Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

28 from me :bigsmile:

But I would be interested in hearing from people where they are thinking of living in LOS?

I am not sure I could stay in Pattaya or BKK for the rest of my years.

When I am over in LOS for 4 weeks in Dec and I will be attending Thai language lessons.

I hope to be able to travel around and see more of LOS.

If any board members are living in the North of Thailand, e.g. Issan, Burinam and would like a visitor please let me know.

Mr Lost, just remember -- well, my balls aren't made out of crystal so I don't know about 28 years down the road -- but if you are thinking of going to a place that isn't Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket or something like that, you'll HAVE to speak Thai. You won't have to sound like a native, but you'll have to be able to get along.

If you can do that, and if you can get along without having to have a mall and a supermarket with first-quality T-bone steaks, there are some great places to live. I prefer the East (Chanthaburi, Trat, Aranayaprathet) or the West (Kanchanaburi, even Ratchaburi). But there are some very nice places in every region.

Joe

You don't have to speak Thai to live outside the areas you described.

I have lived in Thailand for the last 4 years. 6 months in Pattaya, which was enought for me IMHO. 18 months in Korat at the wifes home and then I bought a house in Udon Thani and lived there for the past 2 years plus.

I can not speak or read Thai but have enjoyed myself and got on with all the locals. You must realise that once you leve the areas you stated, the other areas have good schools where the pupils are taught English. As my two adopted daughters can verify.

So lost I would suggest you ingore these negitive vibes and go for it, I did it and did not look back.

If your ever up this way give me a call I will show you around and have a spare room in which you can stay.

The only time I leave is in the school holidays in April in which I go back to the wifes house.

Cheers Doug

Mr Lost, just remember -- well, my balls aren't made out of crystal so I don't know about 28 years down the road -- but if you are thinking of going to a place that isn't Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket or something like that, you'll HAVE to speak Thai. You won't have to sound like a native, but you'll have to be able to get along.

If you can do that, and if you can get along without having to have a mall and a supermarket with first-quality T-bone steaks, there are some great places to live. I prefer the East (Chanthaburi, Trat, Aranayaprathet) or the West (Kanchanaburi, even Ratchaburi). But there are some very nice places in every region.

I am already learning Thai with the help of MP3's I have and as I said I am planning on doing to Thai Language course in Dec when I am over for 4 weeks.

But thank you for the list of other places I will check them out on the internet and hopefully get to visit them :bigsmile:

Hi lost,

Nice to here from you. I'd say go for it. In most of the areas i've been in You can get everything meat from Europe, Austrialia, New Zealand etc.

The only thing I find hard to get is pickled onions, so I make them myself.

The cost of living is also a lot cheaper up hear. I bought a new three bedroom house with two bathrooms for 1,080, 000B, and this included land and all the transfer deeds, which came to 35,000B, the same type of place in Pattaya would have cost me 3 to 4 million Baht.

If you want to check on the local website here it's www.udonmap.com

It's very good and will answer any of your questions.

Cheers Doug

Very good point JK, as I have spent many a day in a small village near the Cambodian border and of course my Thai is not good. You have to get use to the translation problems, lack of good internet, Thai TV and all the little things you were used to at home.

Thai culture vs your culture can present its difficulties when away from a metro/tourist area and that isn't going to improve or go away because you are there.

Food selection is so limited, but I found a store in Sakeo that had frozen beef, so I was happy/content for some of the time. But, did lose weight over a period of 60 days, which wasn't a bad thing...

Well should hear in the next month will release me for early retirement ,

If ok I will leave work when im 55 in Aug and Sep be in LOS

Im looking to live in Khon Kean or Undon Thani

The lady im with at moment comes from Nam Phong ,all I know about this place

is it is about 35 kil from Khon Kean and did read ,use to be a air base in the area for USA

Seen some nice 3 bed houses to rent for 10000 bhts month.

If I get retirement should have more than 100000 bhts month to live on ,so sure be ok

Would love to take up Tennis and Badmington again also may try golf,

Also love to go on trips to other parts of LOS.

As Im sure I will plenty of time on my hands