit!!!! :allright I had arranged for various things to be shipped on a door to door basis so an agent in Bangkok dealt with Customs on my behalf. I believe the amount of duty to be paid was agreed on "an informal basis".

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Can I clarify this one - does this mean the place where you live and work, or the country of origin?

My permanent base I live and work is Cambodia: My Country of Origin is UK. I haven't been outside SEA for four years and have no plans to venture any closer to home than the Middle East.

Do they classify Cambodia as my permanent residence or do they really expect me to fly half way around the globe to get one piece of paper?

I need to know this as I am looking at renewing my Non-B to be able to come to BKK on business (I'm possibly bringing a project into Thailand for completion, we cannot do it here). But NO WAY am I going to fly back to the UK to get a piece of their paper which could be issued here, just so I can spend a heap of money in TH. I can complete the project in VN without the visa restrictions, just Hanoi is not the place I want to do this work.

Rhoel

You no longer need a Non O visa from out of the country. You can change a tourist visa into a Non O at Bangkok immigration. It is an extra step but no big deal. It is true that in the past, you could NOT have that done. It's one of the few things that have changed for the better.