Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Pattaya Beer garden update - 15 June 2008

Pattaya Beer Garden – 15 June

I missed my weekly blog update last week. Possibly because I felt a weekly missive was a little too much and I did not want to bore the pants off everyone or just maybe it was a touch of laziness sneaking in. Well, OK, it was just laziness on my behalf but I have decided to update the blog once a fortnight from now on.

One of the fun things about the PBG is the fans we are accumulating. I am not so naïve as to believe we are particularly special or amazing in some clever way but it is clear that a certain percentage of the traveling public and expat community do find the beer garden to be particularly suited to their tastes. I’ve been getting lots of emails and personal comments in the bar from people who really, really like the place. So thanks to all that have written or gone out of their way to find me in the bar and pass on some very encouraging comments. I appreciate it muchly and do try and reply to all the emails.

There are others of course who do not like the place or the concept and I fully understand that as well. We are not and can not be all things to all people and those looking for a party atmosphere are inevitably disappointed. A place to chill out, with spectacular views, cheap drinks and quality food at reasonable prices is what we offer, rolled into a place where you can meet single, unattached, independent ladies. No employed bar girls, no barfines, no lady drinks. Meet a girl at the PBG and what you do or what you pay is your business, not ours.

One aspect of the bar that I didn’t anticipate is the success we are enjoying with couples, threesomes, foursomes and so on. Lots of guys have been bringing their barfines in for a meal or a drink before heading off for wilder pursuits. Almost universally their girl du jour enjoys the place and the “getting to know you” phase of the liaison is successful. In fact this has been going so well I sent my spies (well the wife really) to question the girls and find out why they liked the palace so much. The number one answer was that the staff treated them respectfully. While it was good to hear that, it was not what I expected.

It seems that many of the eateries in Pattaya have staff that look down their noses at bar girls and in that ,oh so subtle Thai manner, put them down. As a freelancer bar I always knew we had to be nice to girls who chose to use the PBG as a base and so instructed the staff that independent ladies were our most important customers and were to be treated as such. It seems that attitude is working wonders with the bar girls as well.

Other comments included the food, some of which is directly targeted at Isaan palates, the ambience which allows intimate conversation and the prices which are cheap enough to ensure their man du jour has plenty of money left over to be generous in the morning. Most say they dislike the music which is most commonly described as stupid.

From the guy’s perspective, the girls seem to have a good time and as the most expensive Thai item on the menu is 100 baht and the Som Tum is free the pain in the wallet is not too bad.. That means if you get into the three or four friends tagging along mode you won’t be taken to the cleaners. I am seeing more and more guys turn up with two or three or four girls in tow. One dude arrived with eight girls . . . I think he had a spectacular night. The guys almost universally describe the music as great.

Don’t be shy about bringing your girl or girls in and sending them off to Som Tum corner to make their own for free. It is there to be used by anyone who wants to and the girls often enjoy the process of making it just the way they like it and meeting and socializing with the other girls making their own. If DIY is not your girls style they can of course order Som Tum off the menu but that costs 60 baht and is often not done just the way they like it.

We have sorted out most of the teething problems now and are settling into an established bar pattern. The staff are getting better and more accurate in their order taking. The mysteries of steak cooking, potato styles and sunny side up eggs have slowly entered their consciousness and they usually get it right. Still not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but certainly improving all the time.

Our worst issue at the moment is the food can be a little slow in being delivered. The bar is deceptive with its size and different areas. You may think the place is quiet when in fact there are 60 or 70 people dining. We have three chefs and two kitchen hands working the busy evening shift but if 20 or 30 orders come through at the same time. as often happens, then things can get a bit slow. The way the staff were processing orders was a bit off as well with some being cooked out of order. I’ve fixed that and we are looking to improve our speed as well. If you ended up waiting too long for an order I apologies and we are working to improve.

