Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Dont know about the sunday roast but breakfast very very good

The Queen vic on soi 6 has a great roast dinner ,but its not cheap for thia standand.

Also to to far from the action

That’s the point quality costs if it‘s Sunday roast or whatever. CT gives you a big breakfast for your money but the quality is sadly lacking, much better options in that area are (IMHO) Storm on soi LK and Robins Nest on Soi Dianna. Biggest for your money doesn’t equal best in my language.

As for Soi 6 far from the action surely you jest sir :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I'm paying with your money, no problem. If I'm paying with mine, I expect good quality.

Also don't go for the fish, chips & peas. Two small, shrivelled up pieces of fish, a few chips and peas. I think Dave has taken his cost cutting drive to new heights.

Breakfast still OK (for the price) but staff turnover does seem a problem and thus quality is very variable.

That’s the point quality costs if it‘s Sunday roast or whatever. CT gives you a big breakfast for your money but the quality is sadly lacking, much better options in that area are (IMHO) Storm on soi LK and Robins Nest on Soi Dianna. Biggest for your money doesn’t equal best in my language. :nod

As for Soi 6 far from the action surely you jest sir :D

Surely you jest sir ,Who ME ,no bargirl discussion here

where is dave

he's quick enough to promote his guest house

would be nice to hear what he has to say

I have to say, I enjoy the breakfasts and the book store. I haven't tried anything else, but if Dave doesn't get on here to reply (if he feels the need to), I'll let him know the next time I go have breakfast there. I just finished my last book tonight, so I need to go soon anyway.

I'm going to be embarrassed to explain how to find the topic..."Hey, Dave, there's a thread on pattayatalk about your place. Just look for the topic 'disgusting'." I'll make sure I'm on the street side of the restaurant when I say that.

I have eaten at CT twice on my last trip, for the price the breakfasts are good value and the

only problem i had was, on both occassions, i ordered tea and they brought coffee, quickly

changed without fuss though.

On my first trip i did like Rosie o'gradys for breakfast but on my last trip i tried it once

and could not eat it.

storm bar does food????

i thought he got it from an outside restaraunt,thats me wrong again lol.

Don’t know if they do a “full menu” but the breakfast is cooked to order on site. Proper coffee and OJ and nice bread for the toast. Sausages that have some meat in them and bacon that’s not 50% fat. About 100-150thb (I think) depending what you have.

For the most part you’ll find more meat in a butchers turn ups than you’d find in a Pattaya “breakfast special” sausage :nod

Was due to drive to the darkside for a sunday roast with my gf and stepson,but the battery on car was flat.We decided to take the motorbike and have the sunday roast at Canterbury Tales oc soi chayapoon.I ordered to roast beef( 250 baht each) and a spaghetti bolognase for my step son.

only 1 roast beef,so my gf ordered pork,she come back,no hab,so she ordered a full breakfast 100 baht.

the roast beef came with salad on and 3 cold pea pods,1 little cold cauli flower stem and gravy that was that thick it wouldnt come out of the dish.The spaghetti was crap,my sons words,and the brekkie was swimming in fat.A word of warning lads and lasses,DO NOT GO TO THIS PLACE FOR SUNDAY ROAST ITS BLOODY AWFUL.I told the service lady it was mai aroi and she looked at me with disgust and walked away.

btw

the bottle of tiger was not cold enough.

But apart from that were the chairs ok.

No seriously I wish I were there or you had contacted me, I must say I keep my eye on things as much as possible but cannot see every meal that is produced, so I rely on customers letting me know, it does seem sometimes people go onto forums and go for the throat and do not even contact the owners, such as in this case, dont you think it would be more productive to let me know instead of maybe exandgerating maybe a little, comments like swimming in fat for example, sorry I do not agree with all you say because I do keep my eye on things.

Of course you have every right to your view, and if your not one of my competitors, I do think your a bit out of order, most people who use Canterbury Tales Cafe know I very approachable and am the first one to make things right if a meal is bad etc, so all I can ask is let me know, if I know I can put it right, its surely better than just slagging a business, wouldnt you rather the owner knows so it will be put right.

Of course now I know and as I found out like this I find it hard to appologise to you.

Regards Dave.

