Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Posted Images

Cilantro is coriander !

Cilantro is to coriander what tomatoes are to ketchup.

Same plant, not same product.

Or maybe that's what you limeys think!

Cilantro is to coriander what tomatoes are to ketchup.

Same plant, not same product.

Or maybe that's what you limeys think!

Here's the difference between coriander and cilantro

"Cilantro, also known as coriander, is a plant that is widely used in Asian, Middle Eastern, and Latin American cooking. The plant itself is coriandrum sativum, is indigenous to Southern Europe and the Mediterranean, and is related to parsley. In common usage, at least in the States, cilantro refers to the leaves of the plant and coriander refers to the seeds, which are often ground.

There is a pretty big taste difference between the leaves and seeds. The leaves have a very pungent smell and taste and are used in highly seasoned foods. In fact, the leaves have not found broad acceptance in Europe outside of Portugal, which developed an affinity for the taste following its conquests in Africa. (The leaves are also referred to as Chinese parsley and Arab parsley.) The seeds, however, have a spicy, lemony aroma and taste."

Ooops, wrong door, I was looking for the whoremonger's forum and stepped into the cookery class!

Ooops, wrong door, I was looking for the whoremonger's forum and stepped into the cookery class!

No you opened up a thread that started with Tin Salmon and has evolved into cilantro/coriander :D

Cilantro is coriander !

Just a daft Yank name for it :D

Always have some in the house for Thai and non Thai cooking and salads.

as was stated...coriander is the seed....

usually the key ingredient in curry,

but the plant, the leaves, is a very different aromatic,

not same same....so when you go looking for coriander,

you get a seed or powder, when you look for cilantro,

you get a leafy plant that looks like parsley,

how the eff are they the same?......

Nope, coriander is the plant, the leaves, the seeds, including the roots if you use them. It is all coriander. Now if someone wants to call the seeds cilantro, then fine but they are coriander seeds ! There isn't some magic cilantro plant which makes cilantro seeds.

Nope, coriander is the plant, the leaves, the seeds, including the roots if you use them. It is all coriander. Now if someone wants to call the seeds cilantro, then fine but they are coriander seeds ! There isn't some magic cilantro plant which makes cilantro seeds.

Yeah, it must be a regional thing.

We "Yanks" call the leaves cilantro, and the seeds coriander (seeds). They are two different products sold in two different sections of the market used for two different purposes. That they come from the same plant is immaterial when shopping or using them in a meal.

Coriander sold in a store looks like this

1257961336177.jpg

Cilantro sold in a store (in the refrigerated produce section) looks like this

cilantro.jpg

But you knew that already :clueless

Head on down to the Naklua market and demand seeds of cilantro or leaves of coriander, see what happens. You are essentially arguing that blow and crystal meth are exactly the same thing. And they're not.

After you finish your shopping, show the old ladies some pins and ask them to jam some angels on the heads for you. jeez.

Edited by joekicker
After you finish your shopping, show the old ladies some pins and ask them to jam some angels on the heads for you. jeez.

Joe, what on earth are you on about?
Joe, what on earth are you on about?

Joe is refering to the famous question, "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" (sometimes "point of a needle" is used). The 'angels on a pin" question is used to make fun of nitpicking arguments and arcane debates. It goes back to the theological battles of the medieval scholastic philosphers, with particular reference to St. Thomas Acquinas and his propositions about the nature of angels in Summa Theologica.

Evil

:banghead

Joe is refering to the famous question, "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" (sometimes "point of a needle" is used). The 'angels on a pin" question is used to make fun of nitpicking arguments and arcane debates. It goes back to the theological battles of the medieval scholastic philosphers, with particular reference to St. Thomas Acquinas and his propositions about the nature of angels in Summa Theologica.

Evil

:D

What he said!

jacko, I'm surprised you didn't get it right away...you're usually even with or ahead of the pack. :rotflmao

To do some pin-dancing myself, "cilantro" is the Spanish word for "coriander." Ground coriander seeds had been used in America since colonial times, but use of the fresh leaves is much later and came through Mexican cuisine. Hence two different names for two different products (coriander for the ground spice, cilantro for the fresh leaves).

Evil

:unsure:

angel.jpg vannacomeover.jpg

What he said!

jacko, I'm surprised you didn't get it right away...you're usually even with or ahead of the pack. :D

Well I hadn't yet taken a swig from my cup of Joe yet... I am more familiar with 'point of a needle'........

But Joe seems to be making it harder lately....

Well I hadn't yet taken a swig from my cup of Joe yet... I am more familiar with 'point of a needle'........

But Joe seems to be making it harder lately....

You are an early riser!

BTW, are you suggesting there was a theological argument characterized by reference to the "point of a needle"? Perhaps "how many angels can dance on the point of a needle"?? OUCH!

You are an early riser!

BTW, are you suggesting there was a theological argument characterized by reference to the "point of a needle"? Perhaps "how many angels can dance on the point of a needle"?? OUCH!

