Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

OK, you've stepped off the plane and have collected your luggage, now that you are haeding for customs, you have that choice to make - the red or green channel. I'm sure 99% of us will head straight for the green.

What I want to know is this, if you are carrying over the limit in fags and alcohol, and are going through the gren channel and you get tagged by the customs men. What happens next? Do they confiscate the contraband or do the y charge you the duty? Do you get a choice?

Now if you agree to pay the duty for your goods, just how is the amount owed calculated? Do they check your receipts - if you have them! As far as I remember fags at BKK were 500b for 200 and whisky such as Sang Som and Mehkong are roughly about 300b each at the airport. So, if the amount of duty owed is based on the price you paid in the LOS, would it still come out quids in?

Or, as is likely, is it all a litle more complicated than this?

Mr Broth, you simply are not going to get rigid answers to this. The fact is that in Thailand everything is negotiable, and what happens to a man discovered to have two extra cartons of cigarettes is totally, completely, absolutely unpredictable.

You will NOT be fined based on the price at Bangkok airport. That is a certainty. But you may not be fined, or you may be fined or you may be fined without a receipt if you catch my drift. It is completely arbitrary.

MOST people who bring two extra cartons of cigarettes get a finger wave and maybe a warning. A few, it ruins their whole day. But there is NOT one result that applies to everyone.

That's why some people love Thailand. That's why some can't cope.

Edited by joekicker
Mr Broth, you simply are not going to get rigid answers to this. The fact is that in Thailand everything is negotiable, and what happens to a man discovered to have two extra cartons of cigarettes is totally, completely, absolutely unpredictable.

You will NOT be fined based on the price at Bangkok airport. That is a certainty. But you may not be fined, or you may be fined or you may be fined without a receipt if you catch my drift. It is completely arbitrary.

MOST people who bring two extra cartons of cigarettes get a finger wave and maybe a warning. A few, it ruins their whole day. But there is NOT one result that applies to everyone.

That's why some people love Thailand. That's why some can't cope.

What has your post got to do with the OP. He is talking about entering England not Thailand. :D

Absolutely right. I did not read the title of the thread properly. My error and sorry for wasting Mr Broth's time. My post is for people coming to Thailand, not England.

I must say it'd be great if "in" were spelt correctly.

I think you have to say the post topic with a captain birdseye "pieces of eight" style voice.

...oooo arrrr just landed I blighty.

p.s if youve not got any booze they will let you away with some extra fags ( i know i was that soldier)