PS, was I there at the time ??

I had a good breakfast there, and a bad fish and chip meal there a few weeks later.

It happens all over town, and for the low cost involved, not bad value, although I have not been back since, mainly as there is so much choice around.

Dave, I do think if you had apologized for the rudeness of you staff, you might keep a few more customers for your future, BWTF do I know.

Edited by mike100

I was'nt aware my staff are rude, I suppose they may lapse when I am not there and if I am told anything, anytime I will always deal with it.

It is frustrating with Thai staff, and often the lack of communication has a bearing on it, but of course if I am not told, I cant deal with things.

Thanx for your comments, hope to see you again sometime.

Dave

dave,

i didnt come on here to knock your business,but this is a forum and i have every right to state my feelings,the same as you when you advertise your business,and free.This wasnt just about a cold chip,but about a sunday roast that did not resemble a sunday rost whatsoever and at 250 baht not a cheapy place.Plus your staff was not interested when i said mai aroi,thats when she should have notified you,unless you werent there,and who the hell is your chef,i think he should have a course on how to cook sunday roasts,as its on your menu.

dave,

you have your regular customers and i am sure your business is ok generaly,and i am Not COMPETITION,that was very sad of you to say that,when somebody has a gfenuine complaint.

i find it hard to apologise to me ????????

i think you have just lost some business with that statement,as you dont realy give a flying fuck do you.

dave,

i didnt come on here to knock your business,but this is a forum and i have every right to state my feelings,the same as you when you advertise your business,and free.This wasnt just about a cold chip,but about a sunday roast that did not resemble a sunday rost whatsoever and at 250 baht not a cheapy place.Plus your staff was not interested when i said mai aroi,thats when she should have notified you,unless you werent there,and who the hell is your chef,i think he should have a course on how to cook sunday roasts,as its on your menu.

Quite agree, if our food is not up to it you should mention it/complain, I obviously would prefer you to tell me first hand also, I have addressed it, and as for the satff rudeness, which one ???, and of course they may not tell me a customer complains as it will get one or more of them in trouble.

I am not going to make excuses, if our food is not upto scratch I always deal with it, I can only appologise and put things right.

You see a Thai's attitude to a customer who complains is, go eat somewhere else, this I also have to deal with, thats why you no doubt got the shitty looks, thats why its important to let the owner know if you can.

I respect your views, Regards Dave

You see a Thai's attitude to a customer who complains is, go eat somewhere else, this I also have to deal with, thats why you no doubt got the shitty looks, thats why its important to let the owner know if you can.

I'm sorry but the customer has no such obligation, real or implied. What you want need not move the customer at all. Your inability to get your staff to treat customers to your standards puts no onus on a customer, not in any way.

This is a one-way responsibility: Owner->>-to-->>-customer. It is not a two-way street. It is entirely up to the customer to DECIDE if he wants to contact the owner/manager or whatever. He has no obligation to complain, comment, credit, contact or do anything else. His obligation to the restaurant is only and uniquely to legally pay or not pay his bill.

In this case, the customer (credibly) contacted the staff about his problem. He didn't even have to do that, but even when he did the staff blew him off. Why does he have even a tiny sliver of responsibility to carry that complaint further? So he can go farang on farang? Heh. It is absolutely up to him. He has no ethical or moral responsibility to do more.

It is also absolutely up to him whether to complain publicly. I might or might not do what the OP did, but I sure as hell wouldn't be taking any lessons from the restaurant owner about my actions.

I accept what you say dave,but i didnt even know if this place was owned by thai or farang.when the girl totaly ignored my mai aroi,that was the time to move on.

I also agree that it must be very difficult to control thai staff as i have seen first hand how childlike they can be,but you chose your business and you need a training programme set up maybe.

It is also absolutely up to him whether to complain publicly. I might or might not do what the OP did, but I sure as hell wouldn't be taking any lessons from the restaurant owner about my actions.

I don't blame you joe you might actually learn something and we all know how you hate that. :bigsmile:

I'm sorry but the customer has no such obligation, real or implied. What you want need not move the customer at all. Your inability to get your staff to treat customers to your standards puts no onus on a customer, not in any way.