Early to bed, early to rise makes a man ...well scrub wise obviously... :rolleyes:

Just to keep things straight, there wasn't actually a medieval debate about how many angels can dance on either the head of a pin or the point of a needle. I'd have to look it up to be 100% sure, but as I remember from a long-ago course in the history of philosophy, the actual (written) debate concerned how many angels could exist in one place at the same time. Later writers referred to it sarcastically as "how many angels can dance ... ?"

Evil

:allright

I have looked high and low but can't find canned red/pink salmon anywhere.

Somebody help me :clueless

Back to your, MM's and Jacko's favourite subject. Pink salmon in a red tin is now available at Friendship Supermarket for THB 96. Like Joe pointed out, a tin of tuna for THB 32 is much better value.

The Thai Ayam brand of baked beans is just as good as the American Heinz brand at a fraction of the price. :wanker

Red_Salmon.JPG

Speaking of Scotland.... This is pretty mean but I'm just the messenger. It happened, on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson:

There's a Scottish person here and they think I'm their friend because they're from Scotland. I'm like, "I emigrated for a reason, girl!"

Back to your, MM's and Jacko's favourite subject. Pink salmon in a red tin is now available at Friendship Supermarket for THB 96. Like Joe pointed out, a tin of tuna for THB 32 is much better value.

The Thai Ayam brand of baked beans is just as good as the American Heinz brand at a fraction of the price. :bigsmile:

Red_Salmon.JPG

Surprisingly the Ayam baked beans aren't bad. The beans are a little on the large size but fair on toast. I must give the red salmon a go then, where can I get some good malt vinegar and Heinz salad cream?

The tuna might suit the cat.

Edited by jacko
Surprisingly the Ayam baked beans aren't bad. The beans are a little on the large size but fair on toast. I must give the red salmon a go then, where can I get some good malt vinegar and Heinz salad cream?

The tuna might suit the cat.

I have not opened the tin of salmon yet, therefore I cannot give an opinion on the taste of its contents. I am pretty sure they have the right vinegar and salad cream at Friendship's. They are the most Farang-friendly supermarket in town, in my opinion.

One thing is for certain. The salmon is imported, but there is no way it is the good stuff from Alaska. In Australia, a tin of red salmon from the USA will set you back at least 5 to 8 Aussie dollars, depending on its size. I like tinned salmon now and then as a snack. A few years ago I discovered really cheap tinned salmon in Darwin, farm-bred and imported from Chile. It tasted nearly as good as the American stuff, so I started to buy it.

Not long after that, I saw a report on TV about Chilean farmed salmon. Chile seem to be the largest producer of farmed salmon in the world. They showed large enclosures in the ocean, where huge machinery pump tons of pellets of fish feed into the closed off breeding areas to fatten up the salmon.

Unfortunately, the Chileans were found out to use fish pellets, which often contain traces of heavy metals. They still sell the cheap Chilean stuff in Oz alongside the good expensive Sockeye stuff from the USA. Anyway, I am a fresh food eater and might eat a tin of fish as a snack after a night on the piss when I make it back home.

I much prefer sardines and I have not been able to locate any in Thailand. My favourite brand are King Oscar sardines in spring water from Norway. Thy contain only healthy Omega 3, very small amounts of sodium and many good other nutrients. Any idea where one can find good European or Canadian sardines in Pattaya and I don't mean the salty Thai stuff in little round tins? :rotflmao

I wonder if MM is keen on another thread about sardines on his fair message board? :D

Speaking of Scotland.... This is pretty mean but I'm just the messenger. It happened, on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson:

There's a Scottish person here and they think I'm their friend because they're from Scotland. I'm like, "I emigrated for a reason, girl!"

He didnt emmigrate. He was banished :D

The Thai Ayam brand of baked beans is just as good as the American Heinz brand at a fraction of the price. :banghead

Red_Salmon.JPG

Thanks for the info. Pink salmon you say? Do they have red also? I dread to think of the price. Might have to buy Omega 3 capsules instead.

I have not opened the tin of salmon yet, therefore I cannot give an opinion on the taste of its contents. I am pretty sure they have the right vinegar and salad cream at Friendship's. They are the most Farang-friendly supermarket in town, in my opinion.

I much prefer sardines and I have not been able to locate any in Thailand. My favourite brand are King Oscar sardines in spring water from Norway. Thy contain only healthy Omega 3, very small amounts of sodium and many good other nutrients. Any idea where one can find good European or Canadian sardines in Pattaya and I don't mean the salty Thai stuff in little round tins? :cry1

I wonder if MM is keen on another thread about sardines on his fair message board? :cry1

I find Foodland to be pretty good for everything I like from the west, plus, their fresh meat selection is far superior to Friendship's. I actually shop at both.

Sardines! I'd love to see a thread about them, where to get them, the tastiest packing juices.

And, on top of that, where do you get good crackers that can take a load of sardines and oil without falling apart in your lap?

Perhaps these threads should be in the Expat section?