Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 252 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Where can I buy a cheap DVD player

Hi folks, I will be staying over for a while, and would like to buy a very cheap DVD player to hook up to the TV in my room.

Nothing fancy just something that will play a few movies, while i slowly wake up from the night before's activities.

Is Tukcom the place to go, or can anyone reccommend anywhere else. What would be the bottom line cost ?

Thanks in advance.

Yes I was wandering about BigC (south) yesterday and these things are everywhere and cheap. Plenty well under 2000 baht.....

I have one that plays CDs and MP3 files, so I have burned collations of favourite music.... great for background entertainment.

Then there's the opportunity to play 'educational' movies in the evening before the nightime activities.... but you weren't thinking of that were you? :bigsmile:

If you don't mind the effort of catching a baht bus to Naklua (only 10bt and you can see a different aspect of Pattaya at the same time), you could try the electrical goods store on the northern side of the main intersection just before the seafood market.

In my experience a better price than all the large department stores, plus they've heard of old-fashioned service.

Having checked out all the stores before I actually bought the DVD's for 3Som, I know that Tesco was the cheapest, but Carrefour has the biggest selection.

And yes, you can find some really decent dvd players under 1000baht.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen the lower priced ones over at Carrefour for around 1000 baht, sometimes less if they put one on sale. If your looking for an even lower price then check out the 2nd hand shops.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out whether it will play all DVDs, not only those you buy but those you download without having to change the format. I think the spec is DIVX or something.

Bt1000 is bottom end, Bt2000 or less is adequate.

Check out whether it will play all DVDs, not only those you buy but those you download without having to change the format. I think the spec is DIVX or something.

Bt1000 is bottom end, Bt2000 or less is adequate.

No reason to be paying 2,000 baht. Right bargaining and you'll have a great unit for under 1,000 baht.

But an excellent point up there: All "good" cheap DVD players these days come with a USB port where you can plug in a thumb drive, portable drive or whatever and play directly without any disk, without any conversion.

Edited by joekicker

You should also be aware that the cheaper dvd players dont usually have a warranty. Ask the staff about this before you take one. I know its hard for us to believe but if you take it back a couple of weeks later, even with the receipt, they dont want to know you.

Carrefour are doing a dvd player with a USB socket in the front for 760baht....a bargain.

Why the usb...well you can download uk tv from bittorrent sites and do a quick transfer onto a flash dongle then stick it into your dvd usb slot and hey presto..uk tv on your tv screen.

• 2 weeks later...

This may seem like a silly suggestion, but I just bought a couple of cheap dvd players in tesco, in the uk, which we are going to take out of the box, and pop them in wifes suitcase as they are only about an inch high out of the box, to take to ghana for the inlaws, if you have friends or family coming out to see you it may be worth a try, they were on special offer at the moment, £17.50, at current exchange rates less than 900 bht each.

Edited by bigjl
Not such a silly idea Bigjl, thats what i did. Bought one at tesco and took it with me. £17.50 and all was well. Thanks
Fine, so long as the region coding is not incorporated!

at Lotus today the options were Nano Brand, on Sale for 780b

the Nano says it plays MP4s too, but I couldn't thing of a reason why you'd have MP4 discs

there was another no-name brand for 790, not on sale

& the AJ Model D-181E was on sale at 1,090

AJ is supposed to play just about any disc, so it seemed like the best option

the instruction manual is in English & Thai which is a plus