Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 312 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

A few months ago, I came to my senses and realized that without a Thai driving license, I could not get insured and paying bribes was becoming redundant. So I went to the office on highway 36 early in the morning and shuffled along with the other "fallangs" to do the color, distance, and reaction tests. Then it was downstairs to watch a video made in the 1980s about road safety. Then back upstairs to take a computerized multiple choice test. I failed by 4. The good thing about the test is that the computer shows you the correct answers for the questions you answered incorrectly. I tried my best to memorize those. I found the questions ambiguous and I felt several of the answers were possibilities.

post-16119-1226901473.gif

The good thing about being a failure is that you can come back in the afternoon and try again. Failing that, come back tomorrow for another 2 chances (TiT). I passed in the afternoon and then was led out back to do the driving test. That was funny because we are tested as a group. As long as you don't fall off your bike, you pass. 20 minutes later, I walked away with my new plastic driving license @ 105 baht for 1 year. The license can only be renewed once the initial license expires (TiT) and then it's for 5 years @ 500 baht.

In my herd of foreigners, there were some very old guys who failed at least one of the color, distance, and reaction tests but he can come back later in the day. There were some other guys who didn't speak any English at all. Just German or French. I reckon there's no chance these guys could pass the theory.

Anyone with any experiences?

post-16119-1226901388.jpg

post-16119-1226901423.jpg

Edited by azharleyboy

All I had to do was queue up alot, have lots of paperwork in triplicate and do the colour, distance, reaction test - then pay the money and they kindly gave me a 1 yr bike and car licences.

This was in March 08. No videos, no multi choice tests, no driving/riding test - wonder why it was different for you.

Edited by ingo67
All I had to do was queue up alot, have lots of paperwork in triplicate and do the colour, distance, reaction test - then pay the money and they kindly gave me a 1 yr bike and car licences.

This was in March 08. No videos, no multi choice tests, no driving/riding test - wonder why it was different for you.

If you had an International Driving Licence as well as your National Driving Licence, you don't have to pass the practical driving test, just the brake, colour, and distance tests. On the peripheral vision test I could see the red and green but for the life of me I couldn't see the yellow. When the lady said "say colour" and I couldn't see anything, I knew it couldn't have been red or green, so I just said Yellow and I passed. I asked for both the car and bike licences and although my British licence doesn't allow me to drive a bike, and I have only driven an automatic once in my life, and that was 20 years ago, they gave me both licences. They just can't read English. It's so easy here. Buddha Bless Them!

If you had an International Driving Licence as well as your National Driving Licence, you don't have to pass the practical driving test,

Don't have an International Drivng Licence, only have British Driving Licence.

If you had an International Driving Licence as well as your National Driving Licence, you don't have to pass the practical driving test, just the brake, colour, and distance tests. On the peripheral vision test I could see the red and green but for the life of me I couldn't see the yellow. When the lady said "say colour" and I couldn't see anything, I knew it couldn't have been red or green, so I just said Yellow and I passed. I asked for both the car and bike licences and although my British licence doesn't allow me to drive a bike, and I have only driven an automatic once in my life, and that was 20 years ago, they gave me both licences. They just can't read English. It's so easy here. Buddha Bless Them!
Is this a new thing? I have a UK licence and got both my Thai car and bike licences without the need for an International just over a year ago.. No tests other than the depth perception, reaction and colour blindness.I do have motorcycle on my UK licence.
  • 3 weeks later...
I have an Australian national and and international drivers licence, do I really need a Thai licence or is it just for insurance purposes?

If you're going to live in Thailand you must get a Thai licence for many reasons. Otherwise, outside of a few specialty things, you definitely don't need one.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I renewed my drivers license for my motorbike & car last month. here's what I did. I went to a clinic for a physical certificate. At the clinic the doctor asked if I was OK. I said I was OK, so I passed. Cost 200 baht. Went to immigration with copies of passport and form and 3 pictures. At immigration I was given 2 copies of the form they gave me. Cost about 500 baht. Went to drivers license bureau and they took copies of my passport & my old drivers license. They only took only one form immigration office. This was about 10:00 A.M. After accepting all papers & everything they told me to come back at 1:00 P.M. I took a eye color test and a reflex machine. Took about 10 minutes. Then I had to go into a room and watch a video for 1 hour, about what to do when driving. After that I had to pay about 1000 baht for the renewal fee for bike & car. Then had to wait for my picture & licenses made. By the time I was done I was out by 2:00 P.M. One thing they didn't want was the physical certificate. That was a waste of time & money. But at least it's done for another 5 years.

• Upvote 1

Double checked my license. Issue date 21 April 2005 expiration date 16 August 2022. I guess they put down the date back in 2005 when I first applied and I get a 6 year renewal.

2005 to 2022 would be a long time, I guess you have had renewals between those years! Seventeen!

Mine (current) says was issued in 2007 (but that was actually the old style previous one) and expires 2018. So that total validity is 5+5 years PLUS rounding it up to my next birthday.

My previous licence (old style) was a 5 year one, but was again rounded up to my next birthday.....making it look like 6 years.

I recall I renewed early as the new credit card style ones had been out a while and the dopey farang toy police kept arguing over my old style Thai licence insisting it was not a valid Thai licence.

Edited by jacko