Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

New phone line and broadband

Does anyone have any up-to-date information regarding getting a phone line installed into a condo and also broadband?

I have read conflicting reports which say that True is best and others say TOT is best.

I own a condo in South Pattaya and the previous farang owner was with TOT but it was disconnected when he left a few years ago, so the cables are still there to a socket in the wall. Now that I am in a position (soon) to be in the condo much more I would like to connect to the internet at regular intervals, but NOT for heavy stuff such as movies or music. But it would need to be a reasonable enough speed to connect to servers in the UK.

Can an installation be done very quickly? I would like to be up and running as soon as possible after my arrival next month.

Are TOT or True the only real choices for landlines?

Would they include a broadband modem into the installation or would I need to get my own?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ok... I have to ask.

Where in the world (besides the TOT website) did you hear TOT is the best? I have GOT to see that post (and who posted it).

TOT is the only one you DO NOT want to consider. Not only is their internet the slowest in town, their customer service is terrible.

I know because I have them... and not by choice. I am renting right now, and the owner of the house installed TOT and I cannot get it un-done without a shitload of bother.

I am "in the know" about all things internet in Pattaya, however.... I have done a lot of research on the matter, and here is what I can say.

The most reliable service here by far is TT&T's MaxNet. They are also a large margin faster than TOT... TOT's max speed is 2mb/s, and TT&Ts is 4mb- but even their 2mb is a LOT faster than TOT's for international internet.

TRUE is a new company to Pattaya... They only started offering internet services recently, and only to a few areas of Pattaya currently. I have never used them, nor do I know anyone who has... but they are offering a 8mb/s package that looks very promising at 1299 baht per month. I plan on trying them out as soon as I can.

So... as of right now, I would highly recommend TT&T's MaxNet.

Now.. no matter who you go thru, you will need a modem. I highly suggest you go to TukCom and buy a ADSL2 Router, either Wired or Wireless as you prefer. If you let either company install their router, you will pay the exact same for it, but it will be a generic Thai brand router that doesnt work half the time. Get a LinkSys or NetGear (I have 2 linksys routers here in my house, one wired and one wireless and never have problems).

It takes about 2-3 days to get everything installed usually, but if you get lucky it can be the same day (if you go early) or the next day.

Hope this helps mate...

Frosty

I am "in the know" about all things internet in Pattaya, however.... I have done a lot of research on the matter, and here is what I can say.

The most reliable service here by far is TT&T's MaxNet. They are also a large margin faster than TOT... TOT's max speed is 2mb/s, and TT&Ts is 4mb- but even their 2mb is a LOT faster than TOT's for international internet.

TT&T Maxnet offers a 5Mb indy package for 1070 Baht a month. I think their minimum indy package is now 3 Mb.

Edited by CheshireTom
The most reliable service here by far is TT&T's MaxNet.

Wrong, whilst maxnet is not too bad, if you want bullet proof reliability you need to go CAT Cable, if their service does bork it self (hasn't yet for me in the 8 months ive been connected) they have a 24hr service number and a technician will, if he can, fix any issues on the spot.

Ok... I have to ask.

Where in the world (besides the TOT website) did you hear TOT is the best? I have GOT to see that post (and who posted it).

TOT is the only one you DO NOT want to consider. Not only is their internet the slowest in town, their customer service is terrible.

I know because I have them... and not by choice. I am renting right now, and the owner of the house installed TOT and I cannot get it un-done without a shitload of bother.

TRUE is a new company to Pattaya... They only started offering internet services recently, and only to a few areas of Pattaya currently. I have never used them, nor do I know anyone who has... but they are offering a 8mb/s package that looks very promising at 1299 baht per month. I plan on trying them out as soon as I can.

So... as of right now, I would highly recommend TT&T's MaxNet.

Now.. no matter who you go thru, you will need a modem. I highly suggest you go to TukCom and buy a ADSL2 Router, either Wired or Wireless as you prefer. If you let either company install their router, you will pay the exact same for it, but it will be a generic Thai brand router that doesnt work half the time. Get a LinkSys or NetGear (I have 2 linksys routers here in my house, one wired and one wireless and never have problems).

It takes about 2-3 days to get everything installed usually, but if you get lucky it can be the same day (if you go early) or the next day.

Hope this helps mate...

Frosty

Must admit it was not a quote on a forum it was from someone who lives in the outskirts of Pattaya. Maybe he has been brainwashed by TOT in that case.

