Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Hi Gents,

Would like to hear peoples experiences with dental implants. Do they look real? Do they feel real?

Any problems? Are you happy with the results?, Did you have them done at home or Thailand, etc.

Thanks for any input. Cheers.

Hi Gents,

Would like to hear peoples experiences with dental implants. Do they look real? Do they feel real?

Any problems? Are you happy with the results?, Did you have them done at home or Thailand, etc.

Thanks for any input. Cheers.

Have had one for 20 plus years and am very happy with it in that I didn't want a bridge. Looking real is the cap part, not the implant, and yes, properly made caps do look real if they get the fit and shade correct. I'd say the biggest problem with caps is the color. Caps, to my knowledge/experience will not change color, while your real teeth will. And remember that the implant will take about 6 months to fully bond to the bone, so you'll not get a permenent cap for quite a while.

My only drawback is that the the gum has receded due to bone loss, so more of the cap shows than I'd like. Didn't have it done in LOS, but would definitely consider getting other implants if needed, and would recommend them to others if needed. Would I do it in LOS? I'll just say I'd want the best surgeon I could find......

Be cautious......

An acquaintance is undergoing some painful and unpleasant dental work now due to an implant that didn't take due to insufficient underlying bone or a poor bond.

Some practitioners don't think past the money they are making.

Edited by jacko

Would like to hear peoples experiences with dental implants. Yes. Do they look real? Yes. Do they feel real? Yes.

Any problems? No. Are you happy with the results? Yes. , Did you have them done at home Yes or Thailand No , etc.

Turned out that the price in Thailand was almost as high once I factor in dental insurance.

With that in mind I wouldn't ruin even a single day of vacation.

Even though the serious discomfort should be no more than 24 hours, the wound is exposed for many days.

So be careful what you lick, if you know what I mean.

Another thing to consider when having a major medical procedure is that there is always the chance of complications.

Once at home you have no one who will do "warranty work".

Do compare all facets before setting out to save (perhaps) a small amount of money.

I am certainly not opposed to dental work in LOS.

I once had emergency periodontics work.

My dentist at home gave the result relative high marks.

My own brother is due for having all his plugs in his mouth removed.

I have recommended a 3 months "vacation" in LOS.

My girl just got back from the dentist,she had 2 implants and she says it feels fine.

She went to Siam smile on Pattaya Klang.

How much did they cost?

I had 3 implants "installed" in Bumrungrad Hospital 2 years ago. Not too much cheaper than in USA but I saved enought money for the air ticket and a nice holiday. I am VERY happy with the implants. They fell much stronger than a normal tooth. I wish I did this years ago instead of having bridge work. I hope you have same good luck as I have had.

I have just been to a Dentist here in Patts and have been told I need 3 crowns.

Prices are 8000, 10000, 12000 or 15000 depending on which type of finish I choose.

I opted for the 8000 one which is supposedly just metallic appearance.

Does 24000 Baht seem ok re price?

Never had a crown fitted before and this is the first quote. Are the cheapest ones as good as the others apart from appearance?

Prices are 8000, 10000, 12000 or 15000 depending on which type of finish I choose.

Never had a crown fitted before and this is the first quote. Are the cheapest ones as good as the others apart from appearance?

If it is for a molar, I'd opt for a higher price crown, as I took the 8,000 Baht and it only lasted 1 year

Hot topic. :D

I have the same situation. I need one implant, it's a molar.

What's the best place to get it done?

If I get one step done in LOS and one step done in the US? What is the best route to go? Or would it make sense to fly back and get both steps done in LOS? (I only come once a year for a month or so, but, I could be seduced into a second trip :) ...)

Thanks in advance for any info that might be helpful.

Pap, a truly good dentist will not let you put the cheap ones in your mouth. Take that for what it's worth to you, as well as: 'they're your teeth, don't skimp'.

Didn't they show you samples of each type?

I doubt they are of metallic appearance, like the guy Jaws from the bond film.

Had one done for about 8000 a year back and it looked like porcelain.

If it is for a molar, I'd opt for a higher price crown, as I took the 8,000 Baht and it only lasted 1 year

Pap, a truly good dentist will not let you put the cheap ones in your mouth. Take that for what it's worth to you, as well as: 'they're your teeth, don't skimp'.

Didn't they show you samples of each type?

I doubt they are of metallic appearance, like the guy Jaws from the bond film.

Had one done for about 8000 a year back and it looked like porcelain.

She just explained the process about grinding the molar down and then sending something to Bangkok where the crown gets made (taking 5 days) and then its stuck onto what's left of the tooth. I think that was the jist of it but might have misunderstood.

She said the 8000 one was metallic in appearance. The 10000 one was porcelain coloured. Cant remember the 12000 one. The 15000 one has gold in it to make the porcelain look whiter or something like that.

I said I wasnt concerned about the appearance as I'm an ugly cunt anyway plus the fact that they are at the back of my mouth where they are hard to see.

I dont want them if they're only going to last for a year. Bit pointless really.

Whats the advantage of porcelain looking ones over the metallic ones? Apart from cosmetic?

remember as they age they can crack and the spike they put in your jaw can come loose.. don't tell me it cannot cuz i had both happen to me after the "teeth" where in my mouth for about 5 years.

if those prices are with a root canal then you got a heck of a deal compared to what i paid in usa...

cost me at least $1000 and that was with insurance "paying" for 50% of it...

Whats the advantage of porcelain looking ones over the metallic ones? Apart from cosmetic?

