Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Would you guys consider living in Pattaya permanently?

Perhaps it would be better just to return to the UK for the summer..... what day will it be this year?

Strangely I spend the summers in Pattaya ,anything from 2 to 4 1/2 months each year,hopefully 3 months this year May,June,July,and the rest of the year I live at home in the UK.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is a fair assumption. I wonder just how many of the people who want to live in Thailand permanently but don't want to live in Pattaya have actually spent more than a few days in the boonies or even the nearest town of note to their girls's mama and papa ? OK, some go live there because they cannot afford Pattaya. Some people don't have a/c either ! I guess some people still think the world is flat.

I think living past Suk creates a natural break and no matter how many quasi swimming brothels they put up (and which will surely die off as there cannot be sufficient business) and no matter how many people move there, there will always be some places to relax and chill out. I'm not talking about those cheap glued houses which look like they came off a factory conveyor belt, you know the ones, no grass, no trees, just straight streets of yellow coffins with green lids like those at the top of Soi Khao Noi.

I always liked the south, I felt more at home there but I don't think I'd live there. Not sure but I still think Pattaya is hard to beat when you consider the alternatives.

I have lived no further than 10 minutes from my wife's parents, for pretty much the entire 9 years I have been married to my wife. Not in Pattaya, and not in Bangkok. I don't see what the issue with that is?

I have lived no further than 10 minutes from my wife's parents, for pretty much the entire 9 years I have been married to my wife. Not in Pattaya, and not in Bangkok. I don't see what the issue with that is?
But you used to come to Pattaya quite often didn't you?

And are we talking of Laem Chabang or Chonburi here? (I forget)

Same province Big Chief....and not the boonies.

Edited by jacko
But you used to come to Pattaya quite often didn't you?

And are we talking of Laem Chabang or Chonburi here? (I forget)

Same province Big Chief....and not the boonies.

Chonburi City yes, but I don't live in the city. I live far enough out of the city, that we don't get city water. One neighbor, and surrounded by tree farms and sugar cane fields. Oh, and a paper recycling company.

Chonburi City yes, but I don't live in the city. I live far enough out of the city, that we don't get city water. One neighbor, and surrounded by tree farms and sugar cane fields. Oh, and a paper recycling company.
You aren't there now though are you?

Anyhow, you were working there and the OP is really discussing being retired and living in Pattaya, more time on one's hands.

And by the way, Chonburi is a town not a city, (ref Joekicker), the CITY is PATTAYA!

Do you think you would be content living with your wife, near to her parents, one neighbour (is it Brad?) if you didn't escape to work most of the day?

Anyhow, you were working there and the OP is really discussing being retired and living in Pattaya, more time on one's hands.

And by the way, Chonburi is a town not a city, (ref Joekicker), the CITY is PATTAYA!

Do you think you would be content living with your wife, near to her parents, one neighbour (is it Brad?) if you didn't escape to work most of the day?

That's funny, seeing as though Chonburi City and all it's suburbs dwarfs the population on Pattaya.

The neighbor is the younger brother of the former Mayor of Chonburi.

I have spent long periods of time not working there yes. No issues. As long as I got beer and my big screen I am good.

That's funny, seeing as though Chonburi City and all it's suburbs dwarfs the population on Pattaya.

The neighbor is the younger brother of the former Mayor of Chonburi.

I have spent long periods of time not working there yes. No issues. As long as I got beer and my big screen I am good.

Just the facts BiGC, I got into a banter with Joe over it and Pattaya got the City status (Thesaban nakhon, เทศบาลนคร) while Chonburi, despite being provincial capital, is Thesaban mueang (เทศบาลเมือง). Where do you go for visa issues/ immigration?

Yes, but it's not a REAL CITY, is it. :D It's certainly not a Thesaban Nakhon, much the same as Bangkok isn't a Chan Wat. ;) They're both metropolitan municipalities.