However if TT&T look to be the best then that's the way I will go. Do you think there will be an installation charge, bearing in mind that the cables (from TOT) are already in place but not being currently used?

Do TT&T have an office in Pattaya where this can be arranged? I looked at their web site but it's mostly written in Thai even if you set the language to English.

Must admit it was not a quote on a forum it was from someone who lives in the outskirts of Pattaya. Maybe he has been brainwashed by TOT in that case.

There are places where only TOT is available.

You should ask your neighbours, actually, since location is part of what will determine what's best. In Bangkok, True is VERY popular and pretty good, but they are just now expanding up-country and it's too early for reliable reports. But they ARE a solid company, and constantly upgrading.

I agree you need to check the location, as some areas only have a single provider.

As to CAT, yes they are good... but very expensive and not worth the additional cost IMHO - even for me, and I rely on my Internet almost 24 hours a day.

If you want to talk to them, they have many offices... the one I have visited is on the 2nd floor of the Carforre (sp?) building on Pattaya Klang - its just up the escalator next to Dairy Queen (the escalator next to Dairy Queen, not the office lol).

Frosty

Bear in mind that TOT standard installation will only take he cable to the outside of your condo. So you need to ask the guy to join it to your existing cable. (you might want to bung em a tip for this).......but it will be cheaper than the 1000baht extra they normally ask for routing a cable to your room.

I agree with frosty tho....TOT is shit. Every time it downpours of rain i lose my connection (and this is normally when you want it most).

I’m with TT&T Maxnet 3MB and was recently upgraded to 4MB at no extra cost.

I pay 850 Baht per month Inc VAT.

You have to sign up for a minimum 12 months.

Once that’s done the installation will be carried out within seven days but for outside wiring I had to pay 300 baht.

The engineers came and installed the line and box to the post outside my home and that was all. You are responsible for the wiring from the box (outside) to wherever you want within your home.

I got the TT&T installation guy to do the wiring and modem set-up for which he charged me 700 Baht (an off- the-books job)

I find the service to be reliable.

You might have a problem as many Condos are subjected to a fixed line as decided by who-ever.

I know a guy like you who has a condo and he’s stuck with an ISP he doesn’t want as the service is crap but can do nothing as the building had it installed and until (if ever) they decide to change the ISP he’s stuck with their choice.

He was told that the condo management does not want unsightly wires running all over the exterior of the building so he’s stuck.

It seems as though the condo management "recommend" TOT.

I am not in Pattaya at the moment so I can't check this first hand.

But lets say I have to have a TOT phone line, can I then have internet from any company I choose?

It seems as though the condo management "recommend" TOT.

I am not in Pattaya at the moment so I can't check this first hand.

But lets say I have to have a TOT phone line, can I then have internet from any company I choose?

Nope :(

If its a TOT line, you are stuck with TOT... unless you can and do have another carrier bring their line in to the building. Like is mentioned above, that would depend a lot on the condo... they may not allow that. Will have to ask them.

Frosty

Nope :(

If its a TOT line, you are stuck with TOT... unless you can and do have another carrier bring their line in to the building. Like is mentioned above, that would depend a lot on the condo... they may not allow that. Will have to ask them.

Frosty

That's what I thought, but checking my bills today, I have TOT phone service, but use TTT-Maxnet for my ADSL service. Apparently it's not bundled with the phone service carrier.

That's what I thought, but checking my bills today, I have TOT phone service, but use TTT-Maxnet for my ADSL service. Apparently it's not bundled with the phone service carrier.
SURE......? I always thought I had a TOT phone line, as that is who the bill appeared to come from. But when I checked into it, they said it was a TT&T number....

I have heard back from my girlfriend and she has said that the condo reception have said

"2,500 Baht to install, and then 1,000 Baht each month after that, to have internet. Oh and can install the very same day."

She doesn't know anything else right now such as what company that is with, or the speed of the internet package, etc.

Seems a bit steep to install the line as the wiring is already there. Anyway do these prices look about right?

I have heard back from my girlfriend and she has said that the condo reception have said

"2,500 Baht to install, and then 1,000 Baht each month after that, to have internet. Oh and can install the very same day."

She doesn't know anything else right now such as what company that is with, or the speed of the internet package, etc.

Seems a bit steep to install the line as the wiring is already there. Anyway do these prices look about right?

