Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

"its only a small programme"?????

That's good.

Really, that's good. The trouble with Norton/Symantec and others is that they are only BIG programs.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I use AVAST, never had a virus or a problem.

cheers

Rodney

I use Avast too. Don't get me started on Norton / Symantec or PCCillin either, because I used both. And I also had to deal with Symantec Network Security at my job. I hear Norton owns stock in the Skytop, and GM too!

:rolleyes:

Edited by eltib

I get McAffee free with my DSL service. It detected instances of a root-kit but wasn't able to remove it. I tried Avast and it took care of it with the initial scan on boot. Now I use both. Avast is good.

Avast! (the exclamation point is part of the name) has been so good in the free home version that I paid for the professional version for my business. No problems, very fast and self loads updates.

Even the new Norton is a system hog, and after you install they will try to get you to pay more for a somewhat faster upgrade. The only thing fast about Norton is their loss of market share in the last 2 years.

I doubt you have ever tried Norton Internet Security 2009 or 2010. If you had tried it you would have seen that it is fast and uses very little resources. Faster upgrade? I have never seen anything like that. In fact I never see the program unless I click on the icon. That's just the way I like it. I hate having to fiddle around with settings and manual scans. Why would I pay for a program that asks me questions that I have no idea what the answer is. Norton works right out of the box and a fully automatic program is exactly what I want and pay for.

I'm not in love with Norton and don't care what you use. It just irritates me when people talk bullshit about things they have no knowledge of.

Why would I pay for a program that asks me questions that I have no idea what the answer is. Norton works right out of the box and a fully automatic program is exactly what I want and pay for.

That's a good question. Here's another one. Why would you pay for a program that doesn't ask you questions?

You make it sound like Norton is almost as good as Microsoft Security Essentials, even though it's bigger.

That's a good question. Here's another one. Why would you pay for a program that doesn't ask you questions?

You make it sound like Norton is almost as good as Microsoft Security Essentials, even though it's bigger.

Read some reviews and you will find out that Microsoft Security Essentials is poorly rated. The only good thing about it is that it's free.

If a package including a firewall, anti spam and anti spyware doesn't know what it is looking for, what good is it? Why should I answer questions when I have a program that is supposed to do it for me?

Yesterday a guy was complaining about Avast finding all sorts of different problems. He deleted those "BAD" files and now has a mess. They were apparently false alarms. Supposedly Avast fixed the problem the next update, but that doesn't do him any good.

AVG caused me to have to format my hard drive and start over. You get what you pay for. If you like the pop ups and doing things manually, that's up to you. Why would I care how big a program is as long as it does its job? My 320GB hard drive still has LOTS of room.

Use whatever you like. If you have no infections, then it must work for you. I used Avast when I first tried out Windows 7 and it seemed to work fine. If you want a resource eating heavy program, that is one of them. When I bought Windows 7 Pro, I didn't want any problems and that's why I won't use the free stuff. I'm not a rich man but I can afford to protect 3 computers for $60 a year. $20 each.

I have used AVG free edition for years and never had one problem. I don't get harassed for an upgrade. I have it set to automatically download the latest virus signature file 15 minutes before the automatic virus scan. Can't be any simpler than that. I also have AVAST running at the same time with automatic download of signature file and running. There are no conflicts and you get twice the protection for Zero cost. Some slight resource drain but not enough to stop you looking at these forum's.

I use AGV free version 9 and Adaware free and have never had an issue. Only proble is the 1 hour 40 minute scan. I am interested in those that use AGV and Avast, this is supposed to cause conflicts. I note that one member says there is no problem. Any comments?

I use AGV free version 9 and Adaware free and have never had an issue. Only proble is the 1 hour 40 minute scan. I am interested in those that use AGV and Avast, this is supposed to cause conflicts. I note that one member says there is no problem. Any comments?

Exectly what i use mate,(avg and adaware) have done for years with no problems.

I think the main probem is people not keeping their programs UP TO DATE, just cos they have protection they think they are protected for life!!

Keep updated!!

Edited by farman
Read some reviews and you will find out that Microsoft Security Essentials is poorly rated. The only good thing about it is that it's free.

If a package including a firewall, anti spam and anti spyware doesn't know what it is looking for, what good is it? Why should I answer questions when I have a program that is supposed to do it for me?

Yesterday a guy was complaining about Avast finding all sorts of different problems. He deleted those "BAD" files and now has a mess. They were apparently false alarms. Supposedly Avast fixed the problem the next update, but that doesn't do him any good.

AVG caused me to have to format my hard drive and start over. You get what you pay for. If you like the pop ups and doing things manually, that's up to you. Why would I care how big a program is as long as it does its job? My 320GB hard drive still has LOTS of room.

