Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Retirement in Pattya & Your Experiences

I am currently on holiday here in Pattaya until Saturday.

I have always considering retiring here - possibly in the near future. I would to happy to buy some beers and hear about some the ExPats folks' experience regarding retiring to Pattaya over a beer or other libations.

I would like to discuss how do you stay busy, cost of living, health insurance and how you made the decision to finally pull the plug and make the move to the LOS, etc.

If anyone would be good enough to give me their insight, I would be happy to buy some drinks. Please private message me if you would good enough to join me for drinks or else provide a response to this post on your general thoughts on staying busy, budgeting, health care and making the decision to move.

Thanks,

Hawkster

Hawkster - Sent you a private message but not sure it went thru. Please let me know if it didn't.

Gerry

Geryy, are you an ex-pat then? I am moving there next year and would be happy to make your aquaintance and buy you a drink or two in January when I come for two weeks. I have a few unresolved questions, especially regarding finding housing.

I have no experiance of retirement in Pattaya ,but do have experiance of living in Issan Khon Kaen.

I do beleive if you want to settle down with Lady ,Pattaya is not the place due to many reasons.

If you have a budget of about 80000/90000 bhts month you can have great life in LOS compare to back home.

Of course you can get by living in LOS on 40000 bhts month ,most falang teachers here only get 30000 bhts month wage.

But if you want quality of life same as if you was living back home with many holidays use the higher number.

Think hard where you want to live in LOS ,if you are single person visit many places in Thailand and talk to many people before making up your mind where you want to live.

If you dont live in Pattaya you can always have many holidays there as transport here is so cheap to travel

If you ever come to Khon Kaen ,I would be up for a beer and a chat

I have no experiance of retirement in Pattaya ,but do have experiance of living in Issan Khon Kaen.

I do beleive if you want to settle down with Lady ,Pattaya is not the place due to many reasons.

If you have a budget of about 80000/90000 bhts month you can have great life in LOS compare to back home.

Of course you can get by living in LOS on 40000 bhts month ,most falang teachers here only get 30000 bhts month wage.

But if you want quality of life same as if you was living back home with many holidays use the higher number.

Think hard where you want to live in LOS ,if you are single person visit many places in Thailand and talk to many people before making up your mind where you want to live.

If you dont live in Pattaya you can always have many holidays there as transport here is so cheap to travel

If you ever come to Khon Kaen ,I would be up for a beer and a chat

Although I agree with you in the long term, Pattaya is a logical place to begin retirement in Thailand for many, including myself.

Midlifecrisis - I am working into retirement in Pattaya (Jomtien) slowly, so I don't have much experience in Pattaya itself. I've travelled to Thailand many other times and always loved it. I did a 3 month trip last winter to Pattaya only, worked out great. Heading back Oct. 9th for 6 months to set things up (banking, drivers licence & long term condo rental) and make sure I still like it. After that I'll clean up some business in Canada then head back to Patts and pursue a retirement visa. I will be here in January and would like to go out for a few beers and share experiences about Pattaya and the joy of retirement.

Hi everybody,

I have been in Pattaya for nearly 6 years and had gf for 5 so it can be done very well.Many many places to go without girly beer bars and gogo bars,as my gf isnt a beer monster.Pattaya/Jomtien is ideal to start with but my problem is that i have so many thai and farang friends i feel very comfortable with my life now and wouldnt dream of living in Issan at the moment,as my brain and body too young lol.

Pattaya is the centre of many things and good for visa runs,immigration,plenty of expats to care of you or help you out in the early years of retiring here.Feel free to pm me or a meet up maybe,but i dont know everything but nearly everything lol.

Happy retirement,this could be the best thing you ever did,and i once described retiring here as a roller coaster to paradise,and if you get the right lady then total paradise.

Midlifecrisis - I am working into retirement in Pattaya (Jomtien) slowly, so I don't have much experience in Pattaya itself. I've travelled to Thailand many other times and always loved it. I did a 3 month trip last winter to Pattaya only, worked out great. Heading back Oct. 9th for 6 months to set things up (banking, drivers licence & long term condo rental) and make sure I still like it. After that I'll clean up some business in Canada then head back to Patts and pursue a retirement visa. I will be here in January and would like to go out for a few beers and share experiences about Pattaya and the joy of retirement.

I am there the second half of January so hope to meet you.

I'll PM you guys after I get set up in Jomtien in October. Talking to longterm expats just accelerates my learning curve, to me experience talks.

Midlifecrises please PM me in mid January and we'll down a few beers. (did you recieve my PM or did I screw it up?)

I am currently on holiday here in Pattaya until Saturday.

I have always considering retiring here - possibly in the near future. I would to happy to buy some beers and hear about some the ExPats folks' experience regarding retiring to Pattaya over a beer or other libations.

I would like to discuss how do you stay busy, cost of living, health insurance and how you made the decision to finally pull the plug and make the move to the LOS, etc.

If anyone would be good enough to give me their insight, I would be happy to buy some drinks. Please private message me if you would good enough to join me for drinks or else provide a response to this post on your general thoughts on staying busy, budgeting, health care and making the decision to move.

Thanks,

Hawkster

hi will you buy or rent a condo or house? i am 41 and living in england i bought a condo due for completion early next year i will be looking for a long term tenant if you are interested ! i will buy a few over the up coming years if you are interested or want to upgrade !

I'll PM you guys after I get set up in Jomtien in October. Talking to longterm expats just accelerates my learning curve, to me experience talks.

Midlifecrises please PM me in mid January and we'll down a few beers. (did you recieve my PM or did I screw it up?)

nothing in my box

Gerry,

I received your PM - very good information.

Thanks,

Hawkster

Hawkster - Sent you a private message but not sure it went thru. Please let me know if it didn't.

Gerry