Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

CHEAP FLIGHTS FOR AUSSIES

air Asia has a sale on at the moment. Flights from KL/GC are down to $199. You must book and pay before 8th May but the flights are upto 16th Novem ber. I have a flight Kl to GC in July and a return flight GC/KL/GC in sept/November. the three flights cost $600 including taxes and charges. Lots of options to get to KL from BKK (around $45 with air asia) Get in quickly

I have my flight booked and paid for buta couple of my mates at work will be interested in flights at that price. Thanks mate.

• 4 weeks later...

The Air Asia X flights are OK if you live in Brisbane or the Gold Coast.

If you live in Sydney or Melbourne then you are going to need 2 connections to get to Bangkok and since Air Asia X is a Low Cost Carrier it is advisable to leave at least 3 hours between each connection which makes for a very long trip to/from Bangkok. Also on the return flight from Kuala Lumpur an overnight in Gold Coast is required adding further to the cost.

I recently researched airfare prices from Bangkok to Sydney and it is just as cheap to travel direct, or via Singapore, on a full service carrier.

I am booked on a flight that leaves GC 9.35pm sunday, giving me all day to get there and I return on a flight that arrives in GC early morning. I have been paying around $A1,100+ for flights booked in BKK, return to BKK for a couple of years now so its quite a saving for me. the extra time doesnt bother me as I dont work anymore. If you are short of time then the money probably isnt as important.

I would find it very stressing to put together an itinerary purely on Low Cost Carriers. I also come home with over 30 kgs of luggage which would cost an arm and a leg on Air Asia X and other Low Cost Carriers. There is also food and drink to consider which you need to pay extra on a Air Asia X and the added hassle of no in-flight entertainment. If these things do not bother you and the money saved is signigicant then go for it.

I recently purchased a return Cathay business class airfare from Bangkok to Singapore for ~A$420 and a return Qantas flight from Singapore to Sydney for ~A$1000.

I priced the same of sort of trip using Tiger/Air Asia, Air Asia X and Virgin Blue for the dates I wanted to travel plus taking into consideration the excess luggage and the trip would have cost me more than A$1,200. I prefer to spend a few hundred dollars more and have peace of mind.

I recently purchased a return Cathay business class airfare from Bangkok to Singapore for ~A$420 and a return Qantas flight from Singapore to Sydney for ~A$1000.

Don't both Qantas and BA fly direct Bangkok-Sydney?

Also Emirates...Ethiad....

Edited by jacko
Don't both Quatus and BA fly direct Bangkok-Sydney?

Also Emirates...Ethiad....

Yes Qantas and British Airways have direct flights to Bangkok but I like to spend a night in Singapore. The cost of the airfare via Singapore is not much more than the direct option.

I am almost certain that Emirates and Etihad do not fly direct Sydney-Bangkok but I would not even consider flying them unless they were part of the Oneworld Alliance.

Yes Qantas and British Airways have direct flights to Bangkok but I like to spend a night in Singapore. The cost of the airfare via Singapore is not much more than the direct option.

I am almost certain that Emirates and Etihad do not fly direct Sydney-Bangkok but I would not even consider flying them unless they were part of the Oneworld Alliance.

I guess you have your reasons to add the cost and dog-leg to Singapore.

You avoid airlines because they are NOT in the One World Alliance :bigsmile: ... For me it's a bit like saying I wouldn't be a member of a club that would have me as a member. The One world alliance has BA in it....!

Edited by jacko
I guess you have your reasons to add the cost and dog-leg to Singapore.

The difference in cost is only minimal and I like to get out and about in Singapore. Just like I spend 1 night in either the Hilton/Holiday Inn or Intercontinental in Bangkok after leaving Pattaya.

You avoid airlines because they are NOT in the One World Alliance :banana ... For me it's a bit like saying I wouldn't be a member of a club that would have me as a member. The One world alliance has BA in it....!

For me as I live in Australia and Qantas is part of the Oneworld Alliance it makes sense to book all my flights on Oneworld Alliance airlines. Star Alliance and Skyteam do not have a domestic presence in Australia.

From my perspective the following points I posted in another thread are very relevant.

I am a Qantas frequent flyer with Platinum status, equivalent to Oneworld Emerald.

Some of the benefits are first class checkin when using any Oneworld airline, fast track through immigration and quarantine when arriving back into Australia, extra luggage allowance on Qantas flights, priority luggage tags on most Oneworld airlines, complimentary lounge access including first class lounges and in Australia I can get into the lounge even when not flying, 100% bonus on frequent flyer points when flying Qantas, Bristish Airways and American Airlines, accumulate frequent flyer points with partners like car hire and hotel stays, preferential seating including pre-allocating exit rows, occassionally get a personal welcome on board the aircraft and I have asked and received business class amenity kits and noise cancelling headphones when travelling economy, get first preference when flights are cancelled etc.

The priority check-in alone is more than worth it. When I had no status I remember waiting in the economy queues in BKK airport for over an hour. Now I get served within 5 minutes of joining the queue.

Lounge access is OK if you have a few hours to wait. Have a few champagnes and something to eat as the food on the aircraft is hit and miss.

Last year I redeemed an Oneworld RTW award and since then I have almost accumulated enough points for another 2 Oneworld RTW awards. Just need to find the time to use them.

The biggest negative is that you are tied into using the Oneworld alliance which does not always have the cheapest airfares but I can live with that for now.

Fair points, when I was travelling for work I always used BA as they went through the UK (my origin) and pretty much everywhere else in the world.

Now I travel on my buck and despite travelling Biz Class, I look for best price. BA isn't going to offer that, nor Qantas.

Domestic presence matters not for the little old UK, and we have quite a few alternatives to BA, but my important factor, is alternatives to LHR.