Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Air-Con or Electric Shower

My air-con unit (a Mitsubishi Electric Mr Slim unit) is not as cold as it should be and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good place or person in Pattaya who can service this unit? Or even what it would roughly cost?

Also I have just had a brand new electric shower unit fitted by the on-site condo engineer. But it keeps "overloading" as he calls it and has to keep on being reset to work. I think he doesn't know what he is doing as I have called him in 4 times but it still keeps on "overloading".

I took the cover off myself to look and it appears it is not even earthed. So same question really, does anyone know or recommend a good engineer in Pattaya who can fix showers 'properly'? And how much it might cost?

I have come across this before where many Thai engineers do not earth things even if the cable is there (and it is there in this case). But it's overloading for some reason and I don't know why.

Many thanks for any input.

My air-con unit (a Mitsubishi Electric Mr Slim unit) is not as cold as it should be and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good place or person in Pattaya who can service this unit? Or even what it would roughly cost?

Also I have just had a brand new electric shower unit fitted by the on-site condo engineer. But it keeps "overloading" as he calls it and has to keep on being reset to work. I think he doesn't know what he is doing as I have called him in 4 times but it still keeps on "overloading".

I took the cover off myself to look and it appears it is not even earthed. So same question really, does anyone know or recommend a good engineer in Pattaya who can fix showers 'properly'? And how much it might cost?

I have come across this before where many Thai engineers do not earth things even if the cable is there (and it is there in this case). But it's overloading for some reason and I don't know why.

This guy came and serviced my AC units,

Suchard Airservice

Tel 01 (8) 3046851

03 (8) 0138005.

It was a while back, the namecard seems to be missing the standard "8" and I don't think he spoke much English.

It only cost me about 2400 baht for 2 units, with a recharge for one, which I suspect is your problem.

The shower unit. Which breaker is overloading? If it is one back in your breaker box, not on the unit, check it's capacity.

EG, a 3.3KW shower unit, would require 3300/220= 15 amps, hence use a 20 amp breaker!

This also presumes that the shower has a dedicated breaker. (Not feeding other things in the condo)

I have come across many showers fed from undersized breakers, or the shower units themselves are of a high power rating. If the water is particularly cold, it will need that power.

If it is an Earth Leakage type that is tripping, well things get complicated. But there is often an adjuster for delay and leakage current that could be tweaked.

Also there is normally an earth leakage breaker fitted in the shower control itself. If that is popping while you shower, something is strange!

A shower should be grounded, but many Thai systems do not have an integral ground (2-wire)...

Also many Thai 'technicians' aren't particularly knowledeable. But they sure like to talk themselves up.

Just get an electrician, sorry I can't recommend, I check things like that myself, (don't trust them here... :bigsmile:)

Edited by jacko

Watch out for cabling issues with an upgraded shower, particularly if multipoint. I just put in a 10kw multi in the house and ran 25mm wire from the electric in the street to the meter and 16mm from the meter to the heater. I seperately grounded the heater but in a condo, you'd have to check how to ground it. Is there a central grounding rod type of thing ?

If it trips out and you are resetting it from the shower unit then the problem is not with your breaker. I'd also suggest installing a Safe-T-cut if you don't already have one to deal with the power.

Aircon servicing is in the Bt500 or so range but worth getting someone who really knows their stuff and paying a bit more IMHO.

Big Boss air systems will service your air for you. Sorry dont have the number to hand but if your stuck i can search for it.

The Mr slim is a good high end model and probably just needs the gas topped up (although you may have a leak somewhere). What they will do is top it up and take a pressure reading then pop back in a few days and take another reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to report that the Air Con has been fixed.

My girlfriend came up with a number from somewhere (don't know where) and they came out the same day.

Did an excellent job, topped up the gas, and now it's nice and cold.

As to the shower in the end we went back to the shop where we brought the shower as got fed up with the condo engineer not knowing his job. The shop engineer came out and fixed the problem, something to do with the part where the water comes into the shower (don't ask me) so now it's finally working after an entire month of "Isssan type of showers" (cold).

He also earthed it.