Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Drat! Missed my flight...

Guess where I should have been right now guys. Yes, Pattaya - getting ready to head out to the bright lights and the go go bars for the evening.

Unfortunately, last night UK time I missed my night time flight from London to Bangkok yesterday which would have got me into Thailand by early evening and I could have hit the bars straight from the airport. :D

What is even more galling is the fact that this flight was the lowest priced ever that I have ever booked for Thailand at £350 (only £74 of this was for the fare with the rest taxes) as it was a special promotion.

The cheapest flight that I had flown on my previous visits was £450.

The airline involved allowed you to book your seats in advance over the internet so I had thought that I could avoid turning up 2 to 3 hours early in order to get a good seat as I had already carefully chosen my window seats one row from the emergency exit for each leg of the journey

But I cut it too fine as I arrived 10 minutes after check-in had closed just and it was a shock to see the whole of the check-in counter with its lights off and nobody there. This particular airline closed their check-in with 60 minutes to go unlike 45 minutes with some other airlines.

As their flights at this time of year are not that busy the check in staff did not hang around. There was no one to ask whether I had the option of walking on with my luggage

I went to the sales desk and the guy tried to book me on the next evening’s flight but then told me that he couldn't.

The flight that I had booked, as it was a special promotion, was completely non-changeable and non-refundable.

It was heart breaking to have lugged all that heavy luggage all the way across town and then to lug it all the way back home without getting on the flight - when I knew that round about that time I could have been on a flight being cosseted by lovely air stewardesses with the promise of even greater female attention to come in the next few hours.

I checked with the airline office in the morning and they said that their cheapest flight over the next couple of weeks was £479. They could refund me the taxes from my missed flight however after taking into account the £74 cost of the missed flight the difference between the cost of this flight and my original flight of £350 would be £205 extra.

It is really disheartening to think that being 10 minutes late could cost me that amount of money.

Being money conscious these days I really hate the thought of wasting £205. This is the first time with several dozens of flights that I have missed a flight – and to Thailand of all places. If this had happened to me a couple of years ago I would have been besides myself and would probably have made a bolt through security insisting that I got on the flight as it was still 45 minutes to take off.

However, given that my ardour for Thailand has cooled a little over the past couple of years I wasn’t as disappointed as I thought I would be. Even so I still had that empty feeling as if I had missed out big time especially as I had been abstaining from any form of sexual activity over the past couple of weeks so that I would be ready for Pattaya.

The thing also is I am in the middle of changing jobs and starting my new job at the beginning of November. I am on leave from the office until then so this would have been the ideal time to go. But on the other hand I am due to go to Thailand again in December and I am thinking that the £276 in refunded taxes I am due could be put towards the expenditure of a couple of nights or so on my next trip in Thailand – especially as it is going to be high season then with high prices.

Yes, I know some of the responses would be of the sort that I am a tw*t and that I should not have missed the flight in the first place especially given what was at stake - but I am just wondering if anyone else has missed their flight before and what you would do in my circumstances - get on the first available plane? Be sensible and rather than book a more expensive flight, save your money for next time? :moon

Edited by Sybarite
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooo Sybarite!

I think a few people might like to have some fun with you on this one.... got your tin hat?

As a human being and fellow BM however, I commiserate with you! Best get those wanking muscles back in order....as they say "it's in the wrist action". Use the refunded tax for a nice prezzie..... any ideas guys?

Andy Cap

Edited by capdagde

I prefer to get to the airport 10 minutes earlier then I have to just to avoid what your going through. Live and learn.

Best get those wanking muscles back in order....as they say "it's in the wrist action". Use the refunded task for a nice prezzie..... any ideas guys?

Andy Cap

Sybarite, you could try what Rambo uses.

It says it's intended for Men but you might qualify..............

http://www.passion8.co.uk/acatalog/QFleshlightSTU.html

:rolleyes:

So your cheapest trip to LOS is turing out to your most expensive...

Life's like that.

I would not have taken a chance like this on my way to Bangkok... I think you should have more repect for the destination (just joking...)

Auyway hope to hear from you on these threads from Thailand...

Edited by sick buffalo

Lesson learned I hope. Dont fuck around with international flights.

Better to spend 20 minutes picking your nose because you are early, than spend 20 weeks being resentful that you didnt make your flight!

I usually plan to get to the airport 3hrs before the scheduled departure. That way I can choose my seat and take my time in the airport without feeling rushed.

More importantly it gives you a buffer if something goes wrong either on your way or at the airport, and believe me things do go wrong.

I guess some people would say I'm over cautious, but guess what? I've never missed my plane!

I cant believe that you would cut it that close, havent you heard of Murphys Law? What if you would have had some car problems? Anyway Im sure you were doing something more valuable with this time like posting words of wisdom on this board. I hope it wasnt in regards to anything financial.

I'm shocked that two people in this thread said that they usually select their seats at the airport. Do most of you do that? I always select online and check periodically for a better seat. Seatguru.com is your friend.

Personally wouldnt dream of scheduling my arrival at Gatwick/Heathrow by any form of transport, with any less than 3 hours to spare.

Its a complete no brainer to do otherwise IMO.

Wouldnt call you a twat but its an expensive lesson to learn-its takes me between 24-30 hours depending on airline used to get to Los, door to door, so whats an extra couple hours when you travel that long ??

sorry about your loss of flight , i always leave in plenty of time even tho ive booked online and the seats are booked , always get to airport 3 hours before flight , to chill smoke and have a few beers and do some walking around as being sat on your ass that long hurts . to answer your question i would jump on next avalible flight as i couldnt face looking into the cam knowing i could be there .

