Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Falang wants to Register Motorbike

I bought a motorbike and put it in my TGs name.

The sales slip has both of our names, but the insurance and the registration is in her name.

The guy at the dealership told me to go to Jomtien Immigration and get paper that says where my residence is and he can change to my name. He said I should have no problem.

I come and go from Thailand but spend about 4 months total per year.

I don't have a long term visa because I generally go back to the states after 3 or 4 weeks.

Anybody know if Immigration will actually give me this paper?

I have an international drivers license, Thai bank account and residence with Teelak.

I know it probably is a day-to-day answer, but wondering if anybody else has done this??

Last I heard, after 90 days, you can get your residence certificate. After you get the cert., you are also able to get your Thai drivers license, as well as registering vehicles to your name directly. But as you said, the rules are ever-changing here.

Im uncertain what the rules are (I always thought you needed Non Imm'O' for vehicle reg)

But if the guy in the dealership wants only the 'residence' letter from Jomtiem - go get one...they issue them for many reasons - such as opening a bank account - basically on request.

From memory its fill in the form, get copies (passport rental contract for where you stay etc) /photos leave it with then and call back for the letter a little later (& pay the fee).

Oh - & avoid lunchtime ;-)

Edited by Regyai
Im uncertain what the rules are (I always thought you needed Non Imm'O' for vehicle reg)

But if the guy in the dealership wants only the 'residence' letter from Jomtiem - go get one...they issue them for many reasons - such as opening a bank account - basically on request.

From memory its fill in the form, get copies (passport rental contract for where you stay etc) /photos leave it with then and call back for the letter a little later (& pay the fee).

Oh - & avoid lunchtime ;-)

Residence letter is easy-just show your tourist visa and the letter is available following day.Copies are available for 5b just outside on right.The girl that did mine last month was gorgeous-her office was on left hand side.

Edited by LTGTR

Funny that, I had to bring along my rental agreement to get a residence letter. Has it become easier?

The form does stipulate the reason for the letter, open bank account etc. when I got mine you had to show proof of residence:- house book if you own or lease if you rent. It may have changed. suggest you ask the question on www.thaivisa.com where there are some folks with up-to-date information.

The form does stipulate the reason for the letter, open bank account etc. when I got mine you had to show proof of residence:- house book if you own or lease if you rent. It may have changed. suggest you ask the question on www.thaivisa.com where there are some folks with up-to-date information.

Not all immigration offices will issue the "Certificate of Residency" and point you to your embassy. No great drama per se, drop off the application one day and pick up the letters the next (at the Brit Embassy). You just have to hope that the local transportation office is singing from the same songsheet. I took along the Embassy letter (in English), together with my rental agreement (in Thai) and they were happy with that.

Of course, the TG whose name the bike is in. will also have to agree to the transfer of ownership and provide her side of the documentation. :D

Of course, the TG whose name the bike is in. will also have to agree to the transfer of ownership and provide her side of the documentation. :D

Not to thread fuck this to death but that is the kind of thing I hope to avoid over there when I move. The extreme of this situation, of course, is buying a house in a Thai girl's name.

We foreigners, imho, should keep our finances, ownerships and personal business in our own names whenever possible, especially if we cannot afford to do otherwise.

Not to thread fuck this to death but that is the kind of thing I hope to avoid over there when I move. The extreme of this situation, of course, is buying a house in a Thai girl's name.

We foreigners, imho, should keep our finances, ownerships and personal business in our own names whenever possible, especially if we cannot afford to do otherwise.

Agreed and yes I do. Of course the house ownership is a bit of an exception, forcing us towards leases,company ownership or condos.

Your own bank account is a must.... do not ever make use of the GFs account because 'It is easier and I trust her'. Being lazy, and letting her shop for all the fixtures and fittings out of her account, might come back to haunt you one day.

How long before you feel trust.... a personal thing this, but anyone not counting in years is being reckless.

Thanks for all the info guys to those with solid info.

But some of you should calm down.

It is only a motorbike, I did not sign over my entire estate.

If she or I fuck-off in the meantime, it is not that big a deal.

If I didn't trust her to a certain degree, I would not have put it in her name in the first place.

Not every Thai girl is out to fuck you over.

skylar, maybe not today, tomorrow or next month, but next year?? thats a different story. good luck to you both.

Thanks for all the info guys to those with solid info.

But some of you should calm down.

It is only a motorbike, I did not sign over my entire estate.

If she or I fuck-off in the meantime, it is not that big a deal.

If I didn't trust her to a certain degree, I would not have put it in her name in the first place.

Not every Thai girl is out to fuck you over.

Good to know you are so rich that the loss of a motorbike is small potatoes. For some, that could be month's or half a year's living expenses if not more. What is a drop in the bucket to you could be a disaster for another.

There is a principle involved in protecting one's assets. You chose not to follow it. My point was rational and good advice for anyone, anywhere. The assets I have accumulated in my lifetime are mine. They should be managed by me. The property I buy with it should be in my name. Most guys here would say the way you handled the situation was incorrect. Live and learn.

