Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

New hotel coming but we need to know what you guys value most

Enough car parks for guests vehicles. I stayed at the Marriott in Pattaya a couple of years ago and they told me they had no car parks available. The car was parked outside the lobby and I told them I would leave it where it was and left the keys on the reception desk.

About 15 minutes later they brought the keys to the room saying they had found me a spot.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.Glass Shower-wall so to give clear view of shower from the bedroom and hose on toilet to clean arse.

2. along with flatscreen tv, service to view matches from other countries.

3. ATM.

4.Laudry

5.Wi-fi

6.Large Freelance Friendly bar.

7. Age limit on female employees.

8.Massage table in room.

9.No Joiner fee's

10. Loyalty card.(X amount of stays and one free night stay or free dinner or free sandwich or beer or something).

Edited by Al_Davis

1. Showers are very important and the bath tub / shower combos are a waste of time. There should be walk-in showers with multipule shower heads. Efficent direct water heaters for each water fauset in each room would make the showers better (no running out of hot water) and will cost less in heating the water.

2. Rooms should be one room suites and studios. Each should have a decent refrigarator, small sink, and maybe a microwave / toaster oven. A small kitchenette is OK but there should be a table / bar combo. Bolted down to the floor and waist high. Many type of snacks are eaten and served on the table that I use. House keeping will need to wipe it down daily.

3. Modern flat screen TVs and DVD players. As much wall mounting as possible to save room for counter top space.

4. Balcany for each room.

5. Later afternoon room cleaning. Possilbly setting up a cleaning schedule for those how want early traditional cleaning times and later afternoon cleaning for those of us who don't get out of bed until 2PM. Guests could sign up for early or late cleaning at checking so house keeping can schedule the staff accordingly.

Well, the funding is in place and a few locations have been checked out but we're still going through our options and we'd like to get some input from you guys, as you are our target market. We need your bums on our seats (well, beds actually) so instead of doing a Henry Ford and telling you what you were going to get, we thought we would actually listen to the people who will vote with their wallets because if we cannot attract them or even worse, cannot retain them as patrons, then we shouldn't be doing this.

I'd love to give you the Marriott for Bt1000 a day but we all know that is not possible. So what is possible ? Well, in terms of what you want inside the rooms, pretty much anything. In terms of what you'd like in the general areas, then unless we were to go outside Pattaya, the costs of buying the land needed would mean the ideas of swimming pools and gardens are out and we're looking at a city hotel or if you prefer, guest house, pension or apartments. That means a more convenient location but a more compact business.

The angle we want to come at this from is not asking you to choose between this facility or that amenity but to get a feeling of what you would feel happy paying for and what would turn you off if it was included and you thought that the price was a little too high because we provided amenities which you weren't happy to pay for. It is like trying to fix the feeling of thinking about whether to stay in a 5* hotel but realising that even if you stretch to the rate, you are really paying for all kinds of things which you will never use

For the fellow Europeans on here, we've no desire to go down the Ryanair route and say ok, it is Bt200 for the room, the bed will be another Bt100, sheets Bt50 each, floor tiles are Bt10 each and the toilet is Bt50 a go :allright etc. etc. However, we realise that in the modern world and in particular in these economic times, everyone is trimming their cloth and we are lucky that we can adapt our business model to the new world as we see it, where value for money is the order of the day.

We're going to come back later and put together the findings from this and other market research and hopefully try and get the right product at the right price. So instead of listing items which you could say yes or no to, we thought we'd start with an open forum where you can suggest anything you'd like and equally, tell us about things which you feel are just not worth paying for and not to bother including. Everyone has their own special wants and desires and here is the chance to see if we can incorporate some of them in our new business.

Just to start you off, we've a list of items which we think we'd like to see. Please add yours, scratch some off if you wish. Be honest.

General

Low noise remote control air conditioning

Built in furniture including more than ample storage

Large size electronic safety box

Large LCD TV (likely 42")

Complimentary DVD and integrated stereo system

All rooms will be no smoking though guests will be able to smoke on all balconies

Bathroom

Walk in separate shower. Not a cubicle but purpose built behind a wall with ample dimensions

Jacuzzi bath with seating area (may not be in all rooms)

Enclosed WC

High quality Egyptian cotton towels including oversized bath towels

Complimentary quality toiletries and decent toilet tissue !

Quality dressing gowns

Bedding

High quality hotel standard king size bed and mattress

High thread count soft feel bed linen

Potential of duvet (washed per schedule and per guest) as opposed to regular blankets

Services

Bed linen changed daily

Towels changed daily

Room service

Free wireless and hard wired broadband internet 24/7

Minimum Sophon cable or equivalent, potential UBC (working on prices for that)

Potential of complimentary in house laundry for guests (X pieces per day etc.)

