Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Jomtien Apartments/Studios for 6 month stay

I am moving to Pattaya on 1 Nov and will be staying for 6 months, so I am looking for somewhere to rent. Members on another Board recommend Majestic Condominium, Soi Watboon, Jomtien Beach, and Baan Suan Lalana on Chaiyapreuk Road. Does anybody know if these places are quiet, and/or can you recommend anywhere else to try?

I am looking for somewhere at or under 10,000 Baht per month. Thanks.

I am moving to Pattaya on 1 Nov and will be staying for 6 months, so I am looking for somewhere to rent. Members on another Board recommend Majestic Condominium, Soi Watboon, Jomtien Beach, and Baan Suan Lalana on Chaiyapreuk Road. Does anybody know if these places are quiet, and/or can you recommend anywhere else to try?

I am looking for somewhere at or under 10,000 Baht per month. Thanks.

I would recommend Baan Suan Lalana on Chaiyapreuk Road. It IS quiet, has excellent gated security, a spotlessly well maintained grounds as well as several large swimming pools and a mini mart and restuarant. I loved it there and still have the condo. It is leased to a friend of mine. There are small gyms and a couple pay per hour tennis courts. If you go to the mini mart, they should be able to help you with information.

Jomtien Beach Condominium. Excellent management. Peaceful. On Beach Road hence direct access to baht buses. Two swimming pools. 2 Fitness centres. Many shops and restaurants. Decent community. You should be able to find a condo in the front blocks (S1 and S2) for under 10,000 a month.

• 3 months later...

Sorry, I forgot!

I looked at a number of condos around Jomtien, including the ones mentioned. I had no transport of my own at the time, and they both seemed a bit far out. I was also told that the Majestic was full of unsavoury characters, though whether that is true or not, I have no idea.

I ended up in View Talay 2B in a 42 sq metre condo on the front of the building with sea views. It's quiet, now that the fireworks have stopped and only 10 Baht on the 'bus if I want a night out on Walking Street. It is fully furnished, with a shower room as opposed to a bathroom, and I am very happy to be here. I am paying 13,000 Baht a month, plus water and electricity. My electric bill for the the last month when I had a friend staying who wanted the air-con on every night came to 1,000 Baht. The water cost 180 Baht for the same period. I paid a deposit of one months rent when I moved in.

I bought a second hand Nuovo to get around on, and I think my landlady will store it for me when I go back to the UK this summer. If not, I'll be on here begging a space in somebody's garage!

I was very very money-conscious when I moved here in November, but now I know what my main expenses are, I have relaxed a lot. It's only been 3 months, and there's always a chance I might change my mind, but for now at least I am 99% certain I will end up living here permanently.

Having got the bike, it would be no bother to live a bit further off the bus routes, and Buan S L seems like a very peaceful place to live.

Edited by m62man

Glad to hear thing are working out for you. I know there have been other threads about living expenses, but would you give an example of your monthly living expenses? I'm considering trying to retire there but am not sure my 2K (USD) would be enough.

My living expenses since I moved here in November average out at around £1,000 per month......to be precise, I have withdrawn £3130.00 from my Nationwide Account since I arrived here on 7th November. That figure includes everything except the purchase of a motorbike, which I withdrew from a different account. It cost 45,000 Baht, if you want to add that into your own calculations. (Sorry, but you will have to do your own conversion into USD!)

I also took a trip to Penang to visit a pal (and do my Visa run) and paid for the air ticket on Mastercard, which was £180, or a bit less I think. The amount I have withdrawn from Nationwide also includes a deposit of 13,000 Rent in advance.

I was very conservative when I arrived here and didn't even go to Walking Street for two weeks, which may seem to some people like I should just have stayed at home! But I was walking around all day looking at apartments and various condos and by nightfall all I wanted to do was have a meal and go to sleep. I also tried to stick exclusively to a Thai diet, but my craving for English breakfasts and peppered steaks soon got the better of me.

I am more relaxed about things now, and although I am writing down everything I spend, I haven't sorted everything into exactly what gets spent on what.

However, to give you some idea, my rent is 13,000 Baht per month, electricity is around 1,000 Baht per month, and water 180 Baht per month.

I don't have medical or any other insurance, although that is something I will be sorting out soon.

The rest goes on eating, drinking, and shagging. There seems little point in dividing it up much more than that. Everyone has their own appetites!

