Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Is this a problem others have encountered either at the Metropole or in other hotels????????

I feel bad about writing this because Metropole is a beautiful hotel at a really good price. For your info, I have paid a reduced FLB rate of 36,000 baht for 30 days for a studio room on the sixth floor. It is about 3:00 AM in the morning as I sit writing this. The room has a little kitchenette with a microwave and two burner cook-top appliance.

Since I moved in here yesterday, I have killed about 20 roaches of various sizes. They were killed in the kitchenette and the bathroom. I will go to the store in the morning and get bug spray and also tell the management but I wanted to ask if others have had this problem at the Metropole or did I just get a bad room?? Hopefully, I just got a bad room!! I understand that this is not a unique problem and I can deal with it but wanted to make sure that it is not a systemic problem.

Have a Great Day,

Evades

Unfortunately the whole of pattaya is a bug trap. Most of the time its an ant problem rather than roaches and the only thing that works is to be relentless in spraying. After a few weeks they are all gone (or have just moved to somewhere that aint sprayed.

As the above said it seems like the room has been empty and aint been sprayed for a while.

The room has a little kitchenette with a microwave and two burner cook-top appliance.

Since I moved in here yesterday, I have killed about 20 roaches of various sizes. They were killed in the kitchenette...

What did you serve them up with :bigsmile: belch

I am surprised to hear this as I have lived on the 7th floor in the Metropole for 3 years and have seen only 2 roaches in that time.

Did you report the problem and what was the response?

Interbrit

I reported it this morning to the cleaning lady and then went out to the grocery store. By the time I came back, the place had been sprayed. I picked up some bug spray just in case. I saw about five live ones when I looked around (in the cabinets) so I took my can of spray and sprayed everywhere. Around all furniture and all baseboards in the room. Inside all cabinets. About two hours ago, I was on the bed watching tv drinking a pepsi in a glass of ice. The empty pepsi can and glass of ice was on the nightstand. I happened to glance over and two roaches were attacking the pepsi can. Surprised me!! So, I took apart the nightstand and sprayed every inch of the nightstand.

I decided, if they are still around, I would at least try to figure out where they are coming from. I have left the pepsi can on the nightstand and, so far, no roaches. However, I have left a cookie in the middle of the island in the kitchenette and have been killing one every thirty minutes or so with more being found wondering around the stove and the sink.

I do not see how they can be getting to the cookie as I have sprayed completely around the area and they have to be going over the dried up spray area to get to the cookie. Definitely, some hardy roaches. I am in room 601.

Any ideas. I will probably ask them to move me in the morning if this persist.

Have a Great Day,

Evades

i

Those sprays smell awful and are full of toxins.

I have heard about plug in devices which send out noise, rays or vibrations (imperceptible to humans) which make insects lives so intolerable that they stay away.

Does anyone know if these things work and how effective they are if they do?

Would be more pleasant to use than sprays although the problems is that with rooms where the electricity switches off when you take the room key out of the holder, the device will stop working whilst you are out.

II do not see how they can be getting to the cookie as I have sprayed completely around the area and they have to be going over the dried up spray area to get to the cookie. Definitely, some hardy roaches. I am in room 601.

Any ideas. I will probably ask them to move me in the morning if this persist.

Have a Great Day,

Evades

Most likely the roaches are coming from the other rooms. For any reasonable chance of success the hotel management has to spray the entire building. Then come back in two weeks and do it again.

Evades:

You have a lot more patience than I do. I would have been out of there the first day. I had a lot of the little ants if any food was left out in one suite I rented at the Eastinny Place several years ago and had them switch me to another one pronto.

Sorry, but I don't care how nice the place is in other areas, the description you have given is friggin disgusting and that would be a no go for me at what claims to be a high end hotel.

I am not saying I have never seen a cockroach in Thailand, I remember seeing a few in the bathroom at a place in Sukhothai, but nothing close to what you describe.

I'd take my digital camera and take some pictures of the multiple roaches you have seen and start showing them to the highest level of management you can find and start emailing if that doesn't work.

Who needs to spend more than $1,000 US for lodging in Thailand on holiday and have to worry about a roach waking you up at night?

I would have been out of there the first day.

You are right that I should have been out of the room the first night. Unfortunately, it got worse. I decided to call it a night (midnight) and get some sleep. Before I was even able to go to sleep, while comtemplating life, I started feeling bugs crawling on me. I turned on the light and four, that I could see, were on me. To put it mildly, that was not nice. I got out of bed and angrily called the front desk and demanded to be moved immediately. They did so. I did not sleep well as I was wondering what luck I will have with this room. None so far.

I have a question about other bugs. I was taking a pee and saw this speck on the back of the toilet and then it jumped away. Flea, bedbug, other?? I have about five bites on my arm and legs that look like mosquito bites so I thought that I had just picked them up while I was out in town. Any thoughts.