Discounts on bar spend

Loyalty scheme for repeat guests

Now you may be asking what all this is likely to cost ? Well, we would rather have a popular business than high prices. We are looking at below Bt1000 a night before discounts for advance bookings and repeat guests.

So over to you and please give us your feedback. What we hope to do is to see what people value and what they do not. Put very simply, we'd love to eventually know just how much you value something so tell us what you value and then we'll come back and try and work out just how much of a value you would put on that. Perhaps you'd pay Bt50 a day extra for a jacuzzi but not Bt100 a day extra for example.

Many thanks

Would be nice to have a bathtub and it would be especialy nice to have the faucet raised so you dont hafto decide if its gone to be in the way of her back or yours if you know what I mean. Also, some coin laundry machines on premises especialy including driers. perhaps an option to do your own or have it done would be good for both guest and you. And how about this; runners available for a resonable fee if say you want that noodle soup from down the street but dont want to go get it. That could be a novel idea that I dont think any hotel offers yet. Good luck, Ill be watching for your opening.

We all seem to be tripping over overselves giving suggestion after suggestion. Sorry to see that the OP hasn't had the decency to atleast acknowledge the three pages of output that we have produced so far...

As he says in his topic, maybe he will listen...

Cute maids that put out.

Yeah, why not have a hotel cum bar where everybody in the hotel is available at a price.

The hotel maid would be available to be bar fined so that she could do everything....clean the room, clean you, anything.

Cute maids that put out.

You want the taxi drivers to put out, the maids to put out. Where is this going?

You do know that there are a lot of girls in this town that put out as part of their job description?

Why are you going after the ones who don't normallly do it? Are you trying to find a "good girl" or what?

Why are you going after the ones who don't normallly do it? Are you trying to find a "good girl" or what?

It's all part of the 'phallussy' that mongers like to subscribe to that every girl in Pattaya can be bought...and has her price...you just need to find it!

You want the taxi drivers to put out, the maids to put out. Where is this going?

You do know that there are a lot of girls in this town that put out as part of their job description?

Why are you going after the ones who don't normallly do it?

Variety is the spice of life.

Don't worry MM, if I was to find one that put out, they would be looking for a good guy.

Thanks a lot for the great response.

Some items there which we had dealt with such as how simple it is to have hot water available at every water outlet (except the toilet of course !). Multipoint heaters will be the order of the day which will serve all showers and mixer taps. I don't like shaving in cold water either !

I thought it great that most of the comments seem to understand the trade off between the price and what you can have and the location. The balance for us and it is a difficult balance I will admit, is to make sure that most people use most of the services that they are paying for. No point really to have a pool for instance (though I love one) if it means losing so much else and still impacts the rate.

Just picking a few more, though I've taken them all down and we'll go through each one., but the wifi issue seems a biggie. Hardwiring Cat 5/6 ethernet cabling is probable because of the technology delivery. No point having a thin pipe when the guy shitting on the pot puts out more and more as time goes on. You would just be building in obsolescence and fixing that costs money, which in this case, means no guests while you rip out the cabling so no, all cabling will be as future proof as we can reasonably envisage without going overboard. Free ? of course. You might hang around and buy something from us !

Issues with noise, blackout curtains, double glazing etc. are all on the books but the solutions will be specific to the building and whether we are looking at a retrofit scenario or from the ground build up.

All staff quality issues from front of house through service to maintenance and security and particularly not forgetting the cleaners will be addressed as a breakdown in communication can spoil your day. From my experience, I never saw why you either had 24 hour housekeeping in 5* places or severely limited housekeeping in guest houses. For sure, the people cleaning at 6am cannot be the same ones working at say 8pm and whilst there has to be a cut off somewhere, those timings have to fit in with the likely requirements of the guests. Not much good having staff clock off at 5pm, just when you are thinking about going back for a shower before heading out for the night is it ?

Things like guests and ID cards is taken for granted as is 24 hour security. The same goes with the mini bar. It has to be priced so that you'll use it and not just dump the contents on the floor but if you'd rather it was cleared, then so be it. It is our job to make you feel comfortable enough to use it without worry.

The way we look at it is we know you understand that you can't have everything you want for a price you'd like to pay, so there has to be compromise. Now we could do things as we see them and make the decisions ourselves as to where those compromises should be made or we could try and act a little bit clever and ask the potential customers what they value and what they don't think is a high enough priority.

