Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Billabong hotel soi LK Metro CC prepayment?

I am trying to book a room at the Billabong on sio LK Metro. They are requiring a 10% deposit up front. I have no problem with this. But they want me to email them my CC details. Have any of you done this at the Billabong? I am very hesitant to send my CC details in an email. Just wondering if any of you have done this and what your results have been.

It’s only about 40 bucks. I am more concerned about my CC info. than the money. Is the best bet to just go get one of those pre paid CCs for 50 bucks and send the info on that one?

thanks for the help

Neither would I Win.

If they want a deposit they should set up a proper internet system via there website they could use someone like World Pay eg

I have never paid a deposit in any of the places on soi lk.

I didnt have to leave a deposit when I stayed there for a month 5 weeks ago??

Just Pm Greg(owner ) Let him know about your reservations re CC info ,Sure it wont be a hassle for him.

Great place to stay and all staff are very friendly.Enjoy your trip.

Bruiser

Credit card info should never be sent via email and it's a dumb move for any business owner to request it IMO. They should either setup a secure webpage, or use PayPal, or pick up the phone. I once considered staying at the Billabong but was put off by the owners attitude via email. But up to you.

Edited by tomm

Thanks to all those who replied. I bit the bullet and got one of those pre paid visa gift cards and paid with it. If this was low season I would probably have just booked somewhere else. But most of the places I wanted to stay came back “all full”. And to be honest I have been wanting to try this place out. So I spent the extra $5 and got a prepaid card.

I will do a review of the place when I get home for anybody who cares.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks to all those who replied. I bit the bullet and got one of those pre paid visa gift cards and paid with it. If this was low season I would probably have just booked somewhere else. But most of the places I wanted to stay came back “all full”. And to be honest I have been wanting to try this place out. So I spent the extra $5 and got a prepaid card.

I will do a review of the place when I get home for anybody who cares.

Have you in fact had any response from the Owner or Manager re this situation. Seems to me that the place has different rules for different people and I would have liked to hear what the management had to say.

Have you in fact had any response from the Owner or Manager re this situation. Seems to me that the place has different rules for different people and I would have liked to hear what the management had to say.

Hello Guys from Billabong

We never used to require a deposit to secure bookings but recently have had quite a few no-shows. This month alone we had 4 people not show on bookings made previous to this policy, two which we sent limos to the airport for pickup and had to pay ourselves. All these were for over 2 week periods and we could have booked those rooms out but they are now empty.

We offer the alternative of direct depositing the money into our account although that is slightly dearer than CC payments. Although we have never had a problem we are in the process of setting up a secure payment page on the website. Shouldn't be too much longer even though it is being done Thailand. We regret having to inconvenience our guests but hope you can understand the reasons why we had to make this decision.

A free beer for all those that it inconvenienced.

Cheers

Greg

post-20391-1257663993.jpg

post-20391-1257663538.jpg

Edited by gregj69

Good response Greg. Perhaps this is the place for a bit name and shame if you had no response whatsoever. Having said that if the people are regulars or have a referee that is known to you perhaps you might like to make up a preferential list that make these people into VIP guests.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see this guy is not getting slagged off for requesting a deposit because of some guys booking rooms and then not going nor cancelling. It is probably the way forward at peak times or for pick ups etc. and it should just be the implementation and method that needs sorting out.

Glad to see this guy is not getting slagged off for requesting a deposit because of some guys booking rooms and then not going nor cancelling. It is probably the way forward at peak times or for pick ups etc. and it should just be the implementation and method that needs sorting out.

I agree. I sent my CC details to the Sandy Springs last year but with their agreement I did it on 3 different emails using 2 different email addys. It is not that hard. And I was pulling my bloody hair out in August trying to get something for New Years and ended up getting the last room at Lekatai. Just for research I am going to walk around to the 6 places that were full and find out out how many have vacancies. There will be a few with no shows, booked by pricks who have booked a few different places so they can have a look before they walk on in. IMHO a deposit is a good thing if it stops these twats booking 4 rooms then only 2 or 3 are used up because they couldn't get their mates to tag along.