I tend to go to Darkside daytime bars because of the relaxed atmosphere rather than to save money. The cost of drinks and short-time is not substantially less than you would pay on Soi 6, and certainly wouldn't cover the expense of buying the bike. It just suits me to be able to get out and about when I want.

I eat about half my meals in cheap off-mainstreet Thai restaurants, and the other half in not-quite-so-cheap Thai restaurants that also do European food. You get to know where the best places are from other ex-pats who have been here for a while.....it's a bit like finding out which pubs the pensioners eat at in the UK...they suss out where is good value, and you just follow them!

I stay in about three nights a week. I didn't set out to do that, it's just the way things have turned out. I sit on my balcony and read, while drinking Sang Som (200 Baht a bottle from Big C) and coke. I think it is worthwhile finding somewhere comfortable to live so that you can do that.

I go to the cinema occasionally, and to Walking Street at least once a week. There are some good go-gos where the draft beer is only 45 Baht, although I always get mugged for some lady drinks sooner or later, and these nights out can turn out to be expensive.

I have got to the stage where I am comfortable living here and don't worry too much about what I am spending. I don't feel to be missing out on anything, and if I go mad and stay out 'til 3.00am like I did last week, spending 2500 Baht on drinks and 1,000 Baht for a girl, I know it won't make too big a dent in my finances overall. I don't want to do it every night anyway. I think that's the main difference between living here and just coming for a holiday. It will all still be here tomorrow, and the next day. No need to rush!

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. I will help as much as I can.

Very good data.

1000 pounds a month and then detail. Very good. Could you add just a bit about how much of a drinker you are? And how many girls a week. Not how much you spend but how many beers a night. That sort of thing. You can drink and grab women however much you like. I think it might be useful to know how much of that defines the 1000 pounds a month lifestyle.

And one trip out of country in that six month period. Also very good data defining the lifestyle of 1000 pounds a month.

Thanks.

Hi Owen,

Hope you are well.

As to my lifestyle, I very rarely drink during the day. If I go to a Darkside bar, it is usually during the day when I am on my bike so I will usually just have a coke pre-shag, and one Sang Som and coke while I enjoy the after-glow. That's another thing about going out there, the girls always sit with you for a bit of a kiss and a cuddle afterwards. It's very pleasant.

When I go out at night, I either walk to a bar in Jomtien or catch a bus into town. I'm not a big drinker and on most nights out I will spend less than 500 Baht. That includes lady drinks. I don't buy a lot, and certainly not in every bar I visit. Just for girls who seem genuinely happy to chat for a while and have at least enough English to have a bit of a conversation.

I don't really keep track of how many beers I drink, and when I start to feel full, I go on to Sang Som and coke, which costs more or less the same. So, about 500 Baht three times a week.

I've had 14 girls in the last month. They were all short-time apart from one, who stole my aftershave, the bitch! And yes, it was a girl, I'm sure!

Stole your aftershave? Did you call the UK embassy? This is an act of war! :D
I recall that the Polish housemaids in the hotel used mine liberally....... didn't help much... 1luv

How much for food? Each month I am spending 14,000 Baht on accomodation, including electricity, and around 14,000 Baht on girls, although that figure includes the bar-fine for the Darkside bars (it's not a bar-fine in the sense that you are taking the girl out of the bar, but is paid to the bar to keep the room clean...they must wash the sheets at least once a month!) . I think the last 30 days was a bit unusual and I probably don't have that many girls on a regular basis. I surprised myself a bit when I counted up!

Plus, I spend around 6,000 Baht on nights out drinking in bars. So that's 34,000 Baht so far. I am drawing out £1,000 each month, which converts into just over 51,500 Baht at todays rate......so, I must be spending 17,500 Baht on food, and stuff. I say stuff, because there's laundry and shampoo and petrol for the bike, and other odds and ends.

A bit more detail for those of you who are interested...

I am sure it's as cheap to eat out as to eat in, even if you eat Thai food. I've had Thai women say as much to me...they can't buy the ingredients for the same price as a meal.

I don't cook much at all - just boil some eggs now and then to make egg mayonnaise. I also don't use the air-con, and am happy taking cold showers. It's not just to save money.The cold water is from a tank on the roof and isn't that cold anyway. I find it refreshing.

I buy oranges and bananas from markets and have them with cereal and yoghurt for breakfast most days. I make sandwiches sometimes for lunch. Ham is expensive, but I like a ham sandwich now and then. Sometimes I will have a tin of tuna and make myself a salad.