Use whatever you like. If you have no infections, then it must work for you. I used Avast when I first tried out Windows 7 and it seemed to work fine. If you want a resource eating heavy program, that is one of them. When I bought Windows 7 Pro, I didn't want any problems and that's why I won't use the free stuff. I'm not a rich man but I can afford to protect 3 computers for $60 a year. $20 each.

The reviews i read gave it good reviews

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=117961

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/so...s-640587/review

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/35...rity-essentials

Think about just how useless a package is if it only can find stuff it is looking for. The first new virus, trojan, phishing expedition just waltzes right by Norton. Norton is useless in the face of new stuff. You've never had a problem since you've been using Norton - but I've never had any cobras in my house since I switched from Sony to a Panasonic TV. Maybe Norton... MAYBE Norton had nothing to do with your lack of problems.

But you missed my point entirely, which was: Why pay for anything at all? "Read some reviews" indeed and find that Norton is not ever Number One at anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a missionary, you use what gives you confidence. But there is no LOGICAL reason to pay for security for a personal computer.

Think about just how useless a package is if it only can find stuff it is looking for. The first new virus, trojan, phishing expedition just waltzes right by Norton. Norton is useless in the face of new stuff. You've never had a problem since you've been using Norton - but I've never had any cobras in my house since I switched from Sony to a Panasonic TV. Maybe Norton... MAYBE Norton had nothing to do with your lack of problems.

But you missed my point entirely, which was: Why pay for anything at all? "Read some reviews" indeed and find that Norton is not ever Number One at anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a missionary, you use what gives you confidence. But there is no LOGICAL reason to pay for security for a personal computer.

I have to agree with your words Joekicker, why pay for something you can get for free?

I deep-6'd Norton last year, which I'd used to replace McAfee, replacing it with Avast! and haven't regretted it for a moment. The other two, Norton in particular, were resource hogs that slowed my laptop to a crawl. Avast! was recommended to me by a couple of systems security engineers. It automatically updates the virus definitions database, and very regularly, and the moment I swapped out and ran it for the first time it picked up a ton of malware that the others had let slip by.

I also run Spybot Search-And-Destroy, another piece of freeware, and it's done an excellent job of blocking malware that's been planted in web sites. I also have Lavasoft's latest version of Ad-Aware, but I think Spybot is doing a bit better job.

Edited by Mescalito

AVG is really good and completely free. It's all I ever use.

I have used AVG free edition for years and never had one problem. I don't get harassed for an upgrade. I have it set to automatically download the latest virus signature file 15 minutes before the automatic virus scan. Can't be any simpler than that. I also have AVAST running at the same time with automatic download of signature file and running. There are no conflicts and you get twice the protection for Zero cost. Some slight resource drain but not enough to stop you looking at these forum's.

That might be good for the warm fuzzy feeling, but I would prefer one form of protection that I have confidence in, you have 2 which you do not!

How many condoms do you use and what brand(s)?

That might be good for the warm fuzzy feeling, but I would prefer one form of protection that I have confidence in, you have 2 which you do not!

Running two security programs for the same purpose is highly NOT recommended. If you don't trust one, at least only use the second one as a scanner for backup. Nothing good, and several things bad can happen by running these two at the same time, or ANY two that do roughly the same thing such as anti-virus, anti-adware, etc.

well to be honest i have had some viruses get through so i it aint good really looks like norten is the best so "up to you honey" lol :D

After 10 years of disappointing results, bloated software, and no phone support from Norton, I switched to Trend Micro Internet Protection last year and have never looked back. The best $50 you'll ever spend. 3 licenses included. Rated #1 in speed, accuracy, and support from Consumer Reports magazine.

Salty

http://www.pccillinsecurity.com/USA/trend_...oytsonxwybrxkxh

I thought Id have a week or so to make my mind up after the subscription ran out, but Norton switched itself off 1luv Another thing I didnt like about Norton was that you had to sign up for a rolling payment, and then email to stop it 1luv

I went with AVAST as AVG got a few complaints on page one of the thread, but now seems to get good reports.

I have been using AVG free for 4 to 5 Years now. Had only one serious problem in the past and this was because it was not been kept up to date.

Currently use AVG Free Version 9 with auto update option which keeps it updated and I never have any problems. I use spybot (free) to scan for spyware. Both are excellent programs to use.

I just upgraded my laptop to Win 7 Pro. Rather than download my beloved Norton Internet Security, I went ahead and installed Microsoft Security essentials. I am using the Windows Firewall, Microsoft Security Essentials and Advanced System Care.

If I have any problems, I'll go look up joekicker. :beer