Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Motorcycle insurance

I am thinking of buying a new motorcycle (only a Yamaha Fino etc) but wondered what the position was for reliable insurance in Thailand. I come home to England for a few weeks at a time and the bike would be parked at my Condo while I was away. I am worried that the bike would be stolen while I was away so would want good insurance cover.

Does anyone know what the insurance position is ? can you get reliable insurance and does it pay out in the event of a theft.

Does anyone know what the insurance position is ? can you get reliable insurance and does it pay out in the event of a theft.

You have to have liability insurance, there is no choice. That is for accidents of course. There is very good coverage available for accidents, 1st party and 3rd, both. (You MUST have 3rd party at a minimum).

Theft insurance is difficult to impossible because of a lot of fraud and many thefts. You'd have to get lucky to get a decent policy that would really be worthwhile. There are no general policies I've ever heard of but you might get an agent to tailor one especially for you.

Google

thailand motorcycle insurance

for good advice and commercial leads on arranging various types of insurance.

I get my insurance from an insurance office (as usual cant remember the name) directly across from the HIMA club on 3rd Rd. (between pat klang and pat north)

They have different levels of cover and will also sort out the government mandatory stuff regarding tax / government insurance etc

When the bike is 5 years old they can also get you the thai MOT for it so you can renew tax etc!

PM me if you need me to dig out the name from my docs

vid

As said above liability insurance is a must. The obligatory cheap insurance does not supply sufficient cover, for example, the bail amount you would need would not be enough for a falang, it is twice that for a Thai. It might keep you out of the cells until cash, that you might never see again, could be obtained.

Sufficient cover can be had for about 2,500 baht/year above the oligatory cover. Buy these insurances via a broker from the same company if you can. This figure does not cover theft... that bumps the premium up a great deal, to about 7,000. Obvious reasons.

But I did get a deal from where I bought my motorcycle new, theft insurance for 2 years, 80% value for 1st year, 50% for the second, about 2,500 baht again. This policy had to be taken up within a week of buying the bike, from the dealer.

My other insurance was via AA brokers, near the Big C on Sukhumvit.

Edited by jacko

Make sure the person who sells you the insurance, speaks English. After purchasing a new Honda Click in 2006, I found out later that the insurance that the dealer recommended up front was not really full coverage. Sometimes the phrase, "you get what you pay for" applies. I suggest that you hear and see it in English.

Do dealers offer full coverage or just what is mandatory? And will I be better off buying from the dealer initally or should I shop for the 1st policy?I too will be buying a bike next spring when I move.

LTGTR there's really no answer to those questions. It depends on the dealer, and it depends what he might have in the way of bargains this week. Insurance is a VERY cutthroat business in Thailand and you'll never get the best policy. Look at the one the dealer is offering, because he might cut you a deal. But be prepared to walk.

A dealer does not HAVE to offer any insurance at all, it is up to you to be covered.

Whats the point , falang always wrong , police courupt ,judges, and thais dont see uther thais faults, you will never win.Baht buses pay police so that they are never wrong ,

That's bullshit. One good reason to buy decent insurance is that they don't want to pay a claim unless it is absolutely your fault. They will do the negotiating and all you have to do is explain what happened then keep your mouth shut.

ADDED - Check with PCD International on 3rd Road. Phone - 038 422 825. A farang lady will take care of your questions. She is a European but speaks good English.

Edited by Gary

Thanks for those insights.I will shop around for insurance.Now about securing a bike when parked.......

Edited by LTGTR
Thanks for those insights.I will shop around for insurance.Now about securing a bike when parked.......
This might be an issue if it is going to be parked in the open for an extended period.

I have one of those little locks for the front disc ..... short term parking.

Also a big padlock and cable for those less secure places..... extended parking.

When I go away for several days the bikes get locked together in the kitchen!...Long term....:D

Edited by jacko
This might be an issue if it is going to be parked in the open for an extended period.

I have one of those little locks for the front disc ..... short term parking.

Also a big padlock and cable for those less secure places..... extended parking.

When I go away for several days the bikes get locked together in the kitchen!...Long term....:D

I have a strong cable and stronger lock and will buy a disc lock with alarm for short term use.

