Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Ahaar Indian Restaurant is located at the Second Rd. end of Soi Post Office. Lady Mangosteen and I first saw it from the back of a songtaew and, despite never having eaten Indian food before, she immediately started lobbying to go there. One evening, after a session at TQ1, we took a walk up there, and we were very pleased with the food. We have been back twice more this month, and another time Lady M. picked up a take-away from there.

Despite having loved the food myself, given that the boards sometimes have various Indian food snobs and connoisseurs, I hesitated to post a review despite the fact that I have loved the food each time. However, encouraged and emboldened by some positive comments from other posters, notably davethailand, I decided to post my review after all.

The restaurant itself is located on the second floor of the building. You enter at street level to find a small dining area and a stairway leading up to the main restaurant area. The restaurant itself is an open-plan affair with little in the way of decoration. The tables are arranged in long rows, sort of like "family-style" Italian restaurants I've been to in New York. BTW, the pics in this report were taken with my camera phone, so please excuse the mediocre quality.

Image044s.jpg

There was no music on when we arrived. There was a projection screen TV showing Indian Premiere League Cricket on, and they had the sound on in the dining room. I was perfectly happy with that.

Image021s.jpg

So was the cook, who was watching in between preparing orders. That didn't slow our order from coming out though.

Image046s.jpg

The Thai service staff is friendly, polite and helpful. Lady M., despite being unfamiliar with Indian food, is always quite successful in assembling an order of food she enjoys, thanks to the staff. Lady M. ordered Prawns Masala. I ordered Keema Samosas for us to start, Mutton Rogan Josh, Pulao Rice, and Garlic Nan.

Of course, the Papadums came out first, with the chutneys. The popadums themselves were crisp and golden brown in color with a nice toasted flavor. The chutneys tasted very fresh, with strong, fragrant spicing.

Image024s.jpg

Image025s.jpg

As soon as we were done with the papadums, the Keema Samosas arrived. These are pastry puffs (Samosas) stuffed with spiced minced lamb (the Keema). They arrived looking very tasty indeed!

Image031s.jpg

The Keema was nicely spiced without being overpowering.

Image032s.jpg

The Samosa pastry was flaky and flavorful, and complimented the flavor of the Keema filling perfectly. I particularly enjoyed the mint yoghurt chutney as a condiment, and the combination of the three produced a particularly lovely flavor combination.

We relaxed over this appetizer, enjoying it at our leisure. That is one thing I have particularly appreciated about this place: I never feel hurried or rushed. Again, my impression is that the staff cares about your overall experience of the restaurant, so they create a relaxed atmosphere for you to enjoy eating. They discreetly keep their distance, but arrive promptly if you want a refill of your drink.

A few minutes after the appetizers were removed, the mains arrived.

Image037s.jpg

L-R: Pulao Rice, Prawns Masala and Mutton Rogan Josh.

The Mutton Rogan Josh was VERY tasty. While not "hot" spicy, the gravy provided a symphony of lovely spice flavors to my palate, which, rather than individually competing for my attention, blended beautifully. Lady M. was quite amused by the fact that I kept closing my eyes to more enjoy the rich flavors.

The Prawns Masala was a good "strength" for masala, satisfyingly hot while letting the prawn flavor through clearly. The prawns tasted quite fresh, and had the slightly al dente texture of fresh seafood that hasn't been cooked to death. I appreciated the hints of cinnamon flavor, which really added complexity to the masala gravy. Again, it tasted great.

The Pulao Rice was a long-grain rice with a fairly dry consistancy. Again, the spices tasted fresh fresh fresh, and I was a little surprised at the strength of the spices (but pleasantly so). The rice complemented the other dishes perfectly.

The Garlic Nan was just wonderful. The bread itself was light with the right amount of "chewability". The garlic again tasted fresh, and was strong without being overblown.

Image038s.jpg

Turning the bread over shows that it is cooked to provide a nice balance between the moisture of the dough and the toasted flavor.

Image039s.jpg

As we relaxed after our meal (me with my third Kingfisher of the evening), I experienced that lovely feeling of well-being that you get when you've just had a great meal. I have had that same feeling every time I have eaten at Ahaar, and even the time Lady M. and I ate the take-away in our condo.

The owner of Ahar is Mr. Madan Mansharamani, a friendly and pleasant guy of around 45 I'd say. He has usually been around when we've been there, so I assume he's probably around most of the time. He said hello briefly as we were finishing our meal; remembering us, he enquired about my legs.

After the meal I chatted with him briefly. He explained that he imports all his spices from India, and also has an Indian chef. He said that his recipes are Northern Indian, same as the English curry houses, and many Brits tell him the food at Ahaar is just like what they are accustomed to. Interestingly, although he was born in India he lived for a long time in the Northeastern US, not far from where I live.

