Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I arrive in bangkok on christmas day, can anyone recomend a good taxi, dont want to get stuck at airport & get ripped off

Hello mate, from my own expierence i think most of the taxis from airport to pattaya are the same same price. It has been 3 years since my last visit so things may have changed.

Pre-book it is my advice, not just because this is what I do. Every person and their mother, knows this will be one of the 4 biggest holidays for us farang, so they figure they will jack up the prices as high as they can. It would be like trying to book a pickup for new years eve or day, same scenario.

Pre-book it is my advice, not just because this is what I do. Every person and their mother, knows this will be one of the 4 biggest holidays for us farang, so they figure they will jack up the prices as high as they can. It would be like trying to book a pickup for new years eve or day, same scenario.

There is absolutely no need to pre-book a taxi on Xmas day - it isn't a holiday in Thailand and taxis are plentiful. The prices are fixed at the airport and to suggest that they "will jack up the prices as high as they can" is totally misleading.

There is absolutely no need to pre-book a taxi on Xmas day - it isn't a holiday in Thailand and taxis are plentiful. The prices are fixed at the airport and to suggest that they "will jack up the prices as high as they can" is totally misleading.

Ditto, only emphasing the part about fixed prices at the airport.

Pre-book if you WANT to pre-book and possibly (probably?) have a guy standing somewhere around the airport with your name on a sign. Christmas is an ordinary working day for Thailand, kids go to school, parents go to work, including parents who are taxi drivers.

Taxis from the airport rank will assume you are a newbie and quote you something like 1800 baht, they are just trying it on. As you leave the airport get in the first taxi that will take you for 1200 if they say 1400 get in but dont tip them.

Ive never used Mr T but have used Mr Dream and the taxi was waiting for me, the car was clean and new and the journey smooth. I think he charged me 1100 baht so I gave the driver a decent tip

Taxis from the airport rank will assume you are a newbie

A newbie who wants to get a taxi should go to the taxi desk where the fares are printed and fixed, and get a chit. If it were me I'd go to the limo desk, frankly -- it's easy, it's fixed fare and it's a step up from the taxis, which are pretty comfortable anyhow, for one person or two with normal baggage.

When you get in, get your baggage, go up stairs to "departures" where the cabs are dropping people off and flag down a cab. Tell him you'll give him 1,000 baht to go to Pattaya. If the he says, "no," flag down another one. You probably won't have to barter with more then one, though.

Agreed except that if the OP wants to avoid the rip off fixed pricing at about Bt1600 or so instead of Bt1000/1200 or so, then he could pre book.

Out of interest, does anyone know if the official taxi queue just do it for the meter plus Bt50 or do they want to break the law and refuse to go unless they get a higher rate ?

The OP also needs to know whether tolls are included as often with the cheaper prices they are not and many many taxi drivers argue that they are not included, even in the Bt1600 fares.

Try Max (Thai guy) on 0844 991 453 / 0864 013 372

When you get in, get your baggage, go up stairs to "departures" where the cabs are dropping people off and flag down a cab. Tell him you'll give him 1,000 baht to go to Pattaya. If the he says, "no," flag down another one. You probably won't have to barter with more then one, though.

Oh definitely, the first thing you should do on your first arrival after a long flight to a brand new country is drag your baggage all over one of the world's biggest airports and try to follow the Internet directions to find a semi-legal taxi with a completely unaccountable driver who doesn't speak your language and has Clue 0 where your hotel is, so you can save $10 -- let's be really generous and say $20.

[/sarcasm] I just don't understand this sort of advice. Yeah, okay, you're an old Suvarnabhumi hand, but the OP isn't.

If you go to the taxi desk, or the limo desk or even if you pre-book here with one of the dodgy agencies, at least you're able to tell people where you're going in a mutual language. "Go up stairs" and start bargaining? Come on, that's not really helpful.

Or just go downstairs and get on the bus.

(Actually it's a moving walkway so downstairs isn't correct)

I was offered a 1000 baht taxi before I got to the bus guys.

They spoke some English and I had to wait about 10 minutes.

Or just go downstairs and get on the bus.

(Actually it's a moving walkway so downstairs isn't correct)

I was offered a 1000 baht taxi before I got to the bus guys.

They spoke some English and I had to wait about 10 minutes.

Same same. I have also got a cheapie by going up in the lift to the departure area. If you can get a cab going back to Patts it has to be a good buy, no parking or waiting for the driver.

