Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Sam's Mexican & American Grill

Sam previously catered food at Shooter's (now known as Club Mirage) located on Soi Diamond. He has opened a restaurant on Jomtien Plaza (turn at the Hanuman statue, make a right turn when you pass Ace Cafe, towards the end of the street on your right).

sam1.jpg

P1010874.jpg

The restaurant is small (max. seating is 14), but nicely decorated.

P1010884.jpg

P1010883.jpg

P1010882.jpg

The menu is what you would expect from Sam: appetizers, burgers, sandwiches, and a selection of Mexican items.

P1010875.jpg

P1010877-1.jpg

P1010878.jpg

P1010879.jpg

P1010880-1.jpg

I have previously eaten Sam's nachos and quesadillas which are very good, especially when washed down with some of the libations served at Shooters. We settled on a Mexican combination plate and a cheeseburger.

P1010885-1.jpg

P1010888.jpg

I had a beef taco. It was outstanding. By far, the best I have eaten in Thailand. I would have preferred shredded beef over ground beef, but the taco was very close to the type you would eat in a SoCal taco-burger stand. Next time, I will opt for the chicken taco, because the ground beef, while flavorful, didn't do justice to the rest of the taco which was crunchy and succulent. The enchilada, however, was a little disappointing. An enchilada lives off its sauce, and the sauce was just plain flat. No taste. I think Sam might need to import some poblano chilies. The rice was good, with a good smattering of spice and carrots. The beans were adequate, but also lacked in the flavor department. A little of Sam's nice salsa assisted in the flavor department.

The hamburger was really good. Another surprise. Ground beef in Thailand is usually terrible. Sam's burger tasted great! It was cooked properly, and was not dried out. And, it was topped with a slice of good ol' Kraft American cheese. Now, Kraft American cheese is an abomination. But, it is a necessary ingredient for an American comfort-food cheeseburger. It's like the cheese whiz on a Philly Cheesesteak. The french fries were properly cooked. While the portion was small, they were very good. The cole slaw was ok. A little too much mayonnaise, and not enough vinegar for my taste. The cabbage had gone soft, and I prefer a little more crunch.

Overall, a good experience at a brand new restaurant. The wait staff was friendly and the service was good. They might need to brush up on their English. I'll be back.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like a rather decent place to check out on my next visit. Nothing like a good burger and and a cold beer. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that combination mexican plate looks very delicious. Do they make chile verde, or tamales?

You know, I have been told that mayonnaise does not keep well in the shelves in Pattaya by a restaurant owner. He states it separates. I wonder how they use mayonnaise in coleslaw or serve it with sandwiches?...hhhmmm

the taco that is pictured is an American taco.A Mexican taco is round,but so much for semantics.Having spent the past year in Mexico prior to moving to Gaytien,I look forward to the visit as it's just around the corner.If they only had tamales.And 75 baht for chips and salsa which were free back in 'ol Mehico!

Edited by LTGTR
the taco that is pictured is an American taco.A Mexican taco is round,but so much for semantics.Having spent the past year in Mexico prior to moving to Gaytien,I look forward to the visit as it's just around the corner.If they only had tamales.And 75 baht for chips and salsa which were free back in 'ol Mehico!

American and Mexican tacos are completely different. American tacos were essentially invented shortly after WWII, when the device that allows U-shaped tacos was patented. In the 1950's Gordon Bell opened two Taco Tia restaurants in San Bernardino, after having an unsuccessful go at a hot dog stand. He sold those taco restaurants and subsequently opened a restaurant in Downey, California, in competition with, but different than a restaurant owned by the McDonald brothers. That was the start of fast food giants Taco Bell and McDonalds. The popularity of the American taco grew exponentially.

Traditional Mexican tacos feature two corn tortillas, not fried, with a small amount of meat (often barbecued), chopped onions and cilantro, sometimes accompanied by a red or green salsa.

Tacosalpastor.jpg

830693738_fa519d4f08.jpg

455458921_4da3a3cc12.jpg

You know, I have been told that mayonnaise does not keep well in the shelves in Pattaya by a restaurant owner. He states it separates. I wonder how they use mayonnaise in coleslaw or serve it with sandwiches?...hhhmmm

Never heard that BUT you can easily make your own mayonnaise every day or so, or you can go to the supermarket every few days or one week and pick up a small supply. No reason to keep it so long that it separates.

Wow that combination mexican plate looks very delicious. Do they make chile verde, or tamales?

I just bought my first mayonnaise in Thailand today, as a matter of fact. I was looking for Best Mayonnaise, but the closest I could find was Kraft Real Mayonnaise. Just had some and it was fine...and no problem with the consistency or separation. I did notice that Foodland actually makes their own and sells it in the deli section. I might try that, since it comes in a small container.

I've had Sam's food before, and his quality was good. I would make a special trip for the carne asada quesadillas.

I just bought my first mayonnaise in Thailand today, as a matter of fact. I was looking for Best Mayonnaise, but the closest I could find was Kraft Real Mayonnaise. Just had some and it was fine...and no problem with the consistency or separation. I did notice that Foodland actually makes their own and sells it in the deli section. I might try that, since it comes in a small container.

