Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I will be coming to Pattaya in May and wish to know if there is anywhere I can get San Mig Lite beer?

I would also like to find out if there is anywhere that I would be able to buy large man's size clothing around town? I am about 140Kg with a broad build. Thanks for your help

Elvis C

I always drink San Miguel Lite when in Thailland. I find Heiniken and Singha harsh.

Seconded, though "harsh" is probably not the right word.

I drink easily 25 beers a day when in Pats, and it's a lot easier with a light beer.

Sam Mik Light is as easy to find as any beer other than the 2 Thai beers, virtually every beer bar has it.

I always drink San Miguel Lite when in Thailland. I find Heiniken and Singha harsh.

When i 1st got to thailand, i didnt know how to pronounce singha right lol I drank that for a while, till i tryed San Miguel Light... i then switched over to that. Im pretty much a piss beer drinker... no dark beers.. coors light, bud light..ect... also dont care for the taste of Heiniken either..

Lou

San Migeul Lite was pretty much the order of the day when hanging out with LeoTex and pdxlou on the last trip over. I tend to agree that it gets the job done with a better taste than a lot of the alternatives. I'm not sure if its just the Thailand version of Heiniken and some others that I don't care for or what. Heiniken in the states and in Europe works great for me, but not in LOS.

On a side note, one night in FLB last trip, I was into my third or so San Miguel Lite when one of the bar girls says, "Why you drink San Miguel Lite? Why you no drink Tiger?" Ever seeking to be the polite guest and being open to a "When in Rome..." outlook, I said, "Sure." She had a Tiger sent over and while we were all engaged in some large group version of the dice game, I had another Tiger, but I then figured two in the name of politeness were more than enough and I got back on the an Miguel Lite horse after that.

Funny, now I'm thirsty and again checking airfares and exchange rates.

~ Pen

To me the San Mig here is unpaletable and the Light is just as bad. I wouldn't drink either even if that was all that was available.

If you are used to San Mig from Spain as I am, then this rubbish here is just that, utter rubbish. Strangely popular though but it did take 2+ years to catch on as when I first got free samples of both I could not even give them away.

This is an opinion rather than fact but I’ve always believed the taste of beers like Heineken and the likes of San Miguel light which are brewed under licence in Thailand could be affected by water quality.

Just my opinion guys.

This is an opinion rather than fact but I’ve always believed the taste of beers like Heineken and the likes of San Miguel light which are brewed under licence in Thailand could be affected by water quality.

Just my opinion guys.

Well, for years the water has been credited with being a major contributor to the quality of bagels and pizza dough / crusts in New York City (and the inability to reproduce them anywhere else on the planet), so given the percentage of beer that is water, this may very well be a culprit in it all.

~ Pen

To me the San Mig here is unpaletable and the Light is just as bad. I wouldn't drink either even if that was all that was available.

If you are used to San Mig from Spain as I am, then this rubbish here is just that, utter rubbish. Strangely popular though but it did take 2+ years to catch on as when I first got free samples of both I could not even give them away.

FWI, they are unrelated beers. The San Mig from PI has been around for a long time and has no relationship to the Spanish beer.

San Mig Light was my beer of choice while in Thailand and you can find it pretty much everywhere. I even ran into the San Miguel Girls back in November who spotted me drinking it and gave me a hat, t-shirt and some other novelty items. Had a few pictures taken with the girls, but never saw them.

Well, being a usually nonalcoholic drinker, but since one of my regulars love San Miguel Lite, I have tasted it from time to time, and with that bit of sour lime in it to smooth out some of the bitterness and lesser alcohol content even a guy with a sweet thooth like me can manage to pour one down my throut in between the orange and apple juices! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

About big clothes lots of souvenir stalls sell extra XXX large ones, try the stalls in Mike Shopping Mall!

Plahgat

The prevailing opinion is correct, San Mig Light is pretty much available everywhere in Patts. I personally prefer the San Mig Pils to the Light. However, better than both IMO is Beerlao, a German tasting lager with good body and a very smooth aftertaste. Unfortunately, Beerlao is nowhere near as widely available as the San Migs.

Yeah its a nice drop alright, my beer of choice now.

After having seen Heinekens sitting in sub zero temps for hours on end and not freezing it got me wondering what they put in the stuff.

I thought San Mig light was light in calories and not alcohol, am I wrong about that?

You are absolutley correct.

It's "Lite" in calories only.

Now while I don't take my reading glasse with me when drinking I'm sure the content is around 5% like most.

I still don't get why they stick a piece of lime in the fucking thing then call it a lemon....

They don't do it in the Pines but yeah, I know, TIT.

San Miguel + the Lite don't taste anything like the real San Miguel which is good. I also prefer Chang.

If you enter Mike's Shopping Mall from the Beach Rd you'll big sizes (up to 5XL I think) in the small shops.

Edited by elef
  • 3 weeks later...

I totally agree.

When I was in Patts in October I ordered a San Mig Lite it was bloody arwful a bit like the no carb beer you can get in the USA

• 3 weeks later...
FWI, they are unrelated beers. The San Mig from PI has been around for a long time and has no relationship to the Spanish beer.

Well, yes, it has a very close relationship, literally as close as you and your mom. The Philippines beer and brewery are the parents of the Spanish ones.

They have not lived together for a good long time however and no longer have responsibility for each other.

I doubt that. I'm sure the water quality is exactly the same or so close you couldn't tell.

However I'd suspect that the source and handling of the water would be the reason that San Miguel, say, tastes quite different in the Phils, Thailand and Indonesia, for example - which it definitely does.

But there are other reasons to consider, such as making it for "the local taste" like Thai cooks do with spaghetti, say. Coca Cola in Thailand is certainly different from Coca Cola in the US, for example, and not just because of the water. Thai Coke is definitely sweeter.