Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Suvarnabhum to Don Mueang

Booking my flight to Thailand and my first port of call has to be Udon Thani, ineed to know how long it takes too travel from the new airport to the old ...... Can you from plane landing at Suvarnabhum travel to Don Mueang to get next flight in less 2:30 hours.

Thanks

Gerald

Takes about 45 minutes ,well that what it took me in taxi this Sep

There are a couple of nasty intersections you have to go through, and it's not entirely predictable. Except in a heavy rain at 5 pm, you probably will make a connection in 2:30.

I re-read your post and it may be risky. Plane landing, (on-time do you think), long walk to immigration, immigration queues, collect luggage and finding a taxi...then check in at Don Muang. If your ETA is anytime around the Bangkok rush hours, it could be tight.

Jacko, yes, better answer.

He should have roughly one hour to get from airport to airport. Figure an hour to get out of Suvarnabhumi and a minimum of 30 minutes for Don Muang check-in. I don't think you can count on less than that, and it could even take more than an hour to get from wheels down-to-taxi at a busy time.

Depending on time of day and weather, it could be very tight. Arrival at Suvaranabhumi at 4 p.m. would be iffy at best and I'd book a backup Udon Thani flight. Three toll stops, and no chance at all if you don't take all three toll roads (around 85 or 90 baht total).

Gerald,

If you are saying 2.30 hours between arrival at BKK and departure at DMK I would say that unless you are arriving between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. then forget it. If you are arriving in one of the Euro zone windows (5.30-7 a.m. or 3-4 p.m.) then it could easily take an hour just to get on a gate, get through immigration and collect your bags. An early morning weekday arrival and you could sit at the first toll plaza for 30-40 mins at the best of times. Minimum check-in of 45 mins for the budget operators at DMK and it doesn't give you any leeway at all.

Thanks for all the help .... talking with Joy, she has just told me you can fly with Air Asia from the new airport to Udon Thani, looking on the Airasia site .... shes right ... BUT, the Thia airway plane is due in at 15:55, the airasia plane takes off at 16:15 :bigsmile:

Thanks for all the help .... talking with Joy, she has just told me you can fly with Air Asia from the new airport to Udon Thani, looking on the Airasia site .... shes right ... BUT, the Thia airway plane is due in at 15:55, the airasia plane takes off at 16:15 :bigsmile:
Now that one is definitely eye-popping tight... Edited by jacko
  • 1 month later...

I now have ticket :cry2 i fly out on the 20th Dec i've gone for the day flight with Thai airways the flight takes off at 11:55 and lands Bangkok on the 21st (which is a Friday) at 06:10 ..... Now the first flight to Udon Thani is around 09:30 then 13:30 (about) which flight would you buy the ticket for?

Edited by gerald

To be absolutely certain, go for the later flight. If you have an open ticket, you may be able to change to the earlier flight at the airport if you arrive at Don Muang in good time, which you should do.

Alan

You might be able to blag your way onto the earlier flight if you can make it. I did the same at JFK recently but was glad I booked the later flight for peace of mind.

3 hours and 20 minutes should be plenty of time between flights. I've sat for 4 hours waiting for the same situation on Air Asia you're gonna be in and it was way too long to sit after the long flight to get to BKK.

If you choose the later flight and you wanna grab some beers, head down to the level below the domestics and get 'em at the market rather than at one of the lounges or restaurants. Prices at the market are the same you'd pay at most 7/11's. Lots of places to eat down there too.

If you're a top member of one of the FF clubs then disregard all that and go get it for free :finger