Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

theese guys any good from the uk :chogdee

These guys just popped up on my regular travel agents as very cheap, so I'm interested to know too.

Via Hong Kong, so approx 14.5 hrs total travel time from LHR?

Do you mean Cathay Pacific ?

If so they have been around for donkeys years and have a very good reputation.

Via Hong Kong so extra travelling time, but probably no more than via the Middle East. Known for good service only the oriental ladies can provide. Hong Kong a large efficient airport... good shopping.

Cathay Pacific is an excellent airline and I would rate them second only to Singapore Air.

Founded in 1946 by two World War II pilots (one American and one Australian) and purchased a couple of years later by the British Hong Kong group, Swire, that stills owns them today.

They have had only one fatal accident and it wasn't their fault. Some idiot planted a bomb on a flight back in, I think, the early 1970s.

Edited by Scalawag
I am glad to see these positive replies. I booked with them SFO-BKK this morning. They were the cheapest I could find and had a good itinerary. (+ AA miles)

See you guys in Jan.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I flew this same route with Cathay 4 years ago and was quite pleased with the service. All legs of the flights were on time. SFO-HKG is a 747-400 and I believe I took a A330 to BKK.

I flew Cathay Pacific for first time last year; on my first flight to LOS. I am flying with them again in one week, which is a big endorsement. But I also had a problem (my fault) with the online booking this year, and their service was tremendous! (Which is really rare.) So I highly recommend them!

• 3 weeks later...

If you go to skytrax.com you will see that they are on of 5 or so AL that are rated 5 star. I have flown them 2x from LA to BKK via HK. They ROCK! Okay what I am trying to say is that they are far Superior to what I am used to here in US. I have heard mixed revives on the new seats. Business was so sweet. I have a found a UA ticket for $1072 from Denver RT so I can't really pay an extra 5-6 bills for a better flight but sure am tempted. Actually the first time I took them I got sick before I got on the flight and had to lay over in LAX. It was a head cold and my ears were not clear enough to fly. Almost lost my hearing in one ear. They never questioned me and simply put me on a flight 2 days later. Try that on UA. Thai WAS my favorite though. Flew economy plus from LAX direct last year. Oh that was so sweet. Big chair and no transfer in HK. That is the annoying thing with CX. THe transfer in HK took me from on side of airport to other and had to go though security 2xs since terrorists attacks were up. But Thai air got expensive and discontinued this direct route. The stewardesses are nicer and much cuter on Thai Air:)

AN

Best airline I have ever flown on. (I have never flown on Singapore). The service is decent, they fly on time, their cabins are well maintained, and the check-in staff are fast and competent. I still mostly use EVA for the Evergreen Deluxe/Elite class, but would not hesitate to use Cathay Pacific at any time. Their business class is miles ahead of EVA.

Thai Airways' website still shows LAX-BKK flights on Airbus A340.

When did they discontinue these flights?

Only the JFK - BKK flights were discontinued. LAX - BKK is still going.

If they start a Manchester to Hong Kong route, I would be very interested. As it is, I certainly do not want to go via LHR! I use them from Bangkok to Singapore, they have a great deal on Biz class and the timings are great.

Edited by jacko

I have been succesful many times getting a first class award seat, LAX or SFO to BKK, It is well worth the 140,000 or so air miles, lay flat seats, pajamas. The availablity of the first class award seats seem to really open up from 1 month-5 days before the travel date. I highly recomend if you get the chance. I had one set for last week, darn! Maybe I will try again in January.

I have been succesful many times getting a first class award seat, LAX or SFO to BKK, It is well worth the 140,000 or so air miles, lay flat seats, pajamas. The availablity of the first class award seats seem to really open up from 1 month-5 days before the travel date. I highly recomend if you get the chance. I had one set for last week, darn! Maybe I will try again in January.

Ditto from me on the ease getting the award business class seats.

Compare that to Northworst, where I called every day for a few months with completely flexible dates and could never use my miles to get a biz class seat.

Cathay is the vest airline I have ever flown. Other than a direct flight, you can't beat the non-stop to HK from US for a shower and change before a quick jump to bangkok.

If they start a Manchester to Hong Kong route, I would be very interested. As it is, I certainly do not want to go via LHR! I use them from Bangkok to Singapore, they have a great deal on Biz class and the timings are great.

No chance of Cathay operating from Manchester. Cathay tried some 7 years ago and pulled the service. Cathay concentrate on LHR.

No chance of Cathay operating from Manchester. Cathay tried some 7 years ago and pulled the service. Cathay concentrate on LHR.
Thanks, I though I recollected seeing one of their aircraft a few times many years ago when landing at Manchester. I was worried I was daydreaming. Best connection is still via Singapore then, if you can afford it! Edited by jacko
  • 2 weeks later...
I am glad to see these positive replies. I booked with them SFO-BKK this morning. They were the cheapest I could find and had a good itinerary. (+ AA miles)

See you guys in Jan.

:gulp :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Don't count on the AA miles. Per AA.com , only B, Y, and H fares earn miles in economy. Everything else earns zilch on AA.

Still a great airline, and HKG has got to be my favorite airport.