Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Not just a flight of fancy

Emirates brings the new jumbo to town. Bangkok Post, Tuesday 2 June 2009.

a380700.jpg

Edited by joekicker

Thanks for the warning. It must also take ages to get everyone boarded. I have been thinking of using a different airline as a few folk have got jailed for legal meds and one guy had stood on a tiny bit of hash, possibly in Amsterdam where he boarded, and got jailed at Dubai when they found it stuck to the sole of his shoe.

Emirates upgrade me regularly to biz class and they give you a fast track immigration card that you take to a few hidden desks BETWEEN the east and west regular halls.

No ques and no waiting.

Emirates upgrade me regularly to biz class and they give you a fast track immigration card that you take to a few hidden desks BETWEEN the east and west regular halls.

No ques and no waiting.

I thought they just had two entrances (from concourse C/D and concourse E/F/G) to the same line of immigration desks and baggage claim area. It's not like Don Muang where there were two separate halls.

• 1 month later...

I am flying in on that flight Sat 12 sept;

Hope they have sorted all there problems out;

I am not a fan of Emirates but i got my tickets at good price;

I would not fly with emirates if it were free.

emirates is national airline of dubai.

dubai is a dictatorship of the worst kind.

dubai city was and still is being built by slaves from southern asia while the rest of the world turns a blind eye.

• Downvote 1

dubai city was and still is being built by slaves from southern asia while the rest of the world turns a blind eye.

They're as much slaves as the Isaan girls you chose to shag while the world turns a blind eye. Financially disadvantaged - yes, but not slaves.

• Upvote 1

Pity that, you have just chopped out 3 pretty good airlines with that approach.

And a couple of crap but cheap ones.

The Indians/Pakistanis I worked with in Abu Dhabi were all quite pleased to be working there!

But that was a UK company, I will admit that some of the other outfits treated their guys badly.

They're as much slaves as the Isaan girls you chose to shag while the world turns a blind eye. Financially disadvantaged - yes, but not slaves.

From a friend who lives in the Middle East:

"Slaves in the fact they are made to work 12 to 14 hours a day, for minimal wages (if they are lucky), with no legal rights. The concept is so far removed from what we understand in the west, unless you actually see it, its difficult to explain.

It also happens in Indian, and other Asian countries. In fact, to be honest, its only when you have worked in one of these countries, do you really realize how lucky we are in the west."

Edited by Scalawag
From a friend who lives in the Middle East:

"Slaves in the fact they are made to work 12 to 14 hours a day, for minimal wages (if they are lucky), with no legal rights. The concept is so far removed from what we understand in the west, unless you actually see it, its difficult to explain.

It also happens in Indian, and other Asian countries. In fact, to be honest, its only when you have worked in one of these countries, do you really realize how lucky we are in the west."

I actually came to Thailand via a stint in the Middle East so it wouldn't be at all difficult to explain to me. They work there because the "minimal wages" far exceed what they could make back home; just like your Isaan girls in Pattaya. As for working 12-14 hours a day; pretty much in line with your average BG who is "lucky" enough to get barfined.

I don't confiscate the girl's passport when i engage her services, i pay her what we agree and i treat her like a princess.

Are you suggesting that there is no truth in Johann Hari's report

The dark side of Dubai

Edited by dontcha

I think you have a huge blind spot, not at all unusual, though. It has many names from slavery to the very PC human trafficking, but it goes on EVERYWHERE. And if it's not going on in your small town, drive over to the next one to see it.

And I absolutely reject that most/nearly all the gals in the western-oriented Pattaya bars are any example at all. But the sex industry in Thailand has lots and lots of examples, especially the foreign (Chinese, Lao, even Thai-citizen hilltribe as well as many "real" Thai) girls. Probably not in Pattaya but (as I say) just take a ride down the road and see the room and house maids, the fishermen, the shirt-makers, the brothel girls.... and their kids.

And that's in Thailand. No matter where you are in this globalised world, the indentured worker and the close-to-slave and the HORRIBLY treated workers can quite easily be found. Unless you think it's only in those other countries, not this one, then you won't find any except in those (fill in the stereotype) countries.

Edited by joekicker
  • Upvote 1
I don't confiscate the girl's passport when i engage her services, i pay her what we agree and i treat her like a princess.

The dark side of Dubai

It's a bit of a long article so you're going to have to be a bit more specific. Of course, if you're looking to educate me on the plight of construction workers in the Middle East you'll have to take a close look at some of the companies that employ them. Being from Ireland, many of them will be familiar to you.

As an aside, whether paying someone 15 quid to shag them quite equates to treating them like a princess is another discussion entirely. :rolleyes:

It's a bit of a long article so you're going to have to be a bit more specific. Of course, if you're looking to educate me on the plight of construction workers in the Middle East you'll have to take a close look at some of the companies that employ them. Being from Ireland, many of them will be familiar to you.