"What makes it worse is that Sybarite lives in Southall which is only 10 minutes away from London Airport at Heathrow "

Is Sybarite really David Brent? :bigsmile:

We all have different circumstances regarding arriving at the airport before out flights to LOS, some BMs may be working until very late and are unable to get to the airport early.

Myself, I like to check in 3 hours before, get my seat sorted and then disappear to the airport lounge to chill out :sosad :sosad

syb,

I missed how long this trip was going to be, if it was just 2 weeks and you are going to lose 3 or 4 days because of your new work ,it's a difficult decision to make if you have nothing to do whilst in the UK. I would probably go on the first available flight and enjoy myself best I could.

I'm shocked that two people in this thread said that they usually select their seats at the airport. Do most of you do that? I always select online and check periodically for a better seat. Seatguru.com is your friend.

Generally I also book seats,however this trip my chosen airline,due to being 35% cheaper this facility is not offered! (Royal Brunei)

Not all airlines give you the option to select your seats when you book online.

Personally, I'm surprised anyone would schedule their arrival time to the airport to be so close to the time when check in closes. I mean it's not as if it's a movie, it's your vacation, you miss the flight, your vacation's fucked.

Thanks for that MC - hadn't heard of it and see that Emirates has seat change possibilities. Gulf Air not on it though.

Cheers

Andy Cap

P.S. I always arrive 2 to 3 hours before the flight and have a good book in my bag.

No I don't live in Southall. This was just another rubbish Pillion post. Flick through the other 6000 or so if you have the time.

Like for most people, time is money, and I hate sitting at an airport for an hour or two with little to do. I had to rush from work and so wanted to waste as little time as possible.

I wasn't aware that with many airlines you could book seats on line. This particular airline offered this option when you booked the tickets however I thought with most other airlines you would have to wait until you get to the airport (although a few allow you to check in on line 24 hours before the flight).

The main purpose of arriving 2 or 3 hours before the flight for me was to ensure that you get the best seat possible. As I had already had my seat allocated, this made me more relaxed about my arrival time at the airport.

Yes, they state that you need to be at the airport 2 to 3 hours before however in practise...

• People regularly turn up with an hour to an hour and a half to go on international flights and still get on their flight as most airlines have a 45 minute cut off for check in for international flight.
  • If there are queues for check - in you can normally tell your departure time to one of the attendants and go straight to the front of any check in queue to be checked in immediately
  • The airport staff do not want you to miss the flight anymore than you do and will bend over backwards e.g. allow you to walk on with luggage that would normally need to be checked in.

However, having not missed a flight before, this is just a timely reminder not to FUCK with the airlines because international flights are not something to be fucked with.

Also, take extra care with promotional fares. If it was a normal fare then the guy at the airport sales desk could have booked me on to the next available flight for that airline for a smallish charge of £75. However, as my fare was promotional it was completely restricted - so no changes or refunds.

Travelling back from the airport with heavy luggage even though your plane is still on the tarmac is soul destroying and is something I will be sure to avoid repeating...

No I don't live in Southall. This was just another rubbish Pillion post. Flick through the other 6000 or so if you have the time.

Like for most people, time is money, and I hate sitting at an airport for an hour or two with little to do. I had to rush from work and so wanted to waste as little time as possible.

I wasn't aware that with many airlines you could book seats on line. This particular airline offered this option when you booked the tickets however I thought with most other airlines you would have to wait until you get to the airport (although a few allow you to check in on line 24 hours before the flight).

The main purpose of arriving 2 or 3 hours before the flight for me was to ensure that you get the best seat possible. As I had already had my seat allocated, this made me more relaxed about my arrival time at the airport.

Yes, they state that you need to be at the airport 2 to 3 hours before however in practise...

• People regularly turn up with an hour to an hour and a half to go on international flights and still get on their flight as most airlines have a 45 minute cut off for check in for international flight.
  • If there are queues for check - in you can normally tell your departure time to one of the attendants and go straight to the front of any check in queue to be checked in immediately
  • The airport staff do not want you to miss the flight anymore than you do and will bend over backwards e.g. allow you to walk on with luggage that would normally need to be checked in.

However, having not missed a flight before, this is just a timely reminder not to FUCK with the airlines because international flights are not something to be fucked with.

Also, take extra care with promotional fares. If it was a normal fare then the guy at the airport sales desk could have booked me on to the next available flight for that airline for a smallish charge of £75. However, as my fare was promotional it was completely restricted - so no changes or refunds.

Travelling back from the airport with heavy luggage even though your plane is still on the tarmac is soul destroying and is something I will be sure to avoid repeating...

Actually one of the reasons for the 2 - 3 hrs before (at least in Sydney) is to give you time to go through immigration and customs due to the increased security checks.

Although, you may get preferential treatment at the check in counter. You usually aren't granted the same courtesy by customs/immigration.

Also if you've ever sat on the tarmac waiting to taxi out, there's nothing more annoying for the plane having to wait because of those who cut it fine.

Not all airlines give you the option to select your seats when you book online.

Are you able to call to confirm seat assignments? I can't imagine a proper airline with an established FF program would not let its customers select their seats for an international flight. The only exception I can think of is for an extremely discounted flight.

Thanks for that MC - hadn't heard of it and see that Emirates has seat change possibilities. Gulf Air not on it though.

Cheers

Andy Cap

Seatexpert.com claims to be adding Gulf Air soon. Hopefully that site works out for you.