Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Will Prices Keep Going UP

I am planning a trip in September or October from the USA. The lowest prices I have been finding from Chicago or MSP is about $1200.00. That is a huge increase from what I paid in February this year. What with oil prices going up everyday I am not sure if I should book now or wait in hopes that airlines will drop their prices when the off season starts. I know there are no definite answers anyone can give me but hoping to get some informed opinions on how to proceed.

As a side note I can go on to Northwests website and they are quoting a price of over $1700.00 but can find the same flights for $1200.00 from travel websites. Only difference is that the travel sites say the flight is KLM. It is actually a NWA flight with KLM partnership.

Im toying with the idea of booking my flight shortly too! Im not flying until next January though, plus Ill be flying from the U.K.! Ive seen a direct flight with Eva Air for 528 pounds, and Im really tempted to book it. I normally book about 3 or 4 months before I fly, but Im really uncertain nw , what with the rising prices etc! So I may well book it next week!!!

I am planning a trip in September or October from the USA. The lowest prices I have been finding from Chicago or MSP is about $1200.00. That is a huge increase from what I paid in February this year. What with oil prices going up everyday I am not sure if I should book now or wait in hopes that airlines will drop their prices when the off season starts. I know there are no definite answers anyone can give me but hoping to get some informed opinions on how to proceed.

As a side note I can go on to Northwests website and they are quoting a price of over $1700.00 but can find the same flights for $1200.00 from travel websites. Only difference is that the travel sites say the flight is KLM. It is actually a NWA flight with KLM partnership.

Hi my Friend.

If you find a flight that you think is the lowest price i myself would book NOW,

With fuel prices continuing to rocket there is not going to be a reduction in

flight prices indeed over the next few weeks i expect prices to go sky high.

Indeed i have already booked my flight for Xmas in April and has already gone

over £100 more than i paid for it. So if you see good flight BOOK NOW.

Im toying with the idea of booking my flight shortly too! Im not flying until next January though, plus Ill be flying from the U.K.! Ive seen a direct flight with Eva Air for 528 pounds, and Im really tempted to book it. I normally book about 3 or 4 months before I fly, but Im really uncertain nw , what with the rising prices etc! So I may well book it next week!!!

I would book NOW before it's to late mate Eva are good, but are due to raise there

prices very soon due to increase in fuel prices.

I have already booked my Xmas flight with Gulf Air at £496 but already it is now up

to £590 for same flight, GET IT BOOKED MATE.

Edited by rainsberger

Starting in June, American Airlines is going to charge you $15 to carry your suitcase. Do you think there is a chance they will bring down their fares?

This is a bad time to be an airline customer. The airlines are in financial trouble and there's only one way to get out.

Prices out of LAX during that period are running about $950.00 with China Airlines. Domestic flight though from the Twin Cities to LA is costing close to $600.00. So I think my best bet is to take the flight direct from the Midwest to Narita and on to BKK.

Tuesday the price for PNS to BKK was $1196

Thursday the price was $1293

This is for late September flight.

I am betting that the price will drop for a week or so 90 days out.

So, middle of June I'm hoping to get ticket for $1196 .

We will see how that plan works out.

• 3 weeks later...

I booked with EVA for January at the beginning of April

cost with all add ons 801 Euro, its now up to 990 Euro.

Not via the EVA site but from a local website.

Its Amsterdam -Bangkok by the way.

sorry thats 900 Euro

Tuesday the price for PNS to BKK was $1196

Thursday the price was $1293

Today for late September it's $1,385

I ended up booking a Cathay flight for the middle of September from LAX. Price was $924.00 total cost. I then was able to get a roundtrip flight from Minneapolis for $268.00. Total cost comes to about $1200.00. A lot more than what I have paid on previous trips but times they are a changing.

Where is PNS?

Edited by kikc69

If you are booking flight long time in advance;

Make sure you are protected incase airline goes BUST:

i would book now. since march i have been to pattaya 3times and returning next week for another 2weeks and have watched prices rise

march jfk to bkk thai air(non stop) $1200

april bos to bkk American $1011

may jfk to bkk china-airlines $1190

june jfk to bkk japan airline $1470

Edited by andy617
I've never got anything less than $1,100 from the midwest. So consider anything less than $1,300 a real bargain.

At the current rate (euro/ dollar) I consider that ($ 1300) a bargain too, considering you Americans have to fly across half the globe (even more than we Europeans).

I come to Thailand twice a year (february/ march and september). 3 years ago a ticket was about 700 euro incl. tax. In february 2008 is was about 900 euro and when I looked at the price for next winter it's almost impossible to get anything cheaper than 1000 euro unless you've booked already. So I booked yesterday with Emirates for 820 euro, which was (apart from EVA Air) by far the cheapest fare I can find. Emirates is more flexibel with the conditions (being permitted to change date, cancel (all at a charge ofcourse))

Fuel surcharges and local taxes have made flying more expensive. Last year I flew China Airlines and paid 175 euro in taxes and surcharges. Now it is 350 euro!!

So if you ask whether to book now or later, BOOK NOW! Like said before by others, prices will go up and will not come down in the next months (or even years)!!

Edited by dennismoore

I'm coming back in November for 3 weeks and just booked part of the trip. I go via China Airlines out of SFO and have found that if I book it as 2 separate 1-way trips I save money over what the round trip fare would have been. Don't ask me why because I don't know; it just works out that way.

So, I booked my return flight from BKK to SFO. Because the point of origin is BKK the fare was priced on CI's web site in baht. I decided to gamble on either the dollar strengthening a bit in the next couple of months or the baht weakening, either of which would result in a higher fare in the dollars equivalent for that leg when that happens. CI's fares do seem to fluctuate quite a bit in the months leading up to a trip, so I'm holding off on the outbound flight and monitoring the prices.

I booked with EVA for Jan £532.easily the cheapest direct flight I could find, Thai wanted over £700 and BA wanted over £800, not sure how this will effect tourist numbers if the prices keep going up.

EDIT: checked the same flight today, and now its £622, seems I got there just in time

Edited by pattaya_mad