I agree with Greg from Billabong 100%. One customer not showing up, can throw off an entire day/week/months worth of bookings. During holiday season especially more so, as you turn away guaranteed customers, and have to shift around your customers taking their place. Many people will make multiple reservations with several places, and not bother to cancel prior to their arrival, they just decide where to go and who with as they makes things up as they go, they just like to know they have a place to stay if they don't find something else. People wouldn't do this in the western parts of the world as much, so why do they do this so much here?

I agree with Greg from Billabong 100%. One customer not showing up, can throw off an entire day/week/months worth of bookings. During holiday season especially more so, as you turn away guaranteed customers, and have to shift around your customers taking their place. Many people will make multiple reservations with several places, and not bother to cancel prior to their arrival, they just decide where to go and who with as they makes things up as they go, they just like to know they have a place to stay if they don't find something else. People wouldn't do this in the western parts of the world as much, so why do they do this so much here?

Do you get many no-shows to your new beachfront hotel? or are they all driven directly their in one of your new taxicars? :leaving

I agree. I sent my CC details to the Sandy Springs last year but with their agreement I did it on 3 different emails using 2 different email addys. It is not that hard. And I was pulling my bloody hair out in August trying to get something for New Years and ended up getting the last room at Lekatai. Just for research I am going to walk around to the 6 places that were full and find out out how many have vacancies. There will be a few with no shows, booked by pricks who have booked a few different places so they can have a look before they walk on in. IMHO a deposit is a good thing if it stops these twats booking 4 rooms then only 2 or 3 are used up because they couldn't get their mates to tag along.

Guys coming here multiple times have got to have a bank account and if they don't then they are being a bit daft. Once internet banking is arranged, you could transfer money online for a deposit or with K-Banking (Kasikorn Bank) you can do it with your Thai SIM card.

A few years ago there was even a thread on one board with people bragging about how many rooms they had booked and were not going to cancel, just at the same time as others were complaining about CCs required and prices going up.

I use Pay Pal for all my pre pay. Never give out CC info. Seen to many guys get ripped off.

I hear about this all the time but surely people could use prepaid cards or do like I do with banks, load one account only with the amount they are going to take shortly before the time they will take it. Maybe get your bank to give you a totally separate account with a small limit which you only use for such things and which could never contaminate your main banking.

I hear about this all the time but surely people could use prepaid cards or do like I do with banks, load one account only with the amount they are going to take shortly before the time they will take it. Maybe get your bank to give you a totally separate account with a small limit which you only use for such things and which could never contaminate your main banking.

exactly...just use a pre-paid cc and only load the amount they`re asking for.

• 1 year later...

We never used to require a deposit to secure bookings but recently have had quite a few no-shows. This month alone we had 4 people not show on bookings made previous to this policy, two which we sent limos to the airport for pickup and had to pay ourselves. All these were for over 2 week periods and we could have booked those rooms out but they are now empty.

We offer the alternative of direct depositing the money into our account although that is slightly dearer than CC payments. Although we have never had a problem we are in the process of setting up a secure payment page on the website. Shouldn't be too much longer even though it is being done Thailand. We regret having to inconvenience our guests but hope you can understand the reasons why we had to make this decision.

Cheers

Greg

can I get a free beer anyway?

• 9 months later...

Cheers

Greg

Well I made the booking online and gave my CC Details and booked the room. Called in Greg and there was an instant reply as well , followed up next morning and found a booking detailed email in my inbox, called the CC customer care and got confirmation of the same deduction.I was comfortable with that . Indeed if I had the option I will go forward and pay full amount before I start my stay , in a peack season I know how hard it is to find a reputed place like Billabong..

3 Cheers to Greg.

5 star to service.

and yes 10/10 to Billabong