Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Can someone tell me if the Motorola RAZR V3m (purchased and in current use here in the US) is a model that can be "unlocked" for use in Asia? Or is there some spec I can look for either in the user literature or from the phone's system data via the user interface that will tell me this?

A quick Google for "Unlock Motorola Razr V3M" gives a plethora of useful info on this subject, including a few threads that likely lead to you being able to unlock it yourself now.

I have a motorola razor that is blocked in the UK, (unusable) pop in a one 2 go sim card in Thailand and bingo, it works...!!

• 3 years later...

Can someone please verify this:

IF your cellphone has an "MEID" (14-digits) instead of an "IMEI" (15 or 17 digits; the number you provide to a 3rd party in order to obtain an "unlock code" for your phone), then it's not GSM-capable and you probably won't be able to use it overseas. Both are identification numbers, but GSM-radio equipped phones will always have the IMEI while CDMA phones may have an MEID instead (often found on a sticker under the battery).

see http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-IMEI-Number-on-a-Mobile-Phone (scroll about 4/5 down the page)

(I have a Samsung Alias2/SCH-u750 which has an MEID and, from all I've been able to find, is not GSM-capable.)

The US uses a different set of GSM frequencies than the rest of the world. The phone needs to be quad band GSM if you want to use it in the US and the rest of the world.

The US uses a different set of GSM frequencies than the rest of the world. The phone needs to be quad band GSM if you want to use it in the US and the rest of the world.

I don't think it's even GSM, so that's irrelevant.

CDMA systems use an ID in the phone to identify it on the network and it is becoming increasingly rare even in North America. Certainly overseas you need a GSM phone that is quad band or covers the two GSM frequencies used in Asia (not the same as North America).

The easiest way to confirm your phone is GSM is that it has a SIM card in it.

they sell them at BKM so I think they can be unlocked.....

What is BKM ?

The V3M is CDMA, so it's useless in LOS, because the CDMA providers in LOS won't activate them for you, don't know why, any CDMA operator in North America will activate a CDMA phone if it's not stolen or currently locked into a contract.

http://www.phonearen...RAZR-V3m_id1566

So, in the case of using a Razr V3M in LOS, forget about it.

Edited by LocalYokul

Here's a great link (current I assume) listing frequencies in most countries.Shows 3 GSM frequencies in Thailand.Just because your phone is GSM doesn't necessarily mean it will work in any given country.I currently have phones for Peru,Thailand,Mexico and US-not by choice!

Edited by bigdelta

CDMA systems use an ID in the phone to identify it on the network and it is becoming increasingly rare even in North America.

Verizon appears to be the dominant carrier in the US and it is CDMA unfortunately. AT&T is GSM and they do offer pay as you go.

if it's CDMA you're pooched,as many have said. i didn't think people still used these relics!

I think the phone was released 6 years ago. Truly ancient.

• 6 months later...

Can someone tell me if the Motorola RAZR V3m (purchased and in current use here in the US) is a model that can be "unlocked" for use in Asia? Or is there some spec I can look for either in the user literature or from the phone's system data via the user interface that will tell me this?

You can use your Motorola RAZR v3m mobile in Asia by unlocking it from US network provider. You don't need to specify information like user literature or system data to unlock it. The simple way to unlock is by getting the unlock code. I would suggest you to visit Unlock-zone.com which provides you the code through mail with instructions to unlock it easily.

Edited by warriorofceltic

I took a brand new Samsung to Tukom to get it unlocked and not only could they not do it (google suggests that it's just a code that is required) but they fucked it up as well as scratched the screen. I had to buy a replacement when I got home.

No - it can't be used. 'Has nothing to do with whether or not it can be unlocked. 'More to it than that, but won't repeat what others have already contributed to the thread. WRT my OP, it's all OBE. Thanks, anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm holding onto my old Samsung Omnia II just for use outside North America.

The phone system here sucks, the way they lock them and the fact that most of the providers are still using CDMA technology.

Would you believe that you can't even change one CDMA phone from one provider to another?

The models are exclusive to the carrier, so it only works on their network.

There are about 3 different versions of the same Motorola phone that I use, but each for different networks. The Droid version is on Verizon, Triumph is on Virgin, and there's another for Sprint.

It's so sad that no one has overthrown this totalitarian way of handling the telecommunication.

Edited by LocalYokul

I'm holding onto my old Samsung Omnia II just for use outside North America.

The phone system here sucks, the way they lock them and the fact that most of the providers are still using CDMA technology.

Would you believe that you can't even change one CDMA phone from one provider to another?

The models are exclusive to the carrier, so it only works on their network.

There are about 3 different versions of the same Motorola phone that I use, but each for different networks. The Droid version is on Verizon, Triumph is on Virgin, and there's another for Sprint.

It's so sad that no one has overthrown this totalitarian way of handling the telecommunication.

You should confirm where 'here' is, although I am guessing it is 'the land of the free'....

It says Thailand under your pic.

You should confirm where 'here' is, although I am guessing it is 'the land of the free'....

It says Thailand under your pic.

What part of "for use outside North America." didn't you understand?