Installation normally means connecting the provider's line to the box outside your home (TT&T and TOT don't necessarilly share the same external line). 1k Baht (+7% tax) would get you TT&T's 5mb package. What speed you can actually achieve is an altogether different matter.

Edited by CheshireTom
SURE......? I always thought I had a TOT phone line, as that is who the bill appeared to come from. But when I checked into it, they said it was a TT&T number....

Jacko good to see you back. Your absence without signing out first caused a slight concern that you were okay.

Yes. TOT sends out most telephone bills in Thailand for fixed-line phones. (I think it's "all" phone bills actually but never say "never" eh?). The other companies that offer landlines, True and TTT, are operating as concessions, and TOT is a monopoly that skims their money from the bill payment and forwards the rest.

You can ONLY have DSL service through the company that actually gives you the phone line. In Pattaya, this is usually TT&T these days, but for older lines will be TOT. If you want the (new) True DSL service, you'll have to get a True phone line.

But the thing is, check for YOUR phone. Companies do cross deals for various reasons, and True may be able to do a deal that puts their DSL on a TTT line, say, and True may be able to handle the necessary TT&T paperwork - for an example. You may also find the biggest problem is your landlord.

Edited by joekicker
Jacko good to see you back. Your absence without signing out first caused a slight concern that you were okay.

Yes. TOT sends out most telephone bills in Thailand for fixed-line phones. (I think it's "all" phone bills actually but never say "never" eh?). The other companies that offer landlines, True and TTT, are operating as concessions, and TOT is a monopoly that skims their money from the bill payment and forwards the rest.

You can ONLY have DSL service through the company that actually gives you the phone line. In Pattaya, this is usually TT&T these days, but for older lines will be TOT. If you want the (new) True DSL service, you'll have to get a True phone line.

But the thing is, check for YOUR phone. Companies do cross deals for various reasons, and True may be able to do a deal that puts their DSL on a TTT line, say, and True may be able to handle the necessary TT&T paperwork - for an example. You may also find the biggest problem is your landlord.

It did,...... sorry about that. I had mentioned it in a conversation with Rick.....

Trip to the UK..... just to confirm why I prefer LOS!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add to this that I got internet installed. It was extremely quickly and only took 1 hour from start to finish as the condo building is already wired-up in the corridors.

The office here told me it is TT&T and Maxnet (I take it is Maxnet, as she sounded like saying 'Magnet'!).

It does seem expensive though at 1,000 Baht per month but they have a captive audience here as it seems to be the only option you get. You buy a package for a fixed period only, such as 1 week, 1 month, etc. so there is no ongoing costs if you are not here for a while or do not need it.

Forgot to mention that the condo office tells me that it is a 1MB link.

That's why I think the 1,000 Baht a month is a bit steep. That's dearer than the UK.

Just wanted to add to this that I got internet installed. It was extremely quickly and only took 1 hour from start to finish as the condo building is already wired-up in the corridors.

The office here told me it is TT&T and Maxnet (I take it is Maxnet, as she sounded like saying 'Magnet'!).

It does seem expensive though at 1,000 Baht per month but they have a captive audience here as it seems to be the only option you get. You buy a package for a fixed period only, such as 1 week, 1 month, etc. so there is no ongoing costs if you are not here for a while or do not need it.

My Maxnet is about 850 baht/month for 4M/0.5 (yeah right, me and the 20 others sharing it!), but I pay additional for the telephone separately

Since you can skip months when not using it, that is a good deal..

Edited by jacko
My Maxnet is about 850 baht/month for 4M/0.5 (yeah right, me and the 20 others sharing it!), but I pay additional for the telephone separately

Since you can skip months when not using it, that is a good deal..

Jacko,

Have you suffered a degradation in the international service on Maxnet the last month or so?

Jacko,

Have you suffered a degradation in the international service on Maxnet the last month or so?

Glad you asked. Opportunity to bitch.

It has turned to shit, and is frustrating particularly in the late afternoons and evenings.

Often just unuseable in the evening.

This has been going on for 3-4 weeks.

I have tried switching DNS but it is still bad.

My neighbours on Maxnet are also complaining, I was told by one they were expanding the network locally.

There may also be some filtering/ logging being implemented.

When I visited the office, I got the standard crap response. They take your number for a tech to call you back....which NEVER happens!

Edited by jacko