Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Ordering off the internet and shipping to Thailand

I've ordered and received many, many things from the internet. Had 100% success with arrival of the goods.

Customs and duty is a crap shoot. Some stuff just arrives at the door with no duty, some you have to pick up from Bunglamung Post Office and pay the duty that has been assessed when the goods arrived and some you have to go to customs at the port (Lam Chabang), open the goods and let customs inspect them and assess the duty.

Biggest thing I have ordered are the freestanding table lamps we use at the Beer Garden. I ordered 40 of them along with chargers at a total cost of well over 40,000 baht. When they arrived I was summoned to the customs office at the port. I noticed a sign on the wall there that said goods under 1,000 baht free, between 1,000 baht and 40,000 baht duty will be assessed as per the book rate and over 40,000 baht an import license is required.

Although the value of the lamps was clearly stated on the package the customs guy asked me what they cost and I said (having regard for the sign), 39,000 baht. Ok, he said, 39,000 baht plus 3,000 baht shipping that's 42,000 baht for duty. I thought I was fucked but he decided to let me off the 2,000 baht and I paid duty on 40,000 only.

They have a huge book which lists items and the duty payable on them. They never seem to be able to find the right listing though and usually proffer a percentage as a question. If you say OK, it's done but if you quibble with them they may pick a lower percentage and see if you are happy with that.

If I have to go to the customs office I also say I do not need a receipt which cuts down on the paper work which seems to take them ages to complete and may may get you a lower price during the percentage negotiations.

BTW the lamps came from China and they definitely wanted duty on them.

Ive purchased are fair whack of stuff from ebay.com.au and had it delivered standard Aus post, never had any isses with delivery.

As for Sardines in olive oil, why not just buy em at Carrefour, I bought a few yesterday.....sardines on toast yummy yummy yummy.

I'll try Carrefour for the sardines. And thanks for the tip on ebay.co.au.

I'll try Carrefour for the sardines. And thanks for the tip on ebay.co.au.
I hope you didn't go straight away, the queue's were a mile long!

People must have been restocking after Christmas.... I went to Tescos.

Only been in effect 11 days... :allright

Jacko,

Do you have any links to the information about the FTA between China and Thailand? I can only find the information about the one that covers fruit and veggies.

I would like to have something that shows the boss that we can ship from Thailand to China under the FTA.

Jacko,

Do you have any links to the information about the FTA between China and Thailand? I can only find the information about the one that covers fruit and veggies.

I would like to have something that shows the boss that we can ship from Thailand to China under the FTA.

Google it.....

Twice...

Edited by jacko
  • 4 weeks later...

I have purchased a number of electronic items from eBay US. The items shipped UPS and Fedex were taxed a flat 30 percent and the shipping cost was also taxed the 30 percent. The last items were shipped USPS, that's United States Postal Service, and they have so far escaped any custom taxes. I always ask the seller if he will ship USPS and if he won't, I look for a seller that will.

I just ordered an expensive pressure cooker from Australia shipped via the Australian postal service. Taxes? I have no idea but I'll know soon.

I had a few shipments, mainly from the USA, Electronics and Photographic equipment, shipped to here in the past.

Regular (USPS) unregistered mail mostly arrived without customs. But so far twice it did not arrive at all. later turned out that it was returned o sender, most likely the postman did not bother to find us, and rather filled out a pickup notice which he displaced so it got lost ....

FedEx, UPS and the like all well, and usually within 3 days. Last order the total (including shipment charges) was around $ 360, and I paid less than 2000 Baht to the freight agent on delivery.

I have purchased a number of electronic items from eBay US. The items shipped UPS and Fedex were taxed a flat 30 percent and the shipping cost was also taxed the 30 percent. The last items were shipped USPS, that's United States Postal Service, and they have so far escaped any custom taxes. I always ask the seller if he will ship USPS and if he won't, I look for a seller that will.

I just ordered an expensive pressure cooker from Australia shipped via the Australian postal service. Taxes? I have no idea but I'll know soon.

I received my pressure cooker two days ago from Australia. It arrived regular Thai mail and no tax. About eight days shipping time.

I have also just ordered another GPS from the US. For an extra $15 fee they will declare the item as a gift and argue with Thai customs if necessary. They say that works 99 percent of the time. If you do end up paying tax, they refund the $15.

Edited by Gary
  • 2 months later...
Haven't you been reading the Canned Red Salmon thread? :banghead

I am in Ubonratchathani - Tesco/ Lotus, have Red Salmon, in Tins, but, sometimes they are out of stock, and if you ask the staff ( My Wife does the asking) they do not know what she is talking about......Same with Sardines, but Big C, is better, as they have variety of different makes in Sardines.

I've been wondering if anyone has ordered anything off the internet overseas and had it shipped here.

Can it be done? What can be received?

I'm thinking of some computer equipment I can't get here and/or some tinned sardines in olive oil from someplace like amazon.com.

Over 5 years here, and I've never tried it.

I've tried it for 'amazon' for 5 yrs and it doesn't work, I'm about to greak down and call to BITCH big time.. :allright

I have one box from overseas that is currently being held for ransom by Thai Customs. They've opened it and put what was in it on the seizure notice. Not kidding.
Care to tell....? :allright
  • 5 weeks later...

I have a Xbox360 with loads of games, steering wheel, etc. I want to bring it to LOS and give it as a gift. Is it worth it, or will I just be hassled at customs to pay duties on a used game box?

I have a Xbox360 with loads of games, steering wheel, etc. I want to bring it to LOS and give it as a gift. Is it worth it, or will I just be hassled at customs to pay duties on a used game box?

I brought my sons Xbox last year in the hope it could be fixed at a reasonable price.I just brought it in my suitcase and no one asked.I was still not worth getting it fixed so I left it with someone who said they could give it to a charity.

I recently bought a Rolex from Ebay UK but it was an American seller. Customs charged me $650 import tax before they would release it to me.

It came through UPS - Now if I sell anymore Rolex's I have to factor that into the sales price.

• 3 weeks later...
I recently bought a Rolex from Ebay UK but it was an American seller. Customs charged me $650 import tax before they would release it to me.

It came through UPS - Now if I sell anymore Rolex's I have to factor that into the sales price.

It is well known that the major couriers get stung but you cannot just put Rolex watches in the regular mail. Personally, I would not put them in Fed Ex or UPS but would have someone bring them over for me.

It is well known that the major couriers get stung but you cannot just put Rolex watches in the regular mail. Personally, I would not put them in Fed Ex or UPS but would have someone bring them over for me.

If that was a possibility I certainly would. It would cost me a lot less for sure.

It came through UPS fine and very quick from the US it was just the cost which luckily the Watch vendor went halves on with me.