I can certainly recommend Mr T. Used them about 6 or 7 times over the last 6 months and will be using them again next week.

Cost is 1200B Pattaya -> BKK and 1000B BKK -> Pattaya.

Includes toll fares and the cars and drivers are excellent.

A metered taxi will set you back 1500B (no negotiation) and you will need to get in line and hope for he best .... did it once and NEVER again.

Ring Mr T a few days before you arrive and the driver will meet you at the meeting point near exit 3 holding a sign with your name. No hassles and just what you'll need after a long flight. Explain your destination to Mr T when you call and you wont even have to say a word.

If you feel like a refreshment on the way to Pattaya you can pre-arrange or the drivers will ask you if youu want to stop for something about 20 mins into the trip. You'll have to pay extra for this of course

Cheers :D: 2SS

I have used four methods, pre-book from a service, pre-book with the hotel, taxi meter, and airport limo counter.

All three will get you there.

The taxi meter is cheapest, you do run a risk of the driver getting lost trying to find your hotel in Pattaya. I have had to give directions to my taxi meter driver (using hand signals) as once he got me to Pattaya.

Pre-booking is fine, but you will have to find your driver, drag you bags to his car in the parking garage, and there is a chance your driver won't show up.

Pre-booking through your hotel will run about the same as a pre-booking through a service, and will cost about the same or a bit more. They will probably show up and should know how to get you to the hotel.

The limo desk driver will probably speak fairly good english and be able to at least talk to you and your hotel in Pattaya on his cell phone if he gets lost. It would probably be the most expensive.

I would not recommend the taxi meter for a first trip. Nothing unsafe or unsavory, just that I can't stand the thought of getting lost after 24 hours of traveling.

Edited by Sailfast

I use pontaxi (pontaxi@hotmail.com). 1000B plus 50B (for tolls). Always been there with a sign with your name on it, they will explain by email where to go to meet the driver (exit 3 basically). They are based out of the bag/luggage shop at the corner of Soi 8 Second road.

P

A metered taxi will set you back 1500B (no negotiation) and you will need to get in line and hope for he best .... did it once and NEVER again.
Why 'hope for the best'?

I have done this a few times and I was soon in a taxi, the driver seemed happy to get a long fare.

Sure it was 1500, but the vehicle seemed better than the taxis that drop you off (not airport taxi-meters), and the process was straight forward.

I recommend Khun Kob 0895320899. You can also get in touch with him via Facebook - Kob Pattaya. Mention Dave from Scotland recommended you and the price should be 1200 even though it will be a busy day. Very reliable and very trustworthy.

cheers

Davyson

Oh FFS just go upstairs to departures and get a Taxi Meter dropping off. Swampy to central Bangkok 230 Baht. Pattaya 900 Baht. Hardly rocket science.

for a newbie rocket sceince is probably easier, getting a metered taxi to Nanna for 230 or 900 to pattaya , i dont like the chances. Last time I was quoted 1500 upstairs

My two bobs worth , I would pre book (not , pre pay) with Ms Ang ang2612@hotmail.com or 086-6055698 she is a little cutie who drives safely. or one of the other touts that appear on the board, sure there are some complaints but in the majority most people are happy with the service.

First time in Thailand its nice to arrive and have a friendly face waiting for you with your name on a sign. 1200 baht is around what you'll pay but don't freat too much over price.

Its your first time, enjoy your holiday. Whilst you dont want to throw money away dont spend your entire time arguing or worrying over peanuts.

for a newbie rocket sceince is probably easier, getting a metered taxi to Nanna for 230 or 900 to pattaya , i dont like the chances. Last time I was quoted 1500 upstairs

My two bobs worth , I would pre book (not , pre pay) with Ms Ang ang2612@hotmail.com or 086-6055698 she is a little cutie who drives safely. or one of the other touts that appear on the board, sure there are some complaints but in the majority most people are happy with the service.

First time in Thailand its nice to arrive and have a friendly face waiting for you with your name on a sign. 1200 baht is around what you'll pay but don't freat too much over price.

Its your first time, enjoy your holiday. Whilst you dont want to throw money away dont spend your entire time arguing or worrying over peanuts.

Thanks fot all your replys guys, this is my second trip to los, last time i booked a package & it was all sorted for me, this time i,m doing it all myself, flight, hotel, taxi etc, think i,ll prebook to be safe,

cheers

skilts