For those interested in the gory details, the meal, including 3 Kingfisher beers and a bottle of water for Lady M, came out to about 1400 baht. I thought that was a good price for what we got. And how much we enjoyed it.

BTW, Ahaar is available from Door 2 Door (not sure about the other services), and also has a take-away menu. They are open 7 days from 12 noon until 1:00AM, perfect for that late-night curry after a hard session.

Ahaar Indian Restaurant. Lady Mangosteen and I have enjoyed this place every time we have visited. Friendly staff, good food, good location, reasonable prices. Not a bad combination.

Good write up mate,will go check it out with the missus,if its authentic.Quite fancy a bit of vindaloo lol
Well, I don't classify myself as an expert, but I have eaten Indian food around the US, in England and in India. That being said, the best thing I can say for this place is that I always feel like I've eaten good food after a meal there.
Good review Bruce. The garlic naan is great there, but, as with most high quality Indian food in Pattaya, is expensive. I'm sure that Mr. Madan Mansharamani is happy he took early retirement from CitiBank when they merged with TIG. Another review, and the complete menu can be found here. Ahaar review
Thanks for that. Your review was 18 months earlier than mine, so I guess we can surmise that the quality is remaining high there. And, he mentioned that he was with Citibank when I talked to him; specifically he was an IT guy there which is how we got on the topic (me being a computer guy myself). Edited by Bruce Mangosteen

Thanks for the review Ray. I went there once with the GF. Unfortunately, we looked at the ground floor inside the entrance and decided it looked dirty and dingy and we bailed out. I'll give it another try when I get back in a couple of weeks. You still in town in early June?

I usually find that the indian restuarants in patts are very expensive if you want nan bread and the side dishes, I had a nice meal in that place on beach road last trip, set me back about 1500 baht

I usually find that the indian restuarants in patts are very expensive if you want nan bread and the side dishes, I had a nice meal in that place on beach road last trip, set me back about 1500 baht

I totally agree,have tried many and still dont understand why they are many times more expensive than an equivalent Thai restaurants.

Maybe its because the Indians who run them have been used to western sized earnings.

I have found one Indian eating place thats reasonable value,though not that authentic.That is the

RGP food court.Where a very nice chicken madras,naan and boiled rice costs about 160B.

I totally agree,have tried many and still dont understand why they are many times more expensive than an equivalent Thai restaurants...etc.
Why should Indian food in Thailand be as cheap as Thai food? Farang food is more expensive than Thai food too. It has to do with the amount and cost of the ingredients; especially considering of those ingredients are imported. I can't see why this is particularly hard to understand I'm afraid.

Farang food is only more expensive if the restaurant is farang owned,purely because they want to earn farang size money.

There are many Thai owned places that do farang food and its uaually around half the price.

I think similar is true with Indian food many of the owners have either been brought up in farang land or have lived there.So expect larger earnings.

Farang food is only more expensive if the restaurant is farang owned,purely because they want to earn farang size money.
It is certainly true that no farang wants to earn or live like a Thai person. However, in Pattaya (and the tourist areas) ALL prices are inflated over the rest of Thailand.

However, that is not the only reason. If you don't believe me, you should have a chat with a few farang business owners and ask them about how expensive it is to get the ingredients they want. Or, just take a walk through Villa Market.

There are many Thai owned places that do farang food and its uaually around half the price.
And IMO it doesn't hold a candle to the farang food in farang-owned places 99% of the time. I'd rather eat Thai food made by Thais than some bad imitation of farang food TBH. That's cheaper yet.

I think similar is true with Indian food many of the owners have either been brought up in farang land or have lived there.So expect larger earnings.
Well, maybe, although I don't know what you base this on. Unless of course it's a guess.

That being said, as I said, including 3 beers our tab for the entire meal came out to 1400 baht. I don't think that's too much for two people to pay for a delicious dinner of authentic Indian food; in fact I think it's quite reasonable. If you disagree, fine, you are entitled to your opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
However, that is not the only reason. If you don't believe me, you should have a chat with a few farang business owners and ask them about how expensive it is to get the ingredients they want. Or, just take a walk through Villa Market.

That being said, as I said, including 3 beers our tab for the entire meal came out to 1400 baht. I don't think that's too much for two people to pay for a delicious dinner of authentic Indian food; in fact I think it's quite reasonable. If you disagree, fine, you are entitled to your opinion.

Not sure I would quote Villa market as an example of food prices in LOS. Even the Market in Jomtiem or Pattaya Tai are over the top.

Indian restaurants do tend to be expensive in central Pattaya...... but I used to experience them in the Middle East, where for some reason the ingredients don't seem to be so expensive as to warrant the high prices. I actually think 1400 baht for 2 is over the odds, but I like to get the 2-300 baht change.