Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Changes to security departing BKK

No, it meant I was after security and was entering passport/ immigration checks. :rolleyes:

As other passengers are coming through security checks, you need to pick up your belongings and sort of move out of the way instead of standing there at the end of the belt dressing. More intelligent behaviour is expected of one in Fast Track. The immigration check is nearby and one's hands are occupied. I only have the two. Thankfully, now at Bangkok, you only have to go through a single security check. The moving walkway you are confusing is likely the belt you are supposed to put your bag and belt on. No wonder the security for economy class is slow.

I meant to type immigration. I still don't see why your having a problem with your belt and passport. I had to have my passport out when I went thru security, then placed it in my pocket, picked up my belongings, got out of the way and then replaced my belt. When in the states I also have to put my shoes back on and it's no problem. If it's really that big of a problem for you then you might want to use the other security for us economy class folks. I departed BKK on the 19th of Oct and from the sounds of it I had less problems than you and I doubt that you got through any faster than me if at all. Enterance to the immigration area is right next to the United check in, not a single traveler in the immigration area nor when I went through security. And no I'm not confussing the moving walkway with the belt. Unless your on a moving walkway or are being dragged along by an airport official I don't see why you can't put your belt on before moving along to the immigration counter. You have me confussed, prior to the recent change didn't you have to go thru a single security check. I know that the number of security checks for me hasn't changed.

On an earlier post you said that the new setup was quicker to pass thru security. That may be true for those traveling in business or first class as it appears these travelers now have a dedicated security check area. But for the others, time will tell when it comes to high season whether fewer security stations will cause any backup, at this time it's only speculation.

Edited by Emil
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant to type immigration. I still don't see why your having a problem with your belt and passport. I had to have my passport out when I went thru security, then placed it in my pocket, picked up my belongings, got out of the way and then replaced my belt. When in the states I also have to put my shoes back on and it's no problem. If it's really that big of a problem for you then you might want to use the other security for us economy class folks. I departed BKK on the 19th of Oct and from the sounds of it I had less problems than you and I doubt that you got through any faster than me if at all. Enterance to the immigration area is right next to the United check in, not a single traveler in the immigration area nor when I went through security. And no I'm not confussing the moving walkway with the belt. Unless your on a moving walkway or are being dragged along by an airport official I don't see why you can't put your belt on before moving along to the immigration counter. You have me confussed, prior to the recent change didn't you have to go thru a single security check. I know that the number of security checks for me hasn't changed.

On an earlier post you said that the new setup was quicker to pass thru security. That may be true for those traveling in business or first class as it appears these travelers now have a dedicated security check area. But for the others, time will tell when it comes to high season whether fewer security stations will cause any backup, at this time it's only speculation.

What else did you mean to type?

No thanks, I like Fast Track. And I am in no doubt that I got through faster than I would at the other check points. That was the problem you see, no queue at immigration unlike slow-track, and me hardly dressed yet and not wanting to keep the guy waiting!

And let me explain, you are in a smaller area, between security and immigration. On the slow track, you have plenty time to put your passport away as you queue, for security. And when clear of security you have plenty of space in the main body of the airport to arrange yourself. It is different you see, is it clearer now? Perhaps that is a design flaw in Fast Track? But still much much faster, I could see the low season queues at immigration (they needed to staff some of those empty kiosks)...

In Fast track security do not ask for the passport, immigration do that. So unlike you I do not keep my passport in my hand, they didn't used to like that at security, objects in your hand.

Strange you finding removing belts, shoes, etc as no problem. I had to do it at a UK provincial airport and felt it most inconvenient, not a problem though, I can still tie laces.

You are truly fortunate to travel with United, with convenient departure times and few other passengers around.

Prior to the changes I am sure I went through multiple security checks, there were those at the entrance to each gate wing... don't you remember them? They have gone now..... for me.

So far, outside of high season, many have commented that security is easier now. But it seems likely, that fewer checks means fewer delays. I know for sure at LHR, that more checks meant increased delays.

What does confussed mean, is it like concussed?

Edited by jacko
Prior to the changes I am sure I went through multiple security checks, there were those at the entrance to each gate wing... don't you remember them? They have gone now..... for me.

So far, outside of high season, many have commented that security is easier now. But it seems likely, that fewer checks means fewer delays.

I have never gone thru multiple security checks (with the exception of what United requires at the gate). Yes there were multiple check points throughout the terminal but I only went through the one where my gate was located. Maybe if one experienced a gate change after arriving at their designated gate and had to move to another gate area then you would have to pass through another security check. This was my routine when flying with United: Pass thru immigration, turn left after entering the main lobby, walk all the way to the intersection with the other gates, go down escalator, go to Thai Air lounge, leave lounge and head to my gate area while staying on this lower level (D-2 gate), prior to reaching the D gates go thru security (this was my first security check), then walk a short distance to my gate.

A very painless process. Do you by chance have high blood pressure?