I won't be able to bring my bike inside the highrise,so other arrangements will be made.Thx

The insurance offered by the dealers is usually the cheapest crap available and not worth the cost IMHO. Go to a good agent and they can usually offer a number of policys. I use the agent above Fair Properties ( go through the Fair Properties office and then take the stairs up to the second or third floor) and which is located just before Royal Garden on the opposite side of Second Road. Tooie speaks good English and understands the fine print in Thai. A great combination!

Cheers

The insurance offered by the dealers is usually the cheapest crap available and not worth the cost IMHO. Go to a good agent and they can usually offer a number of policys. I use the agent above Fair Properties ( go through the Fair Properties office and then take the stairs up to the second or third floor) and which is located just before Royal Garden on the opposite side of Second Road. Tooie speaks good English and understands the fine print in Thai. A great combination!

Cheers

Big help-will do-thanks.

I think it would be more accurate to say that the insurance offered (perhaps 'freely' included) by the dealers is the minimal obligatory insurance. It is only about 500 baht/ year.

They dealers may well offer theft insurance (as I purchased) at a price.

The obligatory insurance must be purchased, it is required for vehicle registration, it is also available at the vehicle registration department near The School of the Regents and at any brokers. But you can buy it from wherever you wish, and with whichever insurance company you wish. If you decide you would like a more comprehensive insurance, you will still need to purchase the 'obligatory' one. It makes sense that these two policies are from the same supplier, to simplify any claim. Try putting a claim through 2 different companies and see who gets left in the middle holding the liability.

I think it would be more accurate to say that the insurance offered (perhaps 'freely' included) by the dealers is the minimal obligatory insurance. It is only about 500 baht/ year.

The obligatory insurance must be purchased, it is required for vehicle registration, it is also available at the vehicle registration department near The School of the Regents and at any brokers. But you can buy it from wherever you wish, and with whichever insurance company you wish. If you decide you would like a more comprehensive insurance, you will still need to purchase the 'obligatory' one. It makes sense that these two policies are from the same supplier, to simplify any claim. Try putting a claim through 2 different companies and see who gets left in the middle holding the liability.

Slight thread hijack-----

Does the dealer supply the plate (at a price) or am I responsible to procure it myself?

The dealer is responsible for getting the initial plate.

Cool.

1-Select bike

2-Bring baht

3-Ride home

4-Shop for insurance

5-Stay alive

6-Why did more than half the number of my posts disappear today?

Edited by LTGTR
6-Why did more than half the number of my posts disappear today?
I seem to have lost about 1,300 posts and have dropped to a 'Senior' from 'Elite'. I see Joe Kicker is still Elite but has only 2300 posts now.... must be wrong, he does that many daily! 2guns Edited by jacko
I seem to have lost about 1,300 posts and have dropped to a 'Senior' from 'Elite'. I see Joe Kicker is still Elite but has only 2300 posts now.... must be wrong, he does that many daily! :D

MM is aware of this anomaly but has not found the cause.

I'm glad I haven't fallen from Elite, because that's when you lose the FLB Limo weekend service and only get free drinks and bar fines.

I'm glad I haven't fallen from Elite, because that's when you lose the FLB Limo weekend service and only get free drinks and bar fines.

Ur killin' me

Guest anto1

Cheers

Thanks for that but she is not over Fair properties ,she is over Northern Thai reality in the location you describe .Just went to her and got insurance a few days ago .She offered me insurance for a Honda Phantom .Details Tooie tel no ;038-723-497

Aside from being expensive, I heard insurance companies don't like to cover theft and will sell you a cheap version that pays less than the replacement cost. Keep in mind that stealing motorcycles is a lucrative economic opportunity for teenagers or young adults.

Even for local motorcycle business owners, theft is a risk passed on to tourists, who don't have coverage. As many times, I have rented, the only thing I had to worry about is a missing helmet.

Mr bonds, yes indeed - and not only lucrative, but a thriving growth industry. Theft insurance is hard to come by, and GOOD theft insurance is harder to find than an enthusiastic six-holer long-time.