Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Golf can be hazardous for your health

My participation in the Rideher Cup, Catz Open and subsequent rounds was briefly thrown into doubt today. . . . . .

While sitting in my wheelchair in the ER:

1220846283.jpg

Later on that evening, said ankle in a cast:

100_0881.jpg

The X-rays did not show a break, but the radiologist wasn't in and won't be until tomorrow so they'll get a second look then. It may just be a bad sprain, although my ankle is roughly the size of a baseball at the moment. So here's the story: I was on the 12th green and found a wedge left by the group ahead. I putted out first and told my partners I'd drive up ahead in my cart to return the club while they finished. So of course as I was running over to my cart I tripped, stepped wrong, and my right ankle did a nearly 90-degree turn under me, sending me ass-over-elbows to the ground.

After spending 4-1/2 hours in the ER at a local hospital I was discharged with a cast and 4 500mg tabs of Vicodin and a prescription for more. I have been assured, though, that even if it is broken (which is looking less likely) I'll be fully recovered and ready to play come November.

Wow, you didn't have to go through this whole farce if you need a few strokes!

First the staged car crash last year and now this? :clap1

Just kidding and hope you feel better.

Hub

Just kidding and hope you feel better.

Hub

Of course I feel better! They gave me a shitload of Vicodin!

Of course I feel better! They gave me a shitload of Vicodin!

As a BM that got hit by a piece of the WTC when it fell once told me, a vicodin goes much better than an olive with a martini! :gulp

Ouch :cry2 :cry2 :cry2

As one that this has happened to a few times in the past (sprains) it bloody well hurts :lovee

Hope it is Ok for November Tom and other parts of the body apart from the old ankle swell then :gulp

Look after yourself Mate

Cheers :drunk :drunk

Duece

Edited by duece

Back in March 2000 I slipped down a small mound on the side of the 3rd tee and fractured my right ankle. Well I did not know it was fractured at the time. I biridied the next hole and finished the round 11 over par on one leg. Since then I have had much worse socres on both 2 legs....

• 2 weeks later...

I thought you hit your own ankle after a muffed putt! :banghead Remeber to keep the foot up and apply ice liberally and a little whiskey with the ice! :D Get better quick!

I thought you hit your own ankle after a muffed putt! :wtf

It sounds like you've seen me putt before! (One of the Indian programmers where I'm consulting wondered if I'd been playing cricket.)

I've been out of the splint and off the crutches for about 10 days now. I have a compression bandage on the ankle, which is helping a lot, but I do still get some pretty good twinges if I happen to turn the ankle the wrong way (I know, I know: stop turning it that way, then!). Most of the swelling is gone as is almost all of the bruising, but I sure as hell didn't expect to still be dealing with this 3 weeks later! Still, I'm 4 + weeks from wheels up so I expect to be back in fighting trim well in time for the Rideher Cup. I am forcing myself not to even try playing any golf at all until the weekend before I depart, although I did do a little putting yesterday. Who knows? This may be a God-send: the biggest problem I have with my swing is coming up off my back foot too early, so the prospect of excruciating pain may make me stay down on the shot longer!

Which hospital did you go to?

St. Louise's Regional Medical Center in Gilroy, California. I suppose I should have mentioned in the OP that I'm still home in California, not in LOS until November.

Edited by Mescalito

Rumor has it that what really happened was that Mescalito was trying to impress the girls on Sunset Blvd by hanging nine on a skateboard.

Don't worry, your physical therapist won't by bothered by your pain.

Edited by short