I've had Sam's food before, and his quality was good. I would make a special trip for the carne asada quesadillas.

Be very careful with off brand mayo. Mayonnaise is tricky to manufacture and produce safely. Stick with Kraft and you should have no problems. Let's not forget once opened keep refrigerated.

I visited last week and had the combination plate pictured above,along with the nachos and salsa.All in all,pleasant.Music way too loud and owner had to lower it when he realized we could not carry on a conversation.Staff should realize that when a customer enters.I'll visit again this week before final judgment.

American and Mexican tacos are completely different. American tacos were essentially invented shortly after WWII, when the device that allows U-shaped tacos was patented. In the 1950's Gordon Bell opened two Taco Tia restaurants in San Bernardino, after having an unsuccessful go at a hot dog stand. He sold those taco restaurants and subsequently opened a restaurant in Downey, California, in competition with, but different than a restaurant owned by the McDonald brothers. That was the start of fast food giants Taco Bell and McDonalds. The popularity of the American taco grew exponentially.

Traditional Mexican tacos feature two corn tortillas, not fried, with a small amount of meat (often barbecued), chopped onions and cilantro, sometimes accompanied by a red or green salsa.

Tacosalpastor.jpg

830693738_fa519d4f08.jpg

455458921_4da3a3cc12.jpg

Tacos pictured in top pic are flour,not corn (maize).Great taco history.

Tacos pictured in top pic are flour,not corn (maize).Great taco history.

No, those are made with corn tortillas. You need to look at the texture of the tortilla, not the color. Most corn tortillas are made from white corn, as there is a shortage of yellow corn, and yellow corn flour (masa) has become more expensive than white corn flour.

white corn and yellow corn tortillas

corn2.jpg

flour tortillas

2500449393_3407464630.jpg

101315970_7cf935d0b7.jpg

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Good eye.

I was by for a 2nd visit last week and the best bargains are the 5 or so specials.The remainder of the menu is about 10-20 overpriced,making the specials a value.I had the 2 taco special for 80 baht and both were good,alonf with the chips and nacho cheese-mixed with the salsa makes a good dip for the chips.

Went by on Sunday and was closed.

I can bring you a jar of Bests over in a few weeks if you want.

• 1 month later...

I stopped by twice before but the shop was closed...the second time I looked at the small sign on the door and saw that it is closed on Sunday...It was sunday...so, yesterday, Tuesday, my wife and I stopped by. We couldn't stay so ordered 4 beef and 4 chicken tacos to go.

The beef was OK and the chicken a bit dry...in fact, the beef was tasty...the sauce provided was very mild but added to the chicken it moistened it up a lot. I enjoyed both the taco types with the beef tasting the best to me. Next time I will have sour cream and/or guacomole added to it..both of these are for sale at the shop. I prefer a hot salsa...I have some at home and will try it the next time I take out tacos from here.

When we went into the shop the staff had the radio turned up load but as we entered they quickly turned it down low. Thanks for that consideration. I will return for sure to give the tacos a second try and to sit down to a combination plate. I recommend this shop.

I've been there twice now. Both times I've had the taco/enchilada combination. The salsa is nice and spicy, not sweet like some I've had here in Thailand. The refried beans are good...

I'll be going back. I'm a fan!

I stopped by twice before but the shop was closed...the second time I looked at the small sign on the door and saw that it is closed on Sunday...It was sunday...so, yesterday, Tuesday, my wife and I stopped by. We couldn't stay so ordered 4 beef and 4 chicken tacos to go.

The beef was OK and the chicken a bit dry...in fact, the beef was tasty...the sauce provided was very mild but added to the chicken it moistened it up a lot. I enjoyed both the taco types with the beef tasting the best to me. Next time I will have sour cream and/or guacomole added to it..both of these are for sale at the shop. I prefer a hot salsa...I have some at home and will try it the next time I take out tacos from here.

When we went into the shop the staff had the radio turned up load but as we entered they quickly turned it down low. Thanks for that consideration. I will return for sure to give the tacos a second try and to sit down to a combination plate. I recommend this shop.

I visit 2-3 times per week as it's near my condo.Sam's away for a month,so the staff had the music loUd,which was the norm for the 1st few months.Sam apparently told them to play mellow Western music,but while the cat's away.....

The spaghetti special on Wednesday is the best Italian bargain I have found at 99b.Best garlic bread in town and nice small salad a good meatballs.Their pork sandwich special with great fries and coleslaw at 119b is excellent also.As for the fish tacos,excellent.Chips and salsa or nacho cheese are a bit expensive.

All in all,excellent.

Edited by LTGTR
  • 7 years later...

It looks like it really is closed now. It definitely was not open tonight. The sign has been removed from its overhead location and was sitting in front of the door. It looks like work is in progress to enclose what had been a small outdoor seating area.

Too bad, Sam had some of the best Tex-Mex in Pattaya.