Have a Great Day,

Evades

Maybe the insects are on holidays from crazy Daves. there should not be mosquitos in a 6th floor room. As for fleas or whatever you may want to check last nights BF for crabs.

:banghead

Used to get roaches at the old Lek and AA hotels, have had mosquitos and the odd roach in Dusit Resort,just the nature of the place.

Had tons of those tiny ants in a room at the Sabai Inn once,left a bag of donuts out one night and they were all over them in the morning-so I got into the habit of going to Big C to buy bug spray at the start of my stay just in case-a good spray round the usual areas did the trick.

But I would certainly not put up with roach infestation on that scale,would move rooms,if still persisted,check out quick.

Before I was even able to go to sleep, while comtemplating life, I started feeling bugs crawling on me. I turned on the light and four, that I could see, were on me.

:banghead

Thats bad!! I would need to run to Sazanka in Bangkok for the rock salt scrub after that!

A few years ago my wife and I were staying at the Royal Cliff resort. As they knew we were doing our Thai version of our wedding a few weeks later in Bangkok and also had family to come stay at the resort, they had flowers, fruit and personilized cake from their bakery waiting for us in our room upon check in. We put the cake in the fridge and somehow I noticed the next morning just before I left for golf a gecko had gotten in there. My wife called the front desk and a guy came up and removed it and it was like a bomb dropped - we had 2-3 different levels of management (all the way up to the GM of huge resort) calling and apologizing and offering us stuff for two days. A larger even more delicious cake and other stuff came the next day.

the funny part of the story is that when I can back from golf my wife had eaten half the original cake locked up with the gecko overnight in the fridge :wanker I still bust her chops about eating the "gecko cake" :D

Thats the difference between good management and bad - after your experience they should have done something for you.

Based on your story alone, I wouldn't stay at the place.

Stayed at the Sunshine Vista in August. Room with kitchenette. Plenty of roaches. (And a dried up old used pad in the bathroom as a nice surprise).

Just stayed in Sunshine Vista too and shared room with 20 or so roaches. Killed most of them. Found the hotel a little overrated and overpriced but that's another story.

Now staying in Bkk, cheap hotel,but no roaches!! So it's beyond me why Sunshine Vista can't do that too. Maybe longtime unoccupied, but they knew i was coming, so plenty of time to spray. Will not stay again, 'cause to expensive. Can get same for less,or better for same rate.

dont think i have ever stayed in a hotel in los without seeing at least one roach,

You have either been very unlucky or a very very cheap Charley. :banghead

I’ve stayed in about 20 hotels ranging from guesthouses to 5* and never once seen a roach. Had some problems with ants once or twice but usually my fault due to leaving food out. A definite no-no in a tropical climate.

So are electronic devices a better option!!!!

Those sprays smell awful and are full of toxins.

I have heard about plug in devices which send out noise, rays or vibrations (imperceptible to humans) which make insects lives so intolerable that they stay away.

Does anyone know if these things work and how effective they are if they do?

Would be more pleasant to use than sprays although the problems is that with rooms where the electricity switches off when you take the room key out of the holder, the device will stop working whilst you are out.

You have either been very unlucky or a very very cheap Charley. :bigsmile:

I’ve stayed in about 20 hotels ranging from guesthouses to 5* and never once seen a roach.

Just because you haven't seen them, doesn't mean they aren't there.

Especially when the lights are off and you're sleeping with them scurrying about on you :D

Cockroaches are everywhere in Asia FFS.

In the US as well as in the EU you can go into any big hardware store and ask for a frequency vermin device!

They cost around 30-35 dollars or 16-20 pounds and send out low and high frequency sound wave impulses that switch frequencies constantly. The soundwaves are apparently horrible for vermin and bugs but the human ear can´t hear them. :D

There is also an electrical chemical device that the hardware stores sell! It is a plastic capsule with an electrical plug that you put into the electrical socket in your room! You put a tablet into the capsule, turn it on and all mosquitoes and bugs do everything to stay away!

Both the devices is just about the same size as a mobile phone charger and you just plug it in to any electrical socket! There are a couple of producers and brand names, but they all work on the same principle!

My experience is that they work very well!

:bigsmile:

Especially when the lights are off and you're sleeping with them scurrying about on you

If I don’t see them they don’t exist :devil

Especially when the lights are off and you're sleeping with them scurrying about on you :D

Thats not accurate, IMO.

There are places with roaches and without. I am not talking about the occasional stray,

I've seen both types of places.

And the OP story isn't exactly about the "occasional" roach that is typical of SEA, it's a description of a serious infestation.

If you are comfortable staying at a place like that, fine.

Certainly a hotel that touts itself as high end shouldn;t have the roaches running at a coke can the minute its placed on the counter.

Fucking disgusting.