Edited by Emil
I have never gone thru multiple security checks (with the exception of what United requires at the gate). Yes there were multiple check points throughout the terminal but I only went through the one where my gate was located. Maybe if one experienced a gate change after arriving at their designated gate and had to move to another gate area then you would have to pass through another security check. This was my routine when flying with United: Pass thru immigration, turn left after entering the main lobby, walk all the way to the intersection with the other gates, go down escalator, go to Thai Air lounge, leave lounge and head to my gate area while staying on this lower level (D-2 gate), prior to reaching the D gates go thru security (this was my first security check), then walk a short distance to my gate.

A very painless process. Do you by chance have high blood pressure?

You contradict yourself above, either you have, or you have not gone through multiple checks.

The checks at Bangkok were located at the wing entrances on the main level, never at the gates themselves, with I guess the exception of United (apparently..I have never used them ex-BKK) who implemented an extra one.

Do you by any chance have Alzheimers? 1luv

You contradict yourself above, either you have, or you have not gone through multiple checks.

The checks at Bangkok were located at the wing entrances on the main level, never at the gates themselves, with I guess the exception of United (apparently..I have never used them ex-BKK) who implemented an extra one.

Do you by any chance have Alzheimers? :allright

Are you drinking prior to posting? When I say the security checks were at the gate areas it means that the security check points were at the "C" gate area, "D" gate area, etc. A security check at each of the group of gates with the exception of the "D" gates where they had one for those using gates 1-4 and the other for the other "D" gates. These security checks for the group of gates could be accessed through the main level and also the level just below. I went through one security check for the "D" 1-4 gates. Now please explain how you went through more than one security check prior to the new change over.

Are you drinking prior to posting? When I say the security checks were at the gate areas it means that the security check points were at the "C" gate area, "D" gate area, etc. A security check at each of the group of gates with the exception of the "D" gates where they had one for those using gates 1-4 and the other for the other "D" gates. These security checks for the group of gates could be accessed through the main level and also the level just below. I went through one security check for the "D" 1-4 gates. Now please explain how you went through more than one security check prior to the new change over.
If you don't type what you mean, how do you expect me to know what you mean?

My suitcase was X-rayed before check-in.

If you don't type what you mean, how do you expect me to know what you mean?

My suitcase was X-rayed before check-in.

If you can't read that's not my problem. I typed in my routine that my first security check was just prior to reaching the "D" gates. Never had my suitcase x-rayed before check in at the new airport, they did it at the old airport. I repeat again, no change to the number of security checks for me at the new airport since it opened under the old system and the new system which began in Sep. I assumed that you knew that under the old system that they had security checks at each group of gates, it looks like I gave you too much credit.

I must admit that this last time was the quickest I had passed thru immigration, it must have been because all those flying in business and first class were using the Fast Track and not clogging up the area. You know, the ones that have difficulty walking and carrying a passport/boarding pass in their hand.

If you can't read that's not my problem. I typed in my routine that my first security check was just prior to reaching the "D" gates. Never had my suitcase x-rayed before check in at the new airport, they did it at the old airport. I repeat again, no change to the number of security checks for me at the new airport since it opened under the old system and the new system which began in Sep. I assumed that you knew that under the old system that they had security checks at each group of gates, it looks like I gave you too much credit.

I must admit that this last time was the quickest I had passed thru immigration, it must have been because all those flying in business and first class were using the Fast Track and not clogging up the area. You know, the ones that have difficulty walking and carrying a passport/boarding pass in their hand.

So it is better now then, glad you eventually agreed to that.
So it is better now then, glad you eventually agreed to that.

Well the immigration process was quicker without the uncordinated travelers in the area to slow the process. The security process for me was the same as before, very quick. Only time will tell if it stays that way when and if high season arrives. Unless they add more x-ray scanners to the current system, I can't see how they can process travelers through the system as fast as they did before now that they have fewer x-ray machines.

Also, we've only been discussing the speed it takes to pass through security and not whether the new process provides better security. So far Joe is the only one to provide any info about the improvement to security and it came from the security company who provides security. Which stated that the process was better now because they didn't have enough qualified workers before. All that means is that they didn't provide adequate training or that the Thais are not smart enough to learn. It doesn't mean that having the security checks further away from the gates and consolidated into fewer areas is better for security.

Edited by Emil

I've no real interest in the security aspect of it. If terrorists wanted to bomb a plane at the airport they would find a way, no matter what system was in situ.

I am, however, interested to know if I can now take fluids into the airline departure lounge (beyond the airline departure gate).

I will be flying either Qatar or Emirates...anyone any info?

I've no real interest in the security aspect of it. If terrorists wanted to bomb a plane at the airport they would find a way, no matter what system was in situ.

I am, however, interested to know if I can now take fluids into the airline departure lounge (beyond the airline departure gate).

I will be flying either Qatar or Emirates...anyone any info?

When I flew Qatar out I think I got access to the Thai Airways lounge... plenty of fluids there! :banana

Once you have passed through Central Security Search you can now purchase fluids, both alcoholic and soft , which you can now take on to the aircraft, but, you cannot take fluids through Central Security Search apart from in containers no larger than 100ml and secured in a resealable clear plastic bag blah blah blah. Swampy finally caught upwith most other airports.