Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Retiring to Thailand

My research is showing me that a non-immigrant visa to retire to Thailand is a maximum of one year plus I need cash deposit as well.

The one year thing seems quite inconvenient as I get older and more feeble or ill.

You don't do visa runs for that, do you?

I love Thailand but it doesn't seem like they make it easy to retire there.

Edited by midlifecrisis
My research is showing me that a non-immigrant visa to retire to Thailand is a maximum of one year plus I need cash deposit as well.

The one year thing seems quite inconvenient as I get older and more feeble or ill.

You don't do visa runs for that, do you?

I love Thailand but it doesn't seem like they make it easy to retire there.

Do a bit more research. You can prove income as an alternative to money on bank deposit or combination. The 'retirement visa' obtained in Thailand is an extension of a Non Imm. You just go extend it for another year and need not leave Thailand. You need to report to immigration every 3 months with this retiremnt extension. A (non-converted) Non Imm visa type O, would require the visa runs.
Do a bit more research. You can prove income as an alternative to money on bank deposit or combination. The 'retirement visa' obtained in Thailand is an extension of a Non Imm. You just go extend it for another year and need not leave Thailand. You need to report to immigration every 3 months with this retiremnt extension. A (non-converted) Non Imm visa type O, would require the visa runs.

Yes, I see that.

But as a feeble or very ill elderly, going to immigration offices every 3 months could be difficult at best.

The three month report to immigration on a retirement visa is quick and easy. Taxis are cheap in THailand and can be found easily to take you to immigration if it is in the same city. A little harder if you have to travel but travel is one of the best bargains in Thailand. Find an English speaking Thai girl to assist you if you are old and feeble.

Yes, I see that.

But as a feeble or very ill elderly, going to immigration offices every 3 months could be difficult at best.

You may want to consider Cambodia where it's not necessary to leave-ever.A business visa,valid for 30 days on arrival (no questions asked) may be renewed legally,in perpetuity,for roughly $270 per year.

Yes, I see that.

Yes it could, but I see wheelchairs get there. Someone so unhealthy might be treated as a special case. I heard of another guy who is , and they allowed someone else to do his 3 month reporting. A doctors report was required.

I am sure one of the Expats clubs or visa offices would help get this organised

Also someone who is unable to report..... recovering in hospital for example... gets special arrangements. There may even be a special visa for those who are 'medical tourists' but I do not know the details.

Immigration can be quite accommodating..

Edited by jacko
Yes it could, but I see wheelchairs get there. Someone so unhealthy might be treated as a special case. I heard of another guy who is , and they allowed someone else to do his 3 month reporting. A doctors report was required.

I am sure one of the Expats clubs or visa offices would help get this organised

Also someone who is unable to report..... recovering in hospital for example... gets special arrangements. There may even be a special visa for those who are 'medical tourists' but I do not know the details.

Thanks. I knew there had to be some compassionate reasoning in there some where.

I remember reading somewhere that they were thinking about allowing online reporting for the 90 day address thing. Maybe it was on an Immigration web site? Anyway, it would make sense.

J

One thing that you may find helpful after a stressful visit to the immigration office in Jomtien is a relaxing massage at the Yellow House. I've heard about a massuse named Tammy that is excellent in relieving stress.

The normal retirement visa requires a one year renewal. Still, it's not that onerous if you have your papers in order.

J

Absolutely correct. And it's not that difficult to have your papers in order.

The 90 day reporting only takes a few minutes and as someone else suggested, can be done by someone else on your behalf if you're ill or in hospital. Incidentally, when you do your 90 day reporting Immigration in Pattaya want to see some evidence of your address. A telephone bill etc is sufficient. I took a copy as well as the original - they kept the copy.

Alan

I remember reading somewhere that they were thinking about allowing online reporting for the 90 day address thing. Maybe it was on an Immigration web site? Anyway, it would make sense.

J

Online 90-day reporting has been set up for some of the rural provinces. It's not available yet in Bangkok or Chonburi.

To midlife crisis:

I don't recommend it, but an alternative is an elite visa. If I recall, for a few million baht, it gets you a 5-year visa. It also gets you some discounts on things like green fees. I saw a used one advertised on TV, but heck if I know whether it is transferable.

The reason I didn't go that route is that with Thailand's political uncertainty and immigration rules that change every day, who knows after plopping down a few million baht whether the visa will still be honored a week later?

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox
Online 90-day reporting has been set up for some of the rural provinces. It's not available yet in Bangkok or Chonburi.

To midlife crisis:

I don't recommend it, but an alternative is an elite visa. If I recall, for a few million baht, it gets you a 5-year visa. It also gets you some discounts on things like green fees. I saw a used one advertised on TV, but heck if I know whether it is transferable.

The reason I didn't go that route is that with Thailand's political uncertainty and immigration rules that change every day, who knows after plopping down a few million baht whether the visa will still be honored a week later?

a million anything makes me say thanks but no thanks

Especially in the land where money talks and bullshit walks a small dose of tea money can grease the wheels of many a government office.