Please keep the comments coming in but just a final thought for now which maybe you can throw some light on. Just what is the idea of changing the sheets every few days ? and what is this practice of taking the bottom sheet and making it the top sheet for the next day ? Sort of makes it alright to sleep in dirt as long as it is on top of you but not underneath or something ?

For me these are absolutely necessary:

1) Fast internet in the room

2) in-room safe

3) dead-bolt lock on the door

4) security requiring people pass reception to get to the elevators

5) daily maid service

6) balcony for drying wet clothes

Extras that I look for:

1) location inside the loop (Beach road, Pattaya Tai, 2nd road)

2) washing machine in the building - much cheaper than sending it out

3) 24-hour room service

4) pool

5) gym

1.Glass Shower-wall so to give clear view of shower from the bedroom and hose on toilet to clean arse.

I have seen this at Marriott hotel in Bangkok. Glass shower with full veiw to the bedroom is a must!!! Additionally, if one whole wall of the bathroom is glass with the counter top and a few mirrors on it, the whole room feels larger. Just hide the toilet in a closet. See the Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok for the idea.

Something that is often lacking in cheaper small hotels and guesthouses is enough lights for reading at night or take pictures of my Thaigirls! :clueless

I like a big central round rooflamp and a few spotlights with dimfunction, good lighting in front of mirrors for my shaving or my barfines to put on their make up and a reading lamp above the pillow-end of the bed for my reading!

Plahgat

1. Free wi-fi

2. Flat screen LCD TV (size not important)

3. DVD player

4. A good and comfortable bed (king size)

5. 4 pillows

6. Ceiling Fan

7. A shower that has hot water available

8. A decent cable TV system

9. Balcony as I smoke outside

10. A fridge that is good size, so I can put a bag of ice in the freezer

11. A basket of goodies when I arrive (small toothpaste, comdom, soap, shower cap for the ladies, etc)

12. 3 towels that aren't a rag

13. Mirrors above the bed

14. Members Club with 10% off my stays

15. Lamps, so I don't have to always turn on that annoying overhead light

1500-2000 Baht, all the time, never an increase for the seasons

Your going to run into problems with the cat 5/6 cable and it's going to be at the wall connection. the connection is not designed for numerous connect/disconnect.

How about a combination of both a wired and a wireless network.

Your going to run into problems with the cat 5/6 cable and it's going to be at the wall connection. the connection is not designed for numerous connect/disconnect.

Are you a Network Comms Engineer or a retired Postman? Patch cables are more likely to fail than the wall box.

1. Free wi-fi

2. Flat screen LCD TV (size not important)

3. DVD player

4. A good and comfortable bed (king size)

5. 4 pillows

6. Ceiling Fan

7. A shower that has hot water available

8. A decent cable TV system

9. Balcony as I smoke outside

10. A fridge that is good size, so I can put a bag of ice in the freezer

11. A basket of goodies when I arrive (small toothpaste, comdom, soap, shower cap for the ladies, etc)

12. 3 towels that aren't a rag

13. Mirrors above the bed

14. Members Club with 10% off my stays

15. Lamps, so I don't have to always turn on that annoying overhead light

1500-2000 Baht, all the time, never an increase for the seasons

Basket of goodies. A time share the folks own does this, but with food. They are self contained units. You can buy them at reception. Something like a few cold beers,mixers (for the duty free) some peanuts, 100 baht worth of 5, 10, and 20 baht coins, water, small soap, little shampoo, 2 toothbrushes and tooth paste, a razor, cheese and crackers, tea, coffee, sugar, milk etc (assuming a kettle is available), some packet noodles, a few pieces of fresh fruit etc. Price it to be reasonable and if the punter can gain 20 minutes less unpacking and 20 minutes less at 7-11 he probably won't mind paying it. Put some business cards in for the punter to take with him. Even throw in a cheap beer condom as advertising.

Basket of goodies. A time share the folks own does this, but with food. They are self contained units. You can buy them at reception. Something like a few cold beers,mixers (for the duty free) some peanuts, 100 baht worth of 5, 10, and 20 baht coins, water, small soap, little shampoo, 2 toothbrushes and tooth paste, a razor, cheese and crackers, tea, coffee, sugar, milk etc (assuming a kettle is available), some packet noodles, a few pieces of fresh fruit etc. Price it to be reasonable and if the punter can gain 20 minutes less unpacking and 20 minutes less at 7-11 he probably won't mind paying it. Put some business cards in for the punter to take with him. Even throw in a cheap beer condom as advertising.
There won't be any room left for a bed at this rate....:rolleyes:
There won't be any room left for a bed at this rate....:rolleyes:

If they are as messy as your half rate smart fucking answers you are right. Anything to help the OP you pommy git. Of course not. Dickhead.