If my future Thai gf or wife and I make income that is community property, so to speak, that is a different issue. That is half hers. If she is a rich Thai woman and we marry, I do not expect her to give me her money. If you buy something in another's name it should be a gift. You were in a rush to do something and put yourself in a situation most of us would rather not be in. I do hope it works out for you in this and every other male/female issue in your life but shit happens. I was married 30 years and got blind-sided. Fortunately I got half of our assets. I am wiser about protecting my future now.

Like I said, live and learn but certainly don't tell people with wisdom gained from experience to calm down.

:rolleyes: ?

Yeah, I will say it again, calm the fuck down chief.

If you are living for half a year on the cost of a motorbike, you might want to consider Sub-Sahara Africa.

Will be cheaper for you there.

Mine, mine, mine. You sound like a fucking seagull.

Give the guy a break, its a moto-cy - doubtless a twist-n-go step thru not a custom Harley

I have one of them myself in Pattaya...chained to a railing while I'm back in the UK....if its gone/nicked when I get back, well boo bloody hoo, Mityon here I come.

The ethos of 'theyre all out to get you' is all well and good - but driving y'self demented over trivia only leads to the sad cases you see in Pattaya - checking the change their GF returns out of a 50BHT note after a trip to the food cart with that suspicious all knowing glower.

Yeah, I will say it again, calm the fuck down chief.

If you are living for half a year on the cost of a motorbike, you might want to consider Sub-Sahara Africa.

Will be cheaper for you there.

Mine, mine, mine. You sound like a fucking seagull.

I did not say it is a problem for me, but you only read what you want to read. Then you flame people for sharing good advice. But of course you are a know-it-all with thousands of posts, sharing your great accumulated wisdom for many years.

You are headed for a disasterous fall at some point with a Thai lady.

Some people just have to learn the hard way.

:D

You are headed for a disasterous fall at some point with a Thai lady.

:D

Not necessarily

Im sure many (sane) people adopt the same principle I myself do which is to only put money into Thailand that ultimately you can walk away from.

Give the guy a break, its a moto-cy - doubtless a twist-n-go step thru not a custom Harley

I have one of them myself in Pattaya...chained to a railing while I'm back in the UK....if its gone/nicked when I get back, well boo bloody hoo, Mityon here I come.

The ethos of 'theyre all out to get you' is all well and good - but driving y'self demented over trivia only leads to the sad cases you see in Pattaya - checking the change their GF returns out of a 50BHT note after a trip to the food cart with that suspicious all knowing glower.

My point has nothing to do with they are all out to get you. Example:

I have one checking account where both of my children have power of attorney over that account. The purpose of the account is so that they can wire money I move into that account to my Thai account or so I can put money in the account for my daughter's educational and health care needs as required.

I trust my children but it would be wrong to give them exposure to all my liquid assets. If something were to befall me, the accounts are in the name of the living trust and my children are trustees.

I do not believe my children would rob me but even the bank (and my children and ex-wife) agree with this principle. It is not by accident that among the papers they signed were warnings of criminal prosecution if they were to withdraw some or all of the money in this account other than for some purpose authorized by me. The account will have minimum balance in it until I move money into it for some specific purpose.

Prudence. Personal responsibility. Personal control of my business. Minimal reliance on others to take care of personal business. It is not about mine, mine, mine as the OP wrote.

Now as to the OP, perhaps the moto-bike is a small thing to the OP. Once a person posts a topic it no longer belongs to that person and the comments and advice given are shared with the larer board community. Personally, I do not care what he does or doesn't do with his personal business. It is wrong, however, to expect that board members will not give their opinions, pro or con, on any subject posted here. To tell people to calm down for sharing their experience, wisdom or advice is naive at best. It is self-centered to believe a topic you start is just about you. It opens up doors others may wish to explore and share ideas about.

Edited by midlifecrisis

It's reasonable advice to be wary of who you trust, knowledge learned at many a Pattaya barstool.

I have seen some quite despicable behaviour, like a daughter (30+) drawing extra money from her mother's account while getting some for mom! A neighbour's live-in bringing a truck and heavies, and a bent policeman to clear his house, leaving it uninhabitable.

Having things in your own name makes sense in the event of a break-up.

These events are apt to happen suddenly.

Having to go crawling back to her to sell your car is inconvenient.

If it is her bike to use and keep, put it in her name by all means.

If you would rather keep it, put it in your own name like an adult.

Of if you don't care, why the hell ask in the first place.

Edited by jacko
It's reasonable advice to be wary of who you trust, knowledge learned at many a Pattaya barstool.

I have seen some quite despicable behaviour, like a daughter (30+) drawing extra money from her mother's account while getting some for mom! A neighbour's live-in bringing a truck and heavies, and a bent policeman to clear his house, leaving it uninhabitable.

Having things in your own name makes sense in the event of a break-up.

These events are apt to happen suddenly.

Having to go crawling back to her to sell your car is inconvenient.

If it is her bike to use and keep, put it in her name by all means.

If you would rather keep it, put it in your own name like an adult.

Of if you don't care, why the hell ask in the first place.

Thank you, Jacko!

I want to also add, if you post a topic, you have to be able to stand up to what comes and not be a baby about it.

Criticism comes with the territory here. It was not personal until the OP made it personal. Before that it was just discussion and grist for the mill.