Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I do about 5 flight per year to LOS, and i'm looking at becoming a FF. Eva looks very promising at the minute.

Can someone give me advice on airlines they are FF with, experiences they've had, and the services the airlines provide.

Thanks in advance

I do about 5 flight per year to LOS, and i'm looking at becoming a FF. Eva looks very promising at the minute.

Can someone give me advice on airlines they are FF with, experiences they've had, and the services the airlines provide.

Thanks in advance

i'm gold with both thai and emirates.

never had a free upgrade.

exchanged thai miles for free nights at the dusit & shereton

and 2 return trips to los give nearly enough miles to do a business class upgrade for the 3rd (at gold level as you earn bonus miles)

only other perks i'm noticed are sometimes you get on the plane faster as they call 1st class and gold 1st.

you get priority checkin, but no quicker than online checkin.

and emirates keep making me look like a vip in economy by repeatedly asking me if all is well and calling me by name. the guy next door to me thought i had comlained about something as they asked so many times haha

dont appear to be discounts as such on flights with gold which would realy be a nice perk

no experiance with eva though

I always fly first class through the FF program of United. I used to book economy and about half the time I got upgraded to business. But now, I really enjoy 1st class. I get on the plane last and get off first...and the wines are excellent.

Call me shallow.

Have to agree totally with MM but add that the advantage of United (say) over Eva (say) is that United is part of a really big worldwide FF program that includes more than a dozen other airlines, including THAI. You get points, and you can use points, on a whole bunch of airlines worldwide no matter who you sign on with.

The only reason to use Eva (say) is if you are just a shuttle flyer, to and from the same one or four places all the time, all of which are heavily serviced by Eva - AND you only want points for the upgrade, and not for travelling somewhere else for a change or holidays.

I fly with Emirates..... and shortly will be enjoying a reward flight MAN-DXB-BKK.....

And on my last trip I enjoyed a free business class upgrade between DXB and BKK :D

I always fly first class through the FF program of United. I used to book economy and about half the time I got upgraded to business. But now, I really enjoy 1st class. I get on the plane last and get off first...and the wines are excellent.

Call me shallow.

except when they let dogs fly first class and they have a dump in the airplane

I also use Star Alliance program,

You can also use the Airline Member Visa or AMEX card to get air miles points. which i used very much to get my points

I have flown to Thailand last 2 times with first class at a cost of 120,000 air miles each time return.

economy 60,000 -75,000

business 100,000

first class 120,000

have also flown to Havana Cuba from Canada 14 times at 60,000 each business class

many other trips on business and first using air miles

still have in my air miles account 900,000 + air miles

a lot of airlines belong to star alliance program and from what i hear more to be added

see the link to website above post

Partner Aeroplan Miles you can earn

Adria Airways

Earn up to 125% of the miles you fly

Air Canada

Earn up to 150% of the miles you fly!

Earn 2,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles on Air Canada’s new nonstop Calgary-Newark service! Until July 16 only!

Up to 10,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles with Air Canada’s new daily non-stop service between Ottawa and Frankfurt. Register and fly by June 30!

Until June 15, 2008, earn 1,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles on our Calgary-Chicago non-stop service!

Earn up to 7,500 Bonus Aeroplan Miles to London this spring!

Up to 15,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles to Hong Kong!

Earn 50% Bonus Aeroplan Miles to South America this Spring!

Earn Double Aeroplan Miles on Air Canada flights between Montreal or Toronto and Paris!

aircanada.com

Book your travel online at aircanada.comTM and earn Aeroplan Miles for eligible flight reservations.

Air Canada Jazz

Earn up to 100% of the miles you fly

Earn up to 1,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles on new routes in North America this May!

Air China

Earn up to 150% of the miles you fly

Air Creebec

Air New Zealand

Air One

Earn 125% of the miles you fly

ANA

Asiana Airlines

Earn Double Aeroplan Miles when you register and fly Asiana Airlines! Only until July 31!

Austrian, Austrian arrows, Lauda Air

Bearskin Airlines

Blue1

bmi

Calm Air

Canadian North

Croatia Airlines

First Air

LOT Polish Airlines

Lufthansa

SAS Scandinavian Airlines

Shanghai Airlines

Singapore Airlines

Earn up to 160% of the miles you fly

South African Airways

Earn up to 150% of miles flown

Spanair

SWISS

Earn up to 150% of miles flown

TAP Portugal

THAI Airways

Turkish Airlines

United Airlines

US Airways

Whatever you do, sign up for some program. And you can get points by just buying stuff with certain credit cards. Just today I spent money on groceries and wine. For those purchases, I get points which I can convert to miles. It all adds up.

