Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

not sure what that question is doing on this forum but,,,,,,,,, yes you can use the tee again, technically its called an air shot and it counts as one point , if the ball comes off the tee and you put it back and hit again it becomes your 3rd shot

Would you know what rule applies? I always thought it was kept on the tee but I can't seem to find the applicable ruling with USGA or R&A.

as long as the club you are using does not touch the ball you can have another swing to hit the ball

If the intent was to hit the ball and it was a miss I know it counts as a stroke but does that mean the ball is now in play? Could you then reach down and adjust the position of the ball or height of the tee before your next swing?

In some circles I do know you will either be buying a round of drinks or dropping your dick out for failing to make the ladies tees. But with most golf rules play it as you find it will keep you out of trouble. You can change clubs but pretty sure you can't re tee up. The R and A has a very good website with a PDF rule book you can download. www.randa.org should find it

If the intent was to hit the ball and it was a miss I know it counts as a stroke but does that mean the ball is now in play? Could you then reach down and adjust the position of the ball or height of the tee before your next swing?

If the ball is deemed in play then think what you would do if the ball was sitting on the fairway i.e. unless there is a local ruling on the course for that day (lift clean and place through the green) then if you touch the ball after an airshot you forfeit another shot.

example 1... you miss the ball off the tee. You have another attempt and then strike the ball. That is your second shot.

example 2... you miss the ball off the tee. You reach down, adjust the tee, replace the ball and then strike the ball. That is your third shot.

Edited by alexist
  • 1 month later...

Wow. Did someone challenge you on this?

I used to caddy but I've never heard such an obscure rulings question.

http://golf.about.com/cs/rulesofgolf/a/rfaq_whiff.htm

"As long as the player tries to hit the ball, it doesn't matter whether the player actually hits it or not. Intent is the key.

So when a player takes a swing with the intent of hitting the ball, it's a stroke even if the player whiffs."

But, if you're blind:

http://www.mabga.org/MABGA_golf_rules.htm

"Each blind golfer is allowed one whiff per shot (including sand trap shots) without penalty."

Or, maybe this happened:

http://www.golf.com/golf/instruction/artic...69572-0,00.html

"You make a stroke at the ball on the tee box but completely whiff. You address the ball again but accidentally knock it off the tee. You should:

1. Count one stroke for your whiff and one penalty stroke for moving your ball while it was in play and replace it.

2. Take a penalty for missing your tee shot, but replace your ball without penalty for accidentally knocking it off the tee.

3. Count one stroke for your whiff and one penalty stroke for moving your ball and play it as it lies."

And,

http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/books/rules/rule11.html

"11-3. Ball Falling off Tee

If a ball, when not in play, falls off a tee or is knocked off a tee by the player in addressing it, it may be re-teed, without penalty. However, if a stroke is made at the ball in these circumstances, whether the ball is moving or not, the stroke counts, but there is no penalty."

But, I think the answer is here:

usga.org

"13-1. General

The ball must be played as it lies, except as otherwise provided

in the Rules."

Whiff counts. Play the ball from tee, where it lies.

Thanks for the reply kaiser but that wasn't the question. If you swing and miss is the ball in play? Can you reach down and adjust the tee position before your next swing or is it just a penalty stroke for the intended swing but not in play yet?

fyi I was not the whiffer for this and there was no controversy as he just hung his head in shame and roped the next one down the middle but he was wondering if he was allowed to adjust the tee height before his second attempt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading the quiz you linked I see the ball is indeed inplay.

How would order of play work for this then since you took your turn? Leave the ball there on the tee until the other competitors tee off then take your second shot?

Thanks for the link

Edited by cmagrad
How would order of play work for this then since you took your turn? Leave the ball there on the tee until the other competitors tee off then take your second shot?

As the ball is in play then officially you have had your turn. However as your ball might be interfering with the next player on the tee you should ask permission to play out of turn. This will generally be given as most players don't like playing with a ball already teed up on the tee box.

The next player up on the teebox may even ask you to play your second shot.

Edited by alexist

I saw this happen in a 4 ball better ball comp. The first to tee off missed and then had another swing and hit it (about 10 metres). The other 3 were forced to take the second shot from the tee as they were deemed to have taken the first shot. They let him go last after that. Only in match play can you be forced to go in turn. The rest is just etiquette. But yeah, generally let him hit it and get off the tee box.