Porcelain should have a metal inlay which is the best one to get, those will last years

I did the 12,000 Baht since it was a molar and the results have been very good

When the replacement (crown) is put on, it will feel very tight and abnormal. But this feeling goes away within 5 mins and the results are fantastic

Add laser whitening for another 8,000 Baht and the results are outstanding

Edited by Greg_B
She just explained the process about grinding the molar down and then sending something to Bangkok where the crown gets made (taking 5 days) and then its stuck onto what's left of the tooth. I think that was the jist of it but might have misunderstood.

You understood correctly. They grind the tooth so the cap can fit over it. They then take an impression of your teeth and make a casting of it so they can make and fit the cap to the teeth next to it, and to the tooth/teeth it will contact when you bite. If they don't take the "bite" impression they will have to do a decent amount of grinding on the cap to 'fit' the bite, though they almost always have to do some anyway.

All my caps are porcelain and have gold in them, it's not that much more for the gold, and I have never had a cap crack/break/whatever. Not saying it doesn't happen, and maybe I've been lucky, but I have at least 6 caps and have had 3 of them for over 15 years.

You might not care about how they look, but think for a second about which teeth do the most work in your mouth. If you come up with: Molar, you sir are correct.

iv had a Porcelain one with gold backing in the top front tooth for 30 years now and the only problem im noticing latley is were the rest of my teeth have worn with time the crown is still the same as the day i had it so it looks a little odd.

Be cautious......

An acquaintance is undergoing some painful and unpleasant dental work now due to an implant that didn't take due to insufficient underlying bone or a poor bond.

Some practitioners don't think past the money they are making.

Exactly......make SURE you get a review by a competent expert in dental implants to confirm the bone in your jaw is sufficient to support the implant post.

I was told by a Pattaya dentist...."sure sure you have ok bone for implant"

Horse pucky!!!!

The implant post came loose within a day. Even with eating only noodles.

This was confirmed by a USA dentist who told me flat out...."I would never have recommended implants for you, there is just not sufficient bone to support the posts"

Porcelain should have a metal inlay which is the best one to get, those will last years

I did the 12,000 Baht since it was a molar and the results have been very good

When the replacement (crown) is put on, it will feel very tight and abnormal. But this feeling goes away within 5 mins and the results are fantastic

Add laser whitening for another 8,000 Baht and the results are outstanding

That's a very helpful piece of advice considering our recentt history. Thank you :allright

Now should I get the work done before or after you smack me in the mouth? :allright

You understood correctly. They grind the tooth so the cap can fit over it. They then take an impression of your teeth and make a casting of it so they can make and fit the cap to the teeth next to it, and to the tooth/teeth it will contact when you bite. If they don't take the "bite" impression they will have to do a decent amount of grinding on the cap to 'fit' the bite, though they almost always have to do some anyway.

All my caps are porcelain and have gold in them, it's not that much more for the gold, and I have never had a cap crack/break/whatever. Not saying it doesn't happen, and maybe I've been lucky, but I have at least 6 caps and have had 3 of them for over 15 years.

You might not care about how they look, but think for a second about which teeth do the most work in your mouth. If you come up with: Molar, you sir are correct.

Ok, I think I will opt for the 12000 versions, metal with porcelain cover.

Not bothered about the gold as it seems to be purely for cosmetic enhancement.

Will consider the laser whitening when I get back from Phills. 8000 Baht or 8 trips to soi6. Tough decision :D

She said the 8000 one was metallic in appearance. The 10000 one was porcelain coloured. Cant remember the 12000 one. The 15000 one has gold in it to make the porcelain look whiter or something like that.

I said I wasnt concerned about the appearance as I'm an ugly cunt anyway plus the fact that they are at the back of my mouth where they are hard to see.

I dont want them if they're only going to last for a year. Bit pointless really.

Paps,

My recent experience. I had the crowns on the same molar break twice. The last was just a week before my trip to Pattaya this month. My dentist was on vacation so I went to see another. He told me that because I had had a root canal on that tooth, the underlying tooth was dead and weaker. He patched it so I could travel but told me either to get an all metal crown or a porcelin crown with metal underlay in the future for structural support. I have a gold crown on one molar. Nobody can see it really, even when I smile. If it was in front I would go all for cosmetic appearance but in the back where the teeth do the most work, I think function is more important than cosmetics.

As to the price, those prices are so far below the cost here, even with insurance (which may not cover this tooth so soon after it was already replaced) that I may wait until I live in Pattaya next year.

I am curious of names and addresses of good dentists!

A little Birdie I know in the Philippines has told me her Dentist will fit me 3 Crowns for 20000 Peso.

20000 Peso is @ 14100 Baht

Almost a third of the cost.

So I will see what the Dentist is like in Phills before I get the work done in Patts :clueless

A little Birdie I know in the Philippines has told me her Dentist will fit me 3 Crowns for 20000 Peso.

So I will see what the Dentist is like in Phills before I get the work done in Patts :devil

Check with her how long they will take to be fabricated. In Los it can be 5-7 days, any longer than that might not fit in with the flights, warranting a pricey ticket change.

So I will see what the Dentist is like in Phills before I get the work done in Patts :devil

you will get what you pay for there. I helped a little birdie there with dental work too. Bigger problems later. Be cheap or get good care?

I am planning to get an implant and was told by the dentist that if sufficient bone was unavailable that they would do a bone graft from a rib. Sounded logical. Haven't had time to begin the process due to working in the sand pit.

Edited by bangsaenguy
Check with her how long they will take to be fabricated. In Los it can be 5-7 days, any longer than that might not fit in with the flights, warranting a pricey ticket change.

Not a problem as I might stay in S.E.A. until next year.

you will get what you pay for there. I helped a little birdie there with dental work too. Bigger problems later. Be cheap or get good care?

The Dentists may actually be better in Phils.

Lower price does not necessarily mean lower quality after considering economic disparity.