J

I am a Gold Card holder with Qatar. Although they are not a member of an Alliance they do have decent partner airlines (LH, bmi, Virgin, Asiana, ANA etc) that you can earn and redeem your miles on and which serve my purposes. When I'm in BKK they have two offices at either end of the Sukhumvit strip (Ploenchit and Exchange Towers) that are handy for making bookings and with really helpful staff to boot.

I have been using KLM, they are no great shakes but the FF program is pretty good. I just tried to do a mileage booking and apparently Man-BKK can go via Nairobi...?????

You need to consider whether you will just be doing UK-BKK or going elswehere before fixing on an airline. Beware of paying for expensive tickets just to accrue miles, a false saving. Some of the USA guys recommend United, yes American flyers offer great FF packages but that is to compensate for crap flights (in coach, they are good up front) and of no use if you will not go to the USA... I still have a shit load of Continental miles.

I will need to look elsewhere soon, the KLM Biz class is getting too expensive and I will be trying Qatar or China.

As to BA, well I would rather do a swamp than Heathrow.

Edited by jacko
I have been using KLM, they are no great shakes but the FF program is pretty good. I just tried to do a mileage booking and apparently Man-BKK can go via Nairobi...?????

You need to consider whether you will just be doing UK-BKK or going elswehere before fixing on an airline. Beware of paying for expensive tickets just to accrue miles, a false saving. Some of the USA guys recommend United, yes American flyers offer great FF packages but that is to compensate for crap flights (in coach, they are good up front) and of no use if you will not go to the USA... I still have a shit load of Continental miles.

I will need to look elsewhere soon, the KLM Biz class is getting too expensive and I will be trying Qatar or China.

As to BA, well I would rather do a swamp than Heathrow.

Good information to consider. But if i'm honest, then I only really fly to Thailand and no other countries. Eva looks like the one i'm going for as it's priced competitively compared with other airlines, plus the fact it's a direct flight.

Thanks to all those that have contributed :D

Good information to consider. But if i'm honest, then I only really fly to Thailand and no other countries. Eva looks like the one i'm going for as it's priced competitively compared with other airlines, plus the fact it's a direct flight.

Thanks to all those that have contributed :D

While EVA's pricing is certainly competitive, you should also consider what you'd be using the accrued mileage for -- upgrades or free flights. EVA's program looks pretty inferior.

While EVA's pricing is certainly competitive, you should also consider what you'd be using the accrued mileage for -- upgrades or free flights. EVA's program looks pretty inferior.

Can't say if it's a better program but EVA miles can be credited to Continental.

I did that with my EVA miles cuz Continental was only 60,000 for an award flight, and I figured I'd just book the award for an EVA flight. My cunning plan went south when I noticed it was still 100k to book an award on EVA through Continental.........doh :clap1

5 flights a year and you are THINKING of getting a FF pgm

buddy wake up

i am wheels up 31 may for my 50+ trip in 7 years

i know a little bit about this stuff

because i am blessed to have a couple of extra baht

i can fly who and when i want

i have done, United, Thai, EVA and China

I fly from Los Angeles, california to Bkk

I now only fly Thai

Why:

I can get the seat i want

(There are 4 economy seats that are as good as business class, except the seat tilt angle)

I can buy ticket from my consolidator last minute without a huge cost

I can change my ticket when in LOS for no charge over the phone with an english speaker

(go home early because of work (rare), extend stay to slut around more (often)

(last month i changed my ticket 3 times, no charge, all over the phone)

One xtra bag (no value for me, as i only do carryone and ck one box of gifts on inbound flight)

Private check in counter, make sure i get the seat i want

Board early ( YES i am a snob, but also get to pick where i store my luggage )

Every year i get:

One free full upgrade from Economy to Business

Birthday special which is equvilant to the above

that is two full upgrades at no cost

Free bump in class on availablity if you are polite and ask

(i average a free bump every third leg)

Nice lounge in LA and BKK

Can use Star Alliance lounges when i travel in USofA

Overall it works for me

Oh, and the flight is direct

even if i was on a big budget, i would still fly Thai

for instance

in 2006, bought 3 round trip China air tickets, Bkk-LAX-BKK for $500 USD each

great price, lots of restrictions

used one ticket no problem

the other two i had to make changes and the surcharges doubled the price

not to mention treking to the freaking airport to make the changes

JMHE

(for you detractors, not my issue your experiance is opposite mine :(

I am a Qantas frequent flyer with Platinum status, equivalent to Oneworld Emerald.

