Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I'm not an expat (yet) but I'm posting this here as it's likely that only an expat can answer my question.

Last trip I brought back a bum washer, did all the plumbing bit, then found that the quality wasn't good enough to make a watertight seal. Basically, the shower head bit and the connector on the hose were plastic and I simply couldn't tighten it enough - and when I put a tool on it, I broke it. I CANNOT get the fittings in the UK, I've tried.

So, here's the question. Where can I buy a good quality bum washer, one where the shower head and all connectors are metal. I'll be over in three weeks, so buying it is no problem, it's not knowing where to go.

Thanks.

I'm not an expat (yet) but I'm posting this here as it's likely that only an expat can answer my question.

Last trip I brought back a bum washer, did all the plumbing bit, then found that the quality wasn't good enough to make a watertight seal. Basically, the shower head bit and the connector on the hose were plastic and I simply couldn't tighten it enough - and when I put a tool on it, I broke it. I CANNOT get the fittings in the UK, I've tried.

So, here's the question. Where can I buy a good quality bum washer, one where the shower head and all connectors are metal. I'll be over in three weeks, so buying it is no problem, it's not knowing where to go.

Thanks.

Are you talking about those sprayers attached to the water intake on the toilet?

Everyone should graduate from the basic, hand held reach back and clean model, and join the team Toto. Toto is a Japanese company which makes bum washers. These things work like a charm. For colder countries there is even a seat warmer! Just google "toto washlet" and go nuts.

Here is a link. http://www.totousa.com/prodcatalog.asp?cid=41

Cheers,

FatherMojo

Are you talking about those sprayers attached to the water intake on the toilet?

Yes, that's the thing. If it's got another name I haven't heard it.

How do you use those sprays without getting your whole ass and legs wet?

Also some of them have a pretty powerful blast! I don't know If want that thing near my ass. They seem better suited for a Song Kran water fight.

1. A good aim.

2. It lets you clean your teeth at the same time. :D

The washing thingies are good for rinsing the floor if your aim ain't too good

you can get a complete kit in home mart or any of the smaller hardware stores around pattaya , i bought 3 new ones for my house from a hardware store as you go towards sukomvit along pattaya klang, get just before the juction of 3rd road and theres a cut thru on your right, about 50 yards up on the right

Thanks.

I take it you are in the UK? Sorry I can't help you, but, I should think a quality one would be easy to find. Here in the US we have one set up in every kitchen sink i have ever seen. Not only good for washing your ass, but good for washing the dishes or your vegies as well :chogdee Have you tried Ebay or an online plumbing supply store?

The one that I bought had a rubber washer inside it, which is essential to stop it leaking at the "gun" . If you wrap plumbers tape around the connection from the hose to the household water pipe you should find that you dont need to tighten it up that much to stop it leaking.

HOMEPRO which is part of Carrefour department store, Pattaya Central road just over third road on the left side heading towards sukhumvit has a very big range of plumbing fixtures of all types. Its the most likely place to get one, I bought one there but I got a plastic one and didnt notice if they had metal ones.

Thanks, I'll try that. The reason for wanting all-metal fittings is that I've got high water pressure and I doubt if any plastic fitting will tighten enough to make a waterproof seal.

Put a bit of thread tape on before tightening and it is normally ok.

ozboy

I could put one of those things on my toilet just by getting a Y adapter.

The only problem I have is in the winter... The damn water is too fucking cold.

:bigsmile:

Thanks, I'll try that. The reason for wanting all-metal fittings is that I've got high water pressure and I doubt if any plastic fitting will tighten enough to make a waterproof seal.

I found out plastic threads are not really that water tight when I was replacing sprinkler valves in my yard.

Don't you have home depot there? They sell an elastic tape called "Plumbers tape." Heck you should be able to find that in any hardware store in the plumbing dept.

Wrap the threads 4 to 8 revolutions, and you'll have a watertight seal. It's cheap too. Shouldn't cost you more than a pound.

Edited by eltib

Thanks for the suggestions, but on the one that I bought with the plastic fittings, it didn't leak through the thread but round the seal. I couldn't tighten it enough to get it watertight, if it had been metal I think I'd have been able to.

I do use plumbing (PTFE) tape and I do know what I'm doing with plumbing - I split the water pipe and fitted in a T piece, elbow joint and isolation valve with no problems, but those were all metal, it was only the plastic fittings on the ONLY bit I can't get in the UK that stopped me.

High water pressure.......in Pattaya? My incoming main varies from zero (most of the daytime) to a geriatric piddle. If your high pressure is from your own booster pump, you might reduce the switch seting. I put metal fixtures into plastic threads (using PTFE tape) without producing leaks, although I was nervous tightening them as I might have broken the plastic piping within the wall!

Thanks for the suggestions, but on the one that I bought with the plastic fittings, it didn't leak through the thread but round the seal. I couldn't tighten it enough to get it watertight, if it had been metal I think I'd have been able to.

I do use plumbing (PTFE) tape and I do know what I'm doing with plumbing - I split the water pipe and fitted in a T piece, elbow joint and isolation valve with no problems, but those were all metal, it was only the plastic fittings on the ONLY bit I can't get in the UK that stopped me.

Maybe try using two washers (something I have done before) and maybe it wont need to be tightened up so much or perhaps buy a new flexible hose connection (normally used to connect from the wall to cistern) which should be metal connections and "should" fit the "gun" but dont know if you will get a long enough one or if too expensive.

ozboy

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd finish this thread off.

I ended up going over Sukhumvit to a Homemart (opposite Big C) and buying a "Cotto" version. Perfect, didn't even need a tool to tighten it, fingers were enough.

I can now say with absolute certainty that mains water, in England, in April, is COLD. :wtf

Wakes you up in the morning though. :D