Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I trade the stockmarket at home on my PC in Australia.

This is on a live platform with direct access to my trading account, which is linked to my online bank account.

I want to bring a laptop on my next 6 week trip to trade with.

I know jack shit about laptops and security.

How safe is it?

What precautions can I take?

What's the story with this Wi Fi shit? Can someone tap into this signal and steal my details?

Thanks in advance.

Hiya!

You can safely do this with a few precautions.

Now, I don’t know how much you know about basic online security, so I am going to tell you what you need to do, and if there is anything you don’t understand, just ask – I will reply (tho the reply will likely be on Monday – am just about to start a very busy weekend).

First, if you currently have your passwords saved to your broker or bank websites, you need to delete all the cookies on your computer prior to coming and make sure you DO NOT save your passwords again until you get home. Typing your passwords every time is the only safe way to do it while in LOS.

Second, you need to set your browser to “clear internet browsing history on exit”. This will ensure that people will not see where you went on the internet if they get hold of your computer.

Last, you need to make sure that the connection between your laptop and your broker website is secure with SSL before entering your password. You can check this by looking for the little green lock at the top of the browser (IE). And clicking on it to ensure it is signed by Verisign or another security firm.

Some people will disagree, but if you follow the above steps you are about as safe as you can be no matter where you are. I have been securing business networks for almost 20 years, and while there are some more exotic things you could do, in your case I do not think they would help, but might hurt (using advanced techniques without the knowledge of how they work is usually counter productive).

Hope this helps… If you need advice while your over there, PM me and I will send you my IM info.

Frosty

First, if you currently have your passwords saved to your broker or bank websites, you need to delete all the cookies on your computer prior to coming and make sure you DO NOT save your passwords again until you get home. Typing your passwords every time is the only safe way to do it while in LOS.

Why or how is financial computing on your own computer in Thailand more dangerous ... no, how is it different in any manner at all from in Australia?

A question about typing in passwords every time. Would doing this not make it possible for keyboard loggers to gain access to your passwords?

Alan

A question about typing in passwords every time. Would doing this not make it possible for keyboard loggers to gain access to your passwords?

The only safe computer is tied to a large rock, with all connecting cables pulled out, and located at a minimum of 1,000 feet under the sea.

Once a computer is connected to the Internet it CAN BE compromised. It doesn't matter if the computer is in the middle of a Pattaya go-go bar or the squad room of Scotland Yard, the online threat is identical. The idea that it is more unsafe to go online from Thailand than from Australia is ludicrous.

Answer to your question, Alan: Yes. The idea is not to have a keylogger onboard your computer, of course.

On a laptop that's always in your possession that no one else can install anything, you need a good firewall, and you need NOT to use it for recreational surfing to dodgy websites, those are the two most essential sofware safeguards. If you ignore either Rule No 1 or Rule No 2, you'd best not use it for any serious financial dealing. If you ignore Rule No 1, just bend over and take it like a man, you are totally screwed.

There are good security steps you can take to further help yourself, the best being to work in a "sandbox" such as SandboxIE, a free and secure environment, but just slow.

Edited by joekicker
I trade the stockmarket at home on my PC in Australia.

This is on a live platform with direct access to my trading account, which is linked to my online bank account.

I want to bring a laptop on my next 6 week trip to trade with.

I know jack shit about laptops and security.

How safe is it?

What precautions can I take?

What's the story with this Wi Fi shit? Can someone tap into this signal and steal my details?

Thanks in advance.

http://wireless-lan-forum.com/

Use a direct connection if you can.