As an aside, whether paying someone 15 quid to shag them quite equates to treating them like a princess is another discussion entirely. :rolleyes:

You are a LDOP :rolleyes:

Far from it. Tomorrow lunchtime I'll be surrounded by a couple of thousand 18-22 year-old TGs, none of whom would dream of asking for payment. How about you? :rolleyes:

I usually pay in baht and not quids(whatever quids are)

I always pay the girl substantially more than the average Thai daily wage for her time and she is very happy with that. ... i do my best to ensure that she has a good time

If the girls thought badly of me they would not be sending me texts telling me that they miss me and love me and wait for my return.

You really should read that article so that you get an insight into the way slavery is tolerated in Dubai.

I don't condone what some Irish property developers and construction companies have done in Dubai, infact I abhor it.

The same property developers have enslaved the Irish taxpayers for a generation to come.

• Upvote 1

I usually pay in baht and not quids(whatever quids are)

I always pay the girl substantially more than the average Thai daily wage for her time ............

That's the same basic argument used by the construction companies.

You really should read that article so that you get an insight into the way slavery is tolerated in Dubai.

I started to read it and it was about some woman living in a Range Rover. :unsure: I lived in Qatar before coming to LOS and witnessed loads of the Gulf building projects first hand.

I don't condone what some Irish property developers and construction companies have done in Dubai, infact I abhor it.

It's the construction companies that exploit the workers.

That's the same basic argument used by the construction companies.

I started to read it and it was about some woman living in a Range Rover. :rolleyes: I lived in Qatar before coming to LOS and witnessed loads of the Gulf building projects first hand.

It's the construction companies that exploit the workers.

Read more of it Tom, it is much more about the woman that lived beyond her means residing in a range rover.

some quotes for you :unsure:

I start to talk to two sun-dried women in their sixties who have been getting gently sozzled since midday. "You stay here for The Lifestyle," they say, telling me to take a seat and order some more drinks. All the expats talk about The Lifestyle, but when you ask what it is, they become vague. Ann Wark tries to summarise it: "Here, you go out every night. You'd never do that back home. You see people all the time. It's great. You have lots of free time. You have maids and staff so you don't have to do all that stuff. You party!"

They have been in Dubai for 20 years, and they are happy to explain how the city works. "You've got a hierarchy, haven't you?" Ann says. "It's the Emiratis at the top, then I'd say the British and other Westerners. Then I suppose it's the Filipinos, because they've got a bit more brains than the Indians. Then at the bottom you've got the Indians and all them lot."

As soon as he arrived at Dubai airport, his passport was taken from him by his construction company. He has not seen it since. He was told brusquely that from now on he would be working 14-hour days in the desert heat – where western tourists are advised not to stay outside for even five minutes in summer, when it hits 55 degrees – for 500 dirhams a month (£90), less than a quarter of the wage he was promised. If you don't like it, the company told him, go home. "But how can I go home? You have my passport, and I have no money for the ticket," he said. "Well, then you'd better get to work," they replied.

Sahinal was in a panic. His family back home – his son, daughter, wife and parents – were waiting for money, excited that their boy had finally made it. But he was going to have to work for more than two years just to pay for the cost of getting here – and all to earn less than he did in Bangladesh.

He shows me his room. It is a tiny, poky, concrete cell with triple-decker bunk-beds, where he lives with 11 other men. All his belongings are piled onto his bunk: three shirts, a spare pair of trousers, and a cellphone. The room stinks, because the lavatories in the corner of the camp – holes in the ground – are backed up with excrement and clouds of black flies. There is no air conditioning or fans, so the heat is "unbearable. You cannot sleep. All you do is sweat and scratch all night." At the height of summer, people sleep on the floor, on the roof, anywhere where they can pray for a moment of breeze.

The water delivered to the camp in huge white containers isn't properly desalinated: it tastes of salt. "It makes us sick, but we have nothing else to drink," he says.

The work is "the worst in the world," he says. "You have to carry 50kg bricks and blocks of cement in the worst heat imaginable ... This heat – it is like nothing else. You sweat so much you can't pee, not for days or weeks. It's like all the liquid comes out through your skin and you stink. You become dizzy and sick but you aren't allowed to stop, except for an hour in the afternoon. You know if you drop anything or slip, you could die. If you take time off sick, your wages are docked, and you are trapped here even longer."

The dark side of Dubai

My passport was always held by the company when I worked in Saud Arabia.

As I travelled within the Kingdom without a permanent base it seemed convenient.

I did meet and talk to some guys (Bangladeshies) who were treated quite badly. No salary for months and unable to do anything.

They were scared to report what happened to them, but there were plenty of laws in place to protect them.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the warning. It must also take ages to get everyone boarded. I have been thinking of using a different airline as a few folk have got jailed for legal meds and one guy had stood on a tiny bit of hash, possibly in Amsterdam where he boarded, and got jailed at Dubai when they found it stuck to the sole of his shoe.

Like most but not all, am obviously aware of the medication issues on travelling through the Emirates, but I constantly wonder was sort of legal representation these jailed guys had ??

I take Tramadol and Codeine and others, strictly on the banned list but am prescribed like many other travellers......Do these people have any legal assistance or in reality do they indeed get banged up with no legal help ??

Edited by chatkeow