Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 250 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Overstayed visit to Thailand

I have a friend who overstayed his last visit to Thailand. Paid 20000 Bt fine, and that was entered in his Passport . Will he have a problem to get a 60 days visa next time he wants to come to Thailand.

Advice is greatly appreciated

No you won't.. I mean, your friend won't. It's a minor offence. Once you've... er he has paid up and made amends, there is no further problem.

In Thailand, overstay is like a parking ticket - not reckless driving. Even a long overstay is just overtime parking.

Edited by joekicker
I have a friend who overstayed his last visit to Thailand. Paid 20000 Bt fine, and that was entered in his Passport . Will he have a problem to get a 60 days visa next time he wants to come to Thailand.

Advice is greatly appreciated

That seems pretty steep, how long did he overstay?

That seems pretty steep, how long did he overstay?

20,000 baht is not at all steep if you overstay 40 days or more; it's exactly right. In answer to the next question: Because, eventually you can't get an extension and overstaying seems such a good idea at the time, without a bit of worry for 40 days or more, until the very, very end.

A long overstay is kind of like a leap off a very, very tall building: For a long, long time, all you think is, "Well, this isn't so bad."

Your friend will have no problem getting his 60 day visa. A friend of mine over stayed by three years. He then "lost" his pasport went to his embassy applied for a new one and gave him self up to imirgration paid 20000 bht fine because they said they had no record of him entering Thailand. He had already booked a flight home, no stamp was entered in his pasport and he returned within two months. Thailand welcomes all with money :banana

not a wise move regardless

Do you mean overstay is not a wise move? Well, agreed about that, but people do lots of unwise things, and overstay in Thailand isn't the worst of them by any means.

Once it has happened, though, you have to deal with it.

do not overstay.....now a days if you are walking the streets without a valid visa and a minor incident occurs and the police get involved...

YOU ARE IN TROUBLE .....be warned....

years ago you could get away with it not now though...

i used to overstay all the time and they add all the penelties in your passport..one time when ariving in thailand with a 60 day tourist visa the boys at immigration pulled me aside and went through all my stuff and first thing they asked me was are you going to overstay your visa this time ?? as i had a ticket out in 30 days i said no sir then he starts grilling me about were and what is my buissness in thailand and i told the truth that i work offshore and holiday in thailand but they were not buying it...so after a big delay at the airport and every big wig immigration officer giving me dirty looks while whispering to his underlings, they let me go minus my duty free booze and i was sent on my way with a shit eating grin for my troubles from immigration.....

i was a nervous wreck when i got out of there and vowed never to overstay again this all happend back in the late 1980's....and yes i did get a new passport when i got back to singapore ....its much stricter now a days and moore expensive too .....good luck...

Thanks for the good response chaps. As it looks as if it is for myself, it is not. My mate is a young 22 year old, who actually married a Thai Girl in South Africa. She is in the north, and he has been sending money to support her, I can hear the snuggles. But sometimes at that age, it might actually the real thing. He wants to stay there, but how? First help would be a longer visa, also not sure how. He does not want to be rejected by immigration, especially as his mother will be with him,as they heard that you need a family member there, if they want to get married in Thailand.

Please not too many wise-cracks and more infomred advise

Thanks

Please not too many wise-cracks and more infomred advise

Thanks

His wife can sponsor him, there is a specific immigration category for that, and the Chiang Mai immigration office will fill him in. He needs an income, however of (I think) 45,000 baht a month, something in that area. The deal is: She sponsors him in return for which he has to support her, that's the law.

It's a one-year non-immigrant visa, which you can roll over very, very easily after you get the first one. There is no need to leave Thailand, ever, if that's what he wants.

There are many other ways to stay in Thailand, including getting a job and so on, but they all are conditional. A "spouse visa" aka "Thai Wife Visa" is a clear-cut one.

Again: There is NO problem with his previous overstay, whatever and however long it was.

I must add that someone is already giving him TERRIBLE advice about this. Number one, you said he married this girl in South Africa, so that means he's married, period. He can do any ceremony he wants in Thailand including legal marriage, religious or whatever, up to him. But legally, by your description, he is married under Thai and just about any other law.

Number two, you most certainly do not need a relative to be married or re-married in Thailand, that's ridiculous.

Finally, his mother and him will be two different cases at immigration. There is almost no (pardon the pun) relation.

Edited by joekicker

Thanks to the OP for the thread. If you don't mind I'll use it to ask a related question...

I mailed off to the Thai Consulate here in the US for a multi entry visa with 3 re-entry stamps but they call to say the they only issue 2 stamps now days. So I have the visa which I understand means that I can stay in LOS for 60 days before having to leave for a visa run and then when I get back I'll have another 60 days.

But my trip is from May 8th till Sept 22nd or a total of about 137 days.

I don't mind the visa run but is there a way to deal with the extra 17 days without having to risk overstaying?

Thanks

You can get an extension on the 60 days at immigration without leaving Thailand, then do a visa run. A second extension can be obtained on the second entry. I believe they are issuing 15 days extensions now...if I am wrong someone will post a correction.

Edited by jacko

Shilo:

You arrive in Thailand, you get a 60-day stamp in your passport. Within 60 days you must leave, or you can go to immigration and for 2,000 baht get a 30-extension, after which (total of 90 days) you must leave.

So. You go out of Thailand. You have used your first entry-visa permission in entirety. It is gone.

But you have another one. You come back to Thailand and begin exactly the same thing again, no difference in any manner. You stay for 60 days or less, or you get a 30-day extension and leave in less than 91 days.

If you have a visa there is no other day-counting, there is no such thing as "total days". Each discrete, different, separate stay begins the day you arrive and it is totally finished when you leave. You must leave in 60 or 90 days, and the visit is over, finished, done, never again considered.

You may be confused about people who arrive with no visa at all. They have to worry about a "total day" rule which does not in any manner, at any time, affect you or anyone with a visa.

anyone caught outside the airport with an overstay will/can end up in jail.

Watch what you wish,it,s a crime.

You're not wrong but you are off-topic. This thread is about someone who has done the crime, done the time.