Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Bar closures for November 2008

I am getting mixed signals from Pattaya police, Banglamung Licencing Authority and City Hall over rumoured bar closures this November 2008.

As most of you are probably aware, the funeral of King's sister takes place shortly. Estimates of the length of bar closures vary between zero and 3 days, depending on whom you talk to. City Hall does not appear to be talking with the same voice either. One guy in the Licencing Dept. quoted me 1 day; another guy in the same office said "Don't worry, stay open wth the support of the Pattaya authorities, it's only Bangkok that wants alcohol-free days."

Is there anyone out there who can see the wood through the trees and offer a reasonable answer, or it it a case of receiving a letter from the police giving your bar very little notice, as has been usual in the recent past?

Well if you can’t get a straight answer from the proper authorities I don’t see how an appeal to mongers will help clear things up. :clap1

I also want to know as I’m over there during that period as well and when I saw a post from a bar owner/manager/renter I thought we had a definitive answer. Instead everybody’s just in the same position with just rumours to go on the same as in the other 3 or 4 threads. :clap1 :D

I've talked to the beat cops and they are saying close on the 14th and 15th, but maybe can open on the 16th. But nobody knows how it's going to come down in Pattaya until somebody gets their instructions.

So, as usual, it's wait and see...and unable to plan.

As for FLB, we are probably going to close for 3 days...I am making plans for that now (days off, band days etc).

I am getting mixed signals from Pattaya police, Banglamung Licencing Authority and City Hall over rumoured bar closures this November 2008.

As most of you are probably aware, the funeral of King's sister takes place shortly. Estimates of the length of bar closures vary between zero and 3 days, depending on whom you talk to. City Hall does not appear to be talking with the same voice either. One guy in the Licencing Dept. quoted me 1 day; another guy in the same office said "Don't worry, stay open wth the support of the Pattaya authorities, it's only Bangkok that wants alcohol-free days."

Is there anyone out there who can see the wood through the trees and offer a reasonable answer, or it it a case of receiving a letter from the police giving your bar very little notice, as has been usual in the recent past?

Hi Paul,

As usual it's gonna be a classic case of wait and see. We'll most likely not know until the night before. A hell of a way to run a business let alone a country. But then again TIT.

Alf.

Well if you can’t get a straight answer from the proper authorities I don’t see how an appeal to mongers will help clear things up. <huh

I also want to know as I’m over there during that period as well and when I saw a post from a bar owner/manager/renter I thought we had a definitive answer. Instead everybody’s just in the same position with just rumours to go on the same as in the other 3 or 4 threads. :hairout :allright

Unfortunately, that's Thailand.

I've talked to the beat cops and they are saying close on the 14th and 15th, but maybe can open on the 16th. But nobody knows how it's going to come down in Pattaya until somebody gets their instructions.

So, as usual, it's wait and see...and unable to plan.

As for FLB, we are probably going to close for 3 days...I am making plans for that now (days off, band days etc).

Thanks for that, Martin.

Hi Paul,

As usual it's gonna be a classic case of wait and see. We'll most likely not know until the night before. A hell of a way to run a business let alone a country. But then again TIT.

Alf.

Cheers Alf.