I brought a big box of tea bags from England, so they are "free".

I save a bit on laundry by hand-washing anything that doesn't need ironing, except towels which are too big to go in the sink. I fill up my 5 litre water bottles from a dispenser they have here for 5 Baht a go. Much cheaper than buying new bottles every time.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but as I said before, I am more than happy to answer any questions.

How much for food?

I am sure it's as cheap to eat out as to eat in, even if you eat Thai food. I've had Thai women say as much to me...they can't buy the ingredients for the same price as a meal.

Don't fall for that line...... :D

Actually when you settle down and build up a stock of condiments and whatever it can be somewhat cheaper and better.

Markets on the other side of Sukhumvit are cheaper and my TGF whizzes off on the little bike each day we eat in, 250 baht covers a good meal and maybe the purchase of fresh fruit for breakfast and tangerines for a glass of juice....

Trouble is you need to get a live-in, then other costs raise their head. :rolleyes:

How much for food? Each month I am spending 14,000 Baht on accomodation, including electricity, and around 14,000 Baht on girls, although that figure includes the bar-fine for the Darkside bars (it's not a bar-fine in the sense that you are taking the girl out of the bar, but is paid to the bar to keep the room clean...they must wash the sheets at least once a month!) . I think the last 30 days was a bit unusual and I probably don't have that many girls on a regular basis. I surprised myself a bit when I counted up!

Plus, I spend around 6,000 Baht on nights out drinking in bars. So that's 34,000 Baht so far. I am drawing out £1,000 each month, which converts into just over 51,500 Baht at todays rate......so, I must be spending 17,500 Baht on food, and stuff. I say stuff, because there's laundry and shampoo and petrol for the bike, and other odds and ends.

A bit more detail for those of you who are interested...

I don't cook much at all - just boil some eggs now and then to make egg mayonnaise. I also don't use the air-con, and am happy taking cold showers. It's not just to save money.The cold water is from a tank on the roof and isn't that cold anyway. I find it refreshing.

I buy oranges and bananas from markets and have them with cereal and yoghurt for breakfast most days. I make sandwiches sometimes for lunch. Ham is expensive, but I like a ham sandwich now and then. Sometimes I will have a tin of tuna and make myself a salad.

I brought a big box of tea bags from England, so they are "free".

I save a bit on laundry by hand-washing anything that doesn't need ironing, except towels which are too big to go in the sink. I fill up my 5 litre water bottles from a dispenser they have here for 5 Baht a go. Much cheaper than buying new bottles every time.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but as I said before, I am more than happy to answer any questions.

Thanks.

I also prefer to eat out. Means I can stay at a GH, and not bother with a place that has cooking facilities, and I dont like markets. Supermarkets and shopping centres only. So there wouldnt be much saving, if any, for home cooking. Same in the UK. I eat my main meal out. Not much difference in cost.

, 250 baht covers a good meal and maybe the purchase of fresh fruit for breakfast and tangerines for a glass of juice....

250 BAHT :banghead Thats not a saving, surely. Unless your eating venison :allright

Continued excellent data.

The problem with discussion like this on this board is that far too often it turns into "I don't do that, I do this! I do that!" And then there's argument about what the poster should or should not be doing and criticism of what makes him comfortable and it's more or less insane.

This is an excellent presentation of what a 1000 pounds per month lifestyle looks like in Jomtien and it's valuable. I'll bet somewhere along the way someone is going to have an idea of how some specific something can be found cheaper elsewhere. That doesn't criticize a choice. That saves money, which is pretty much always a good thing.

Let's also not forget there is no amortizing the visa cost or health care in this presentation, yet.

Edited by Owen`
Thanks.

I also prefer to eat out. Means I can stay at a GH, and not bother with a place that has cooking facilities, and I dont like markets. Supermarkets and shopping centres only. So there wouldnt be much saving, if any, for home cooking. Same in the UK. I eat my main meal out. Not much difference in cost.

250 BAHT :yikes: Thats not a saving, surely. Unless your eating venison :D

Some days less, maybe 140-160. We have normally 2 dishes and rice. The meat is somewhat better than a lot of Thai restaurants too, for example the laab moo won't have bits of bone, skin, nose, ears and intestine....and whatever... :rolleyes:

But you have a point, for 135 baht you can get aa plate of roast chicken, mash and vegatables that taste of nothing in 'The Seasider.'.

