Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Girls, girls, too many girls.

I could easily have titled this post guys, guys, too many guys as we currently seem to suffer from both problems.

sep07.jpg

Sometimes it is really difficult to get a Thai girl to do what you want. In the case of the Beer Garden I want the girls to come in early, particularly in the afternoon. The reality is that the girls have decided they will come in at night particularly after 9 pm. In fact they have been coming in in such numbers after 9 pm that we often have a 5 or even 10 to 1 ratio of girls to guys at that time. Meanwhile in the afternoon there are lots of guys chillin' but not so many lookin'.

One thing I have learned over the years in Pattaya is that people will do what they want to do and there is not much I can do about that. So guys, all I can say is if you are lookin' then the best lookin' time is after 9 pm. I have been telling the girls that the best lookin' times for them are earlier and it is starting to have some impact with some of the late girls appearing by 7 pm or even 6 pm.

I must say the late night girls are a pretty classy bunch. None of your beach scrubbers here. They are usually well dressed, speak good English and in the main are attractive as well. Knowing I'd be writing this blog today, I got the Pope (our trainee manager) to snap a few pics of some of the girls last night. These two in particular were quite intriguing.

sep08.jpg

You may remember a few moths ago I posted a pic of a girl reading the newspaper. Well here is another first, with one of the girls reading a book while awaiting to be swept off her feet. It's a real book to, not some comic.

sep10.jpg

Here she is again. Can you make out the title of the book. It sure gave me a laugh. If you can't quite make it out keep reading and I'll enlighten you.

A few more of last nights visitors.

sep02.jpg

sep03.jpg

sep04.jpg

sep05.jpg

sep06.jpg

sep01.jpg

Did you figure out the title of the book. Here's a close up to help . . .

sep09.jpg

You just have to love it. Two week millionaires beware!

The feedback we get at the Pattaya Beer Garden has been really terrific and comments received by email and around the Pattaya Forums has been very encouraging. However among the many positive reviews we do get the occasional brickbat. An Australian gentleman posted on one of the forums that he was served a warm beer in the Beer Garden. Now if you know anything about Australians you will know that they have zero tolerance for warm beer and indeed this guy posted that he left promptly and will never return.

It is particularly galling to get a comment like this when we go to a lot of trouble to make sure that the beer is cold. If you have been following this blog you will know of my bad experience with fridges in Thailand, even the industrial strength ones we have in the Beer Garden. They just do not consistently keep the beer cold enough. That's why we installed the six large chilly bins which is where the beer is kept, covered in ice, prior to being served to our customers. Actually it was an Australian who recommended the system as it keeps beer at exactly the right temperature (bloody cold mate) without freezing it.

We sell a lot of beer and to ensure they are served just right we go through a process. At close of business each day the chilli bins are filled with beer and ice. The beer is taken from our fridges and the fridges are restocked from the store room. Then when we open in the morning the ice is topped up in the chilli bins. The bins have a capacity of over 600 bottles but we sell more than that in one day so they need to be topped up again at 6 pm. They are only topped up with bottles from the fridges which have been chilling from the night before. We do not turn the fridges off when we are closed like most bars.

sep13.jpg

From the store room

sep12.jpg

to the fridges

sep11.jpg

to the chilli bins

sep15.jpg

and finally out to the customer.

So what went wrong with the Australian gentleman's beer. As he did not complain at the time it really is impossible to say. If he had complained he would have received another and it would have been "bloody cold" mate. I know that complaints are often not dealt with well in Pattaya bars and people with experience will generally vote with their feet rather than going through all the crap a defensive Thai manager can throw at them. We try hard but I guess we will never get it perfect 100% of the time, so I've decided to provide a written guarantee that will be posted prominently in the bar.

sep16.jpg

You have my assurance that every effort is made to serve your drink perfectly. If we come up short, please do not hesitate to complain. You won't cop a lot of grief and we will fix the problem!

The new double sided, chillin' or lookin' beer mats have proved to be quite a hit. At first the girls were a bit taken back by them and when asked, often wanted the red side. It's been fun watching them discuss the idea amongst themselves and then surreptitiously flip them to the green side once they get comfortable with the idea. People have found many uses for them, including turning them into ear rings, attaching them to the forehead or just flashing the green side at likely looking candidates. Maybe we should offer a prize for most creative use.

sep17.jpg

Finally I'd like to introduce you to my current hero.

sep14.jpg

This is Des from New Zealand. Des is 83 years old and travels alone to Thailand twice a year. He's been quite a hit with the girls, no doubt helped by a generous inclination to buy lots of drinks for attractive ladies. He is often flanked by four or five beauties and appears to be having a ball. His wife is 81 and prefers to stay at home and enjoy the quiet life in New Zealand. I did ask him what she did while he was a way and with a twinkle in his eye he said "don't know, don't care". If I have half the energy Des does when I'm in my eighties I'll be a very happy man indeed.