Some of the benefits are first class checkin when using any Oneworld airline, fast track through immigration and quarantine when arriving back into Australia, extra luggage allowance on Qantas flights, priority luggage tags on most Oneworld airlines, complimentary lounge access including first class lounges and in Australia I can get into the lounge even when not flying, 100% bonus on frequent flyer points when flying Qantas, Bristish Airways and American Airlines, accumulate frequent flyer points with partners like car hire and hotel stays, preferential seating including pre-allocating exit rows, occassionally get a personal welcome on board the aircraft and I have asked and received business class amenity kits and noise cancelling headphones when travelling economy, get first preference when flights are cancelled etc.

The priority check-in alone is more than worth it. When I had no status I remember waiting in the economy queues in BKK airport for over an hour. Now I get served within 5 minutes of joining the queue.

Lounge access is OK if you have a few hours to wait. Have a few champagnes and something to eat as the food on the aircraft is hit and miss.

Last year I redeemed an Oneworld RTW award and since then I have almost accumulated enough points for another 2 Oneworld RTW awards. Just need to find the time to use them.

The biggest negative is that you are tied into using the Oneworld alliance which does not always have the cheapest airfares but I can live with that for now.

I also use Star Alliance program,

still have in my air miles account 900,000 + air miles

Dang Green, thats a lot of saved miles.

I've my gold card #4 with Thai Airways.

I get a free upgrade each time I renew my gold card - every 2 years, but more important is that I'm upgraded on 50 % of my trips to BKK.

Also used my miles to buy a lot of free tickets and upgrades.

from the UK i use gulf air, got a gold card and as far as iam concerned they are great, in several (12) flights to BKK in 2 yrs, had 7 upgrades, it is gulf air policy to upgrade gold members 1st if they have a full flight, lounges are good, the only drawback is you have to stop over in bahrain, but if you get the right flights the wait on the wayout is only 3hrs, great to get a smoke and a few pints, on the way back the stopover is only a hr.

Hardeep

I am in the Eva airways Evergreen club as I only usually fly LHR-BKK. :allright

It is a reasonably good FF, but they are slowly moving the goalposts and making it not so good.

Silver still has lounge access but they have taken away VIP check in, I have never been upgraded and I know some Gold card members who do not get upgrades with BR.

Maybe if Thai have the AVOD system in the future I may start using TG, but Eva's entertainment system is pretty good.

With Eva it is sometimes difficult to find availability for upgrades using your FF miles.

In the past at LHR, when I had a green card I used to go to the ticket desk and ask if I could purchase a lounge pass, it was about £19 but worth it if you eat and drink as much as I do :allright

Hardeep

I am in the Eva airways Evergreen club as I only usually fly LHR-BKK. :D

It is a reasonably good FF, but they are slowly moving the goalposts and making it not so good.

Silver still has lounge access but they have taken away VIP check in, I have never been upgraded and I know some Gold card members who do not get upgrades with BR.

Maybe if Thai have the AVOD system in the future I may start using TG, but Eva's entertainment system is pretty good.

With Eva it is sometimes difficult to find availability for upgrades using your FF miles.

In the past at LHR, when I had a green card I used to go to the ticket desk and ask if I could purchase a lounge pass, it was about £19 but worth it if you eat and drink as much as I do :nod

gus my old mucker,

ive read on your trip reports, that you are a FF with EVA. When did they change the priority check in?

The lounge sounds interesting especially as they allow you to eat and drink what you want. What kind of food do you get? I might try it next time i fly in july

I get a load of miles (125% bonus miles + actual flight miles) each time I fly Northwest Airlines as a Platinum member. Once in a while I get an international upgrade for free (op-up).

There is nothing written in stone about what FF plans you can join. If they dont charge a fee, I join.

Currently with both oneworld, star alliance, Malaysian and Bkk airways.

Singapore must owe me an upgrade soon I think. I certainly have used them a lot in the past 3 years.