My gal does a mean plate of ribs...

Edited by jacko
  • 6 months later...

I like your writing style M62. I am in the business, so consider it a compliment!

Your discussion of costs has been level headed and informative and, while it is useful, I'd like to touch a bit on time.

That's right, time. How does it go? I will explain why I am asking.

I have thought often of settling in Pattaya/elsewhere in Thailand, or at least spending several months at a time. Other than the question of money - I am obviously not part of the idle rich group - what worries me is how to use up my time.

Everyone has his or her own answer to that question, but sometimes it helps to learn what a level headed person does. I have seen expats in many countries who turn to drink - I was once next to an American expat in a plane returning from Manila, and he informed me that he'd had 50-odd beers the previous day, and hence needed to take it easy on the plane.

In Pattaya too - and it is obvious from comments on this board - alcohol is an important part of many people's lives, sometimes the most important part.

So, although whether I turn into a drunk or not is up to me, I would like to know how you spend your days. You state that you do not drink a whole lot, so you won't be spending too much time in a stupor, so how do you get through the day? Reading? Walking? Dreaming?

What you do may not be my answer, or anyone else's, but I'd like to know, if you don't mind.

Edited by Trvlr

This is probably a longer-winded reply than you were expecting, but I have time on my hands here in the UK! I came back in May and apart from five weeks touring in France and Spain on my motorbike I have been at home.

The 6 months I spent in Pattaya were an experiment, not only to see whether I could afford to live there, but also to see whether I could establish a social life outside of the bar scene. When I went to Pattaya in November 2009 I already knew that I couldn't live for 6 months like a holiday-maker; not only because I couldn't afford the £100.00 + per day I spent when I was on holiday, but also because I knew that I wouldn't want to live that style of life all the time.

So, to the question about how I spent my time. It took a while to establish friendships but I did have a structure to my life which I think is important. After three or four months I ended up with a routine which consisted of meeting a group of guys to play squash at The Ambassador three evenings a week, supper with a couple of friends in an Arab restaurant one night a week, a few beers with another pal in Jomtien once a week, bowling once a week, and sailing once every two or three weeks. I also had my trips out of Thailand every 90 days for my visa runs.

I swam almost every morning before breakfast and then would read a bit while having a coffee on the balcony of my condo. I always have two or three books on the go at any one time, and usually once a week I would visit a few second-hand book shops to find books. I correspond with friends and family, and up to lunch time I would be doing e-mails or reading posts on this and one or two other forums.

I took my bike out most days, either finding my way around the Darkside, or going further afield. I enjoy motorcycling and I know there is a club that organises trips out of Bangkok. If anybody knows of anything similar in Pattaya, I would be interested to hear about that.

On the evenings when I didn't have something arranged and I wanted to go out, I would go. There are some interesting people in Pattaya, and it is very easy to get into conversation with them. I don't know whether it's the Thai influence or not, but 99% of the people you meet are in a good mood and have time to chat. If you are sitting in the corner with nobody to talk to then it's probably down to you. But the worst that could happen on one of those nights is that before long you will have a Thai chick trying to get into your pants!

One thing I didn't do during my 6 months was watch tv - I was never that short of things to do!

I will be back in Pattaya on the 1st September and intend to stay for at least 12 months. I intend to enroll at a language school and make a proper effort to learn Thai, and I am also going to take my motorbike test rather than relying on my International Licence. That's two extra things to do on top of what I did last time.

The contrast between my life here in the UK and my life in Pattaya has convinced me that Pattaya is where I want to be. My life in the UK is extremely boring by comparison. The friends I have in Pattaya mostly have wives or long-term girlfriends, but they are in charge of their lives in a way that men in the UK are not. In Pattaya, if somebody suggests meeting up for a game of pool, or to go bowling, then a decision is made on the spot and everybody turns up. In England, they all have to "check the calendar", which is a euphemism for "ask the wife". It is absolutely hopeless.

I would suggest that anyone should try it for 6 months, if you can do that without burning your bridges. There are lots of things to do apart from sitting in bars, and if my own experience is anything to go by you would have a warm welcome whatever you want to try, whether it's golf, crown green bowling, bridge, tennis......you name it. Obviously it takes a while to establish friendships and you have to make a bit of an effort, but within my six months in Thailand I had as many friends as I have after donkeys’ years in the UK. The friendships aren’t as deep or well-established, because that takes time, but that is something that will come with time.

Edited by m62man