This is a one-way responsibility: Owner->>-to-->>-customer. It is not a two-way street. It is entirely up to the customer to DECIDE if he wants to contact the owner/manager or whatever. He has no obligation to complain, comment, credit, contact or do anything else. His obligation to the restaurant is only and uniquely to legally pay or not pay his bill.

In this case, the customer (credibly) contacted the staff about his problem. He didn't even have to do that, but even when he did the staff blew him off. Why does he have even a tiny sliver of responsibility to carry that complaint further? So he can go farang on farang? Heh. It is absolutely up to him. He has no ethical or moral responsibility to do more.

Joe, I think that is the best post of yours that I have ever read.

Absolutely clear.

To the point.

Persuasive and accurate.

No dizzy after effect... :bigsmile:

Dont think I mentioned obligation, maybe you understand Thais, maybe not I dont know, tell me how would you get Thai staff to treat customers when your not there, I guess you would train them, maybe that would work, have you ever had any dealings with Thai staff ??, maybe you have, by your comments, maybe not.

Of course its up to the customer if he wants to contact the owner, I was talking about productively complaining, of course if you complain to staff they are NOT going to tell me and if the customer does not complain to me, how am I supposed to know, and the staff blew him off, I think he should pay extra for that.

As for your last comments sorry not sure I follow you.

All I can say really is that if Staff give a customer a hard time and the customer does not let me know then it will not improve my service, of course I understand not everyone is concerned with that, just go eat somewhere, have a bad meal, go and tell everyone but not the owner, job done, would not be my philosophy but thats me, I would rather let the owner/manager know so he could do something about it, but thats just me more concerned with getting the problem fixed at grass roots.

Of course I cannot please all the people all the time, how ever hard I try.

Dont think I mentioned obligation, maybe you understand Thais, maybe not I dont know, tell me how would you get Thai staff to treat customers when your not there, I guess you would train them, maybe that would work, have you ever had any dealings with Thai staff ??, maybe you have, by your comments, maybe not.

You're just transferring. My Thai staff doesn't affect your restaurant unless they eat there. By the OP's report you've failed to deal with your staff. He is discussing your business - not his business, not my business - yours.

Of course its up to the customer if he wants to contact the owner, I was talking about productively complaining,

You're grasping, Dave.

The customer really does not care if you and your restaurant prosper. In fact, after a horrible meal with shirty staff, he might lean towards hoping you do NOT prosper.

of course if you complain to staff they are NOT going to tell me and if the customer does not complain to me, how am I supposed to know, and the staff blew him off, I think he should pay extra for that.

You're supposed to know because you're the man in charge. If you don't know, that's YOUR failing, and has nothing at all to do with a customer who (credibly) was mistreated and insulted in your restaurant.

All I can say really is that if Staff give a customer a hard time and the customer does not let me know then it will not improve my service,

All I can say is I think your response to the OP is disappointing and that's the most polite word I can think up. You don't credibly address the described meal and you don't credibly address the reported insult to the OP. Instead you switch it around to where, following a horrible meal and a dissing by the staff, he should have pursued you personally.

I certainly would handle that kind of complaint and bad publicity somewhat differently.

NOW he has been mistreated and insulted, and your getting carried away with this, carry on and you will be able to write a book on the missgivings of Canterbury Tales Cafe, and I can sell it in the bookshop.

by the way I may add has most of its 16 rooms full, for the last few weeks, in high season people waiting outside for a seat for breakfast, and a couple of thriving bookshops.

So I suppose one unhappy customer(not even you)out of all the rest is not so bad, and I may add a customer who did not give me the opportunity to put things right, maybe everywhere you go is perfect and you never had reason to complain in Pattaya as I am sure if you did there would be a book on the issue.

Sorry what was YOUR complaint again.

Sorry what was YOUR complaint again.

No complaint, just a comment in a thread complaining about your business and public relations.

I'm okay with the fact your business is doing great despite the bad publicity. It doesn't reflect on me at all.

All I was trying to say was had the OP, complained to me, I would have dealt with the staff and offered him some sort of recompence, an obvious response from a concerned service provider, I dont think my public relations was poor ?? was it ?? in what way ??

Anyway Joe, try a breakfast yourself sometime, maybe it will be on a good day.

Regards Dave