Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Gents,

I am planning a golf trip to Thailand soon, and would like a golf course recommendation for Pattaya.

So far I have locked in Laem Chabang, and I'm thinking either Burapha or Siam CC (either old or new course). Which would you recommend for a group of low handicappers?

FYI - We have booked Blue Canyon (Canyon) and Red Mountain in Phuket for the second half of the trip.

Can't wait to get there, and will definitely be stopping by the FLB for a few beers.

Cheers

Edited by Kandaburi

Laem Chabang Is a great course you will enjoy that one.

For serious golfers I would next play Siam CC they have took 2 years to redo and it shows I played there last month and it was in great condition.

I enjoy Burapha's layout, but not the same class as the two above.

Hope this helps

Duece

Edited by duece

The Plantation Course is the newer of the two. It just opened for play in February or March. The greens are not as demanding as the Old Course (thank Christ) but it is a fun course to play. It has a triple green which some golfers don't care for; I didn't think it mattered. The caddies are hit and miss. Some girls have been there since opening and know the course, others hardly know any English. Beautiful clubhouse, too.

Thanks Duece.

I have taken your advice and booked Siam CC. They have us on the Plantation Course.

Cheers

Kandaburi,

when booking at Siam they will often try & get you to play Plantation instead of the original siam CC. My advice is to change the booking & play the original Siam CC, for marketing purpose they now refer to it as the Old Course. Plantation is Ok but has only been opened about 6 months, & still has a lot of growing to do. they still have not decided how to present it yet as the times I have played it you get to play from some white t boxes & some yellow t boxes which does nothing to enchance the course. if you guys are low handicapers looking for a good course in great condition play the Old Course. you can play it from the whites at approx 6600 yds or move back to the blues at approx 7,100 yds, give or take a hundred yards on both. If you have enough time in Pattaya just play both of them, they are only about 20 - 25 minutes from down town, but IMO the original course is by far the better of the 2.

I like Alpine too, and play it everytime I'm in Bangkok.

This time we arrive in the evening, and drive direct to Pattaya, so skipping Apline this time around. We are playing Blue Conyon in Pkuket, so if you haven't already, I'd suggest youplay a round at the lakes course.

Personally I prefer Blue Canyon to Alpine.

Cheers

I like Alpine too, and play it everytime I'm in Bangkok.

I agree totally with you. Blue Canyon is the ne plus ultra, a great course. Alpine is second best, and in Thailand that's saying something. For anyone who plays golf semi-seriously or better, Alpine is almost a must - a really fine course.

Thanks Hwells - Great info.

We changed the reservation from the Plantation to the Old Course on this advice.

Can't wait to get there.

Cheers

Good move mate. I am sure you will enjoy it. When are you guys there? If I am in Thailand same time would be more than happy to buy you a beer at the course as I am there most days when i am in Pattaya.

Good move mate. I am sure you will enjoy it. When are you guys there? If I am in Thailand same time would be more than happy to buy you a beer at the course as I am there most days when i am in Pattaya.

Planning a Bangkok trip in August, and the Pattaya / Phuket trip in the third week of October. 8-9 am tee times.

I'd be happy to buy you a beer or 5 if you're around.

Cheers

I would go along with your choices in Pattaya. Laem Chabang is always a must and Siam Old Course is probably a better choice than Plantation right now. We played Old Course last week and it was in good condition for the time of year.

I have been round Red Mountain in Phuket and I think it will give Blue Canyon some competition. It is a spectacular landscape and has the advantage that you can take buggies. Blue Canyon is walking only. I have not been to Blue Canyon for a couple of years so I can't comment on its current condition. I know there have been some shareholder arguments at Blue Canyon so these might have had a negative impact on the maintenance. I plan to go to Phuket sometime before October so I will update this forum with any new information.

Have a good trip.

Doggie

• 2 months later...

I enjoy playing most courses around Pattaya. Laem Chabang, Khao Kheow, Burapha, Noble Place are all very picturesque golf courses but not very challenging for low handicappers although Khao Kheow could be difficult on some days.

I think the Plantation course at Siam is the toughest I have seen in a long time. I played it in June on a very windy day, no trees for protection, and balls one yard off the fairway were either lost or unplayable in the thick 'cabbage'. There is also the triple green which is a great novelty and the top level has got to be around 30-40 yards higher than the bottom level with I think 4 tiers on one of the greens. Other courses I would class as tough courses would have to be Treasure Hills and Pattana especially playing them off the back tees. We played Pattana a few days after the Asian tour event earlier this year and it was setup tough.

No matter which course you choose you will enjoy. Can't wait to get back again in 3 weeks time....