Our fleet of baht busses hit the road this week. Getting the message out about the Pattaya Beer Garden is an ongoing mission. We now have 15 PBG baht busses cruising the streets of Pattaya.

june-01.jpg

june-02.jpg

june-03.jpg

june-04.jpg

Pool tables are an ongoing issue. More than anything else people have been requesting that we put some in. I am worried that they might disturb the laid back atmosphere of the place but so many people have asked it is getting hard to ignore. What do you think? If you have a strong opinion one way or the other I would like to hear your comments.

We are still getting far more freelancers and more business at night. Plenty of guys are in during the day but the number of girls in the daytime can be quite low. We are always encouraging girls to come in earlier and with that in mind we are changing the happy hour times. Happy Hour(s) will now run continuously from Midday to 4pm every day.

I wrote some time ago that I was not sure if opening at 10 am would be sustainable. I am happy to report that the breakfast trade is growing and we will continue to open at 10 am for the foreseeable future. So if you are an early riser (10 am is very early for Pattaya) and feel like a nice cooked breakfast with a view, then drop in and say hello to the morning staff. You will be very welcome.

We were visited by the smoking police last week who after inspecting the place declared that we were OK to allow smoking as we are an open air bar. The only requirement was that we place a sign designating a smoking area. After seeking further clarification it appears that people can smoke anywhere as long as we have a designated smoking area somewhere. Huh? TIT! We do like to comply with the law so the sign is up and smokers may smoke anywhere in the bar. Non-smokers should not be bothered by this as the place is big enough and the breeze strong enough to allow the smoke to dissipate easily.

We seem to have lucked out with our wifi connection. There have been lots of reports of very good speeds being enjoyed in the bar. Wifi is of course free at The Pattaya Beer Garden and we seem to have one of the better connections around town. Getting a good connection is usually a matter of luck in Thailand. Depending on who your connection is shared with by the ISPs so goes your speed. Our luck so far has been great.

That is it for this fortnight. As always we hope to see you sometime soon at The Pattaya Beer Garden.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PattayaPete

Congrats Pete only heard great things about your new place :bigsmile: :banghead

Hope to meet up with u in person, will be in town from the 12th of August with a couple of mates

All the very Best

Bruiser

Very glad to hear that it is all falling into place for you Pete. I will admit 8 girls in tow almost sounds like a record that I might try and beat. :banghead

I have always been a competitive one.

I really don't enjoy playing pool but I do enjoy watching a couple of lovely ladies bent over the tables......playing pool that is. :bigsmile:

Maybe a pool table would attract a few more freelancers in as a lot of Thai girls seem to enjoy a game of pool,especially if they are hanging around waiting for customers.I think the biggest thing would have to be a board of some sort PROMINENTLY displayed to put your name up for agame rather than the girls just using it all day.

ozboy

I really don't enjoy playing pool but I do enjoy watching a couple of lovely ladies bent over the tables......playing pool that is. :bigsmile:

Maybe a pool table would attract a few more freelancers in as a lot of Thai girls seem to enjoy a game of pool,especially if they are hanging around waiting for customers.I think the biggest thing would have to be a board of some sort PROMINENTLY displayed to put your name up for agame rather than the girls just using it all day.

ozboy

Hi Pete:

I'm really not a pool player, but I know that there are many that play and enjoy the game. Yep, nothing like watching a good looking lady in a mini-dress bending over the table for a shot!

Agree with the sign up board if you decide to install a table.

Sounds like a place I'll enjoy hanging out in, see you soon Pete.

I'd probably hang out longer if there was a pool table, as long as it wasn't crammed in and had room to play.

travlling :chogdee

Edited by travlling

I was there when you first opened. It was obvious you were just getting started but already I could sense a chill vibe to the place that I hope will stay even as it gets more popular. I think you are making all the right moves and are going through the normal business growing pains. As far as pool tables one or two seems ok but definitely keep that peaceful laid back vibe going. No blaring rock music or overzealous staff. I chose to solicit many places based on the attitude of the staff alone. I think your description of the scene you have built is spot on and there is no reason to try to be all things to everyone.

