Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Internet: anything better than TT&T

I have been using TT&T since ariving in Pattaya, but have been very dissatisfied with it lately. When is works it's ok, but sometimes it just freezes up and I have to resort to my dail-up connection. :bigsmile: Any tips would be appreciated

"Lately".....as in the last week. True has been terrible for the last week. Getting Yahoo to load is a pain! There appears to be problems with the bandwidth running to the US at the moment.

ToT has been dire during the past week. In addition to the regular DNS timeouts (I'm now using OpenDNS), there is a bigger problem with their SMTP server failing to pass on mail messages, so the sending of mail is a bit of a lottery at the moment.

The only way to determine if a mail has been sent is to cc yourself on every message.

Will be on TT&T from the end of this week, so we'll see if that's any better.

ToT has been dire during the past week. In addition to the regular DNS timeouts (I'm now using OpenDNS), there is a bigger problem with their SMTP server failing to pass on mail messages, so the sending of mail is a bit of a lottery at the moment.

The only way to determine if a mail has been sent is to cc yourself on every message.

Will be on TT&T from the end of this week, so we'll see if that's any better.

I've been getting frequent DNS and pageload timeouts, sporadic disconnects from Yahoo IM, emails from people asking why I haven't replied when I have. This appears to be a major mess. I just spoke to my hotel's internet tech and he said we are using CAT Telecom.

Has anyone seen mention of this in the media?

Don't switch to TOT. They are absolutely useless and their service is totally unreliable.

Alan

Agree and TT&T are much better. There is Internet problems at the moment with connectioms in Thailand and they are working on them they say.

Even my GPRS/EDGE has been bad (it's all relative, it was never good). If I get up any earlier to use it, there won't be any point going to bed.

Wow. After hearing all the complaints about other ISP, it sounds like TT&T isn't so bad after all. I guess I'll just try to be patient and hope they get their problems fixed sometimes soon. Thanks for all the feedback

Wow. After hearing all the complaints about other ISP, it sounds like TT&T isn't so bad after all. I guess I'll just try to be patient and hope they get their problems fixed sometimes soon. Thanks for all the feedback

Switched over from ToT to TT&T today and everything works!

Mails are getting delivered and response times are generally good.

My tot is normally great although for the last 2 evenings the speed has been noticibly down.

Although i wouldnt slag off tot as much as some say!

The whole thing is a lottery depending on location and number of users/time of day.

i had TOT in chiangmai for 1 1/2 years i never had any problems download and upload speeds were fine, i have moved down to hua hin i was going to change to TT&T but i didn't have much of a choice as the landlady had a TOT phoneline in and now i'm back in england trying to speak with my TW on skype has been a nightmare glad i've read above there is a general problem with ISP'S.

Switched over from ToT to TT&T today and everything works!

Mails are getting delivered and response times are generally good.

I had the opposite experience. I was with TT&T for mor than a year and had problems most of the time. Last February I moved to a higher floor in the same building in Jomtien and connected with TOT ADSL Goldcyber. It has been a big improvement and works nearly all of the time. With TT&T there were periods when I could not connect for days. I spent more time in their little office at Carrfour complaining, than I did on the Internet. :D

My tot is normally great although for the last 2 evenings the speed has been noticibly down.

Although i wouldnt slag off tot as much as some say!

The whole thing is a lottery depending on location and number of users/time of day.

Yeah, I think you are probably right about location and the number of users at a particular time. That would explain why different people have had so many different experiences with the same ISP.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/01/f...-optic-cab.html

"Large swaths of the Middle East and Southeast Asia fell into internet darkness after two major underseas fiber optic links were damaged off Egypt's coast on Wednesday."

This hitting anyone?

I think it affects Thailand as well. I am not an expert, but I think a lot of re-routing has slowed things down for us here as well for the last few days. I can still connect, but it seems to take a bit longer.

• 1 month later...

I am not happy with TOT satellite. Amazingly inconsistent. TOT says we have to keep(pay) for one year's service before we can cancel service. I think "Blue Tooth" might be the best thing going out here in Buriram.

I am with TOT in Songhla and am, quite literally, at the end of the line from the local exchange so the actual line can be pretty crap at times. That said, the guys (and gals) at the local TOT office and the engineers who were at my house within 30 minutes of advising the office of my problems couldn't have been any more helpful and corteous. Back in UK, whether for internet, gas, water, electric or satellite TV, I would have been lucky to find another human being to speak to.

Edited by CheshireTom
I am with TOT in Songhla and am, quite literally, at the end of the line from the local exchange so the actual line can be pretty crap at times. That said, the guys (and gals) at the local TOT office and the engineers who were at my house within 30 minutes of advising the office of my problems couldn't have been any more helpful and corteous. Back in UK, whether for internet, gas, water, electric or satellite TV, I would have been lucky to find another human being to speak to. :D Jeez, we even have real banks as well! :D
You can get to speak to a human being, eventually.....but not one in the UK.
You can get to speak to a human being, eventually.....but not one in the UK.

Jacko,

One of my pet hates in the UK. I don't mind incompetent governments, druggies on the street, crap health services, illegal immigrants etc .......... but the frustration of dealing with overseas call centres. :allright

Hi,

Been using TT&T for the last 2 years in Undon Thani and only had one problem and they were out within a hour. found out the dog had chewed through the line so they relocated it over two meters higher. This cured the problem and the charge was nil. I give the bloke a tip as he was very good. The only time i have problems is when i use the main computer in the house, the kids have been on chat lines and picked up a virus. I only use my own portable now and have no trouble. and i keep it locked when not using.

Cheers Doug.