See ya in the beer garden.

Pete

Edited by PattayaPete
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I :bigsmile: to Des. Hope I'm able to follow his fine example.

Sounds like you have everything well in hand. I had hoped to be in Pattaya first week in September but the best laid plans of mice and men and all that. PBG is on my list of places to see and do, hopefully before high season.

Thanks for posting the update Pete. During my trip last month I made it in there sometime around the late afternoon or early evening each day with my dad. I found your employees very friendly and helpful each time. He actually visited your place more frequently once he learned you had an ice cream menu. :bigsmile:

The food was always good and the atmosphere was better. My jack and cokes were perfect each time they were brought.

I only wish I would have understood the whole coaster deal while I was there.

Good luck and I am looking forward to visiting again next year.

Des,

Respect to you mate,hope im doing same same when im your age :clap2

Des, much respect to you. We have a star of the week where I work. I would have to put you in for star of the century. I hope that I am having a quarter of the fun you are when I am 50. :clap1

As an Aussie who visited the PBG a few weeks after it opened, I can attest that the beers I had were plenty cold enough.

Dont fret about that one whinging Aussie!

The beer mats are a brilliant idea. I can think of venues all over the world where they would work a treat. Patant them quick!

A TG stopped at a 7/11 to pick up a newspaper on the way back to the hotel. I had assumed that it was a Thai newspaper. The next day I discovered that it was a GERMAN newspaper.

I had the pleasure to visit Pattaya Beer Garden a week or so ago. I was in Pattaya with my philippine GF and we enjoyed.

We spend time there in the morning, early afternoon, late afternoon and late night and we enjoyed at all times. Great music, great view, nice breeze but first and foremost great staff. To be honest I have never met a more pleasing and serviceminded staff. Great humour and to be honest very good looking.

One of the staff put the beer mat under her staff badge. Yes, it was chillin :clap1

I understand that you are puzzled. So where I. OK, in the morning and early afternoon a lot of guys chillin.

No girls. Great place to chill out btw.

In late evening some girls but very small numbers of guys. The reasonably looking girls where however taken out before they could say their own name. So all in all try it.

In the morning and early afternoon it seemed to be mostly expats and semi expats and the odd couple like me and GF. We all chilled.

I really hope that ends will meet and the freelancers meet their millionaries :cry2 to common joy.

Pete, I wish you the best of luck. This is a great enterprice and and a great place to spend some time.

Best regards

thaidane and GF

you have my custom.

been 2 trips and everyday at that.

see you next week.

my only complaint would be that my ass cheeks get sore sitting on them benches,especially after 1hr plus......i always lie lenghtways on them now,back against small wall......hope nobody minds feet pointing towards bar.....if they do....then bring me a cushion or 2......sorted.

No matter what you do or how well you run an establishment, there's always going to be one person who bitches about something. And frankly, receiving a beer that's not cold enough does not make my personal list of "things-to-flame-a-bar-about". There's one in every crowd though, Pete, so don't lose any sleep over it; if the beer was cold enough I'm sure he'd have come up with something else to bitch about.

GREAT turn-out of girls, too! I think I'll have to devote considerably more time there this trip.

And to Des/Fonz . . . . I bow to you, sir! :cry2 If I can have half your energy and enthusiasm and anything close to your attitude towards life at 83 I will consider myself a very lucky man. :clap1

I'll be in next week to help you out with the girls. :gulp :bow :bj2 :banana

Where have all the girls come from all of a sudden? A couple of weeks ago there was a thread saying there was a complete dearth of females as they preferred to hang around on Beach road instead.

Once they found out you left that's when they started coming around.

Edited by BigDUSA
Where have all the girls come from all of a sudden? A couple of weeks ago there was a thread saying there was a complete dearth of females as they preferred to hang around on Beach road instead.
They probably got fed up of standing around on the beach road getting wet and having their hair blown all over the place. It has been raining daily for a week now.

I am pleased things are working out for this bar..... I don't see myself paying any 1000 baht barfines in the near future. :banghead

Edited by jacko
I'll be in next week to help you out with the girls.

Once they found out you left that's when they started coming around.

Hopefully you would have managed to hammer out a sensible wage policy with the girls by the time I return. :allright

I went to the PBG on my last trip.

Not many FL's about.

Can't see that being a big issue as if there's none there then your right next to Walking Street. If you cant find a FL or BG there then your lucks out!

IMO the PBG is a great venue, very laid back and completely unique in Pattaya.

Top_Cat