As a daytime monger who likes to get to bed by midnight and wonders around town during the afternoons, I am most pleased to hear not only about your new venture but that it is enjoying success! I will be arriving in Pattaya in nine days for a months stay and will certainly put PBG at the top of my list of places to visit!

Pete im in town in 2 weeks and i will sure visit either alone or bring a lady.

Think place sound great and as I will be living in Patts this Sep, think be a nice place to make my local.

See you soon :chogdee

Thanks for the continuing story of the PBG and I am pleased things are going well for you. It will definitely be among the first ports of call on my next trip, hopefully in September although I have not booked anything yet.

As for pool, I enjoy a game or two but I suggest you only put a table in if there is plenty of room for it and the players will not be cheek by jowl with diners or drinkers.

Good luck and I wish you every success with this venture.

Put a pool table in ONLY if you have a plan to take it out. What criteria are you going to use to justify keeping it. How many fights over who won or who's turn is next before you decide to take it out. How often do guys get pissed because they can't play or have to play who ever the fuch thinks he owns the table because he just won a game. How much dust on it before you decide the space is better used for something else ? Your bar, up to you; I think it is a bad idea. There are plenty of places to play pool now.

Our fleet of baht busses hit the road this week. Getting the message out about the Pattaya Beer Garden is an ongoing mission. We now have 15 PBG baht busses cruising the streets of Pattaya.

june-01.jpg

Pete, loved the place when I was there in April and look forward to many days/nights there on my next trip. One question, since you have such great prices will you offer a discount on the PBG Baht Buses, say 7.5 baht for Falang during Happy Hour..lol

:poke

Excellent! Will definitely stop in next trip. The view has to be something special. Thanks for the update..Doorman

Enjoyed several visits to the PBG in May and it was as Pete said. It was a nice place to chill out, had a great view, the cool breezes were a welcome relief and the service staff were friendly. I'll be back in July and will definitely stop in a few times. Please do consider getting some cushions for the wood seats for the tables.

Edited by player

I always thought you would be popular with couples as its a great location with reasonable prices. I also predict that with high season your tourist trade will grow a lot for the same reasons. Pool tables could help to "break the ice" between the FL and potential customers I think. One question:- why does everyone have to check bin at 6pm. I realise its a shift change but surely your computer billing would give you a tally and a reconciliation with the till (if required) Seen a couple of people leave after being asked to check-bin I think because some staff can't explain why it has to be done.

This looks like a great place. Been reading about it and I will surely drop in for a drink and possibly eat. I arrive on the 18th and look forward to meeting you Pete. Around the 20th or so (will need 2 days with the lady as I have not been there since November)).

We were visited by the smoking police last week who after inspecting the place declared that we were OK to allow smoking as we are an open air bar. The only requirement was that we place a sign designating a smoking area.
Interesting...

Many members try to convince us that the smoking ban is a joke,

but I am happy to learn that the "smoking police" does really exist !

:poke

Great write up and thanks for that, the baht bus sign's will surely bring more business.

As for the pool tables, if they generate too much noise then for a chill out place it could

be a problem.

Sorry to hear we have to wait 2 weeks for the next write up, but best of luck anyway.

Looking forward to visiting at Christmas.

pete-

i think your place is great as it is! there are plenty of other places that bm's can go to play pool, i think adding a pool table would be a negative for you. i'll be back in 45 days and will definitely visit your place!!! :clap2

Hi Pete

During the past two weeks I used your place and my starting bar for the evening.

I came in with four different BGs and all of them were really impressed. :clap2

I totally endorse your comment about them being treated respectfully by the staff.

One girl actually remarked to me that our service girl was 'velly nice lady'.

Keep it up mate, I will return. :D

Chris

PS: WTF do you put in them Sunset Specials, we had two one evening and my lady was 'mau'

Pete - I hope you think long and hard before putting in a pool table. As several posters have noted, there are dozens and dozens of places to play pool in Pattaya, some of them a stone's throw from your establishment. You are better off without a pool table than with one.

Evil

:clap2