Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Government Handout

My TW tells me, all civil servants of Thailand, are to get a cheque for 2000 Bahts, at the end of next month, from their office of employment. Also all Thai citizens, whose salary is less than 10,000 bahts a month, are now to get likewise. Mai pen rai.Farang, we can dream.

This is true but I am under the impression that they have had to be tax payers or as you say civil servants...I also think that they had to register before a certain deadline that expired a couple of weeks back.

BTW, it is every month they get this money.

Edited by kolobos

And what a complete clusterfuck it was!

Forms had to be filled in, stamped and signed along with copies of ID and bank details and then HAND DELIVERED to the labour office in Chonburi.

1st day for collection was yesterday and it was chaos! Cheques missing, people queing for hours, no real system in place.

Why didn't they just transfer the money to the bank account? Why ask for bank details in the first place?

In terms of time and travel costs, it is hardly worth it. I was half tempted to just give my staff 2k each as it was less hassle! (But I'm too cheap for that!)

Kolo: Is it really a monthly payment? I was under the impression it was a one off?

Kolo: Is it really a monthly payment? I was under the impression it was a one off?

I wasn't too sure so got the wench to speak with motormouths missus who has signed up for it, and she says it's a monthly payment??? However, she is a burd and this is Thailand!

This is true but I am under the impression that they have had to be tax payers or as you say civil servants...I also think that they had to register before a certain deadline that expired a couple of weeks back.

I think they have to be registered as making social security payments ....... not a lot of good for the unemployed folks.

I don't think it's a monthly payment ........ the next one's not due until the next time the red-shirts decide to take to the streets. :banghead

The handout of cheques of 2,000 baht each began on Thursday. It was in the newspapers and everything. Example:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/14043/

It is a ONE OFF payment to members of the Social Security fund - basically meaning salaried or hourly employees, and civil servants earning under 15,000 baht a month.

Nine million people get the cheques.

You may be mixed up with a very separate jobs-training programme that began last Sunday, which will pay up to 4,800 baht a month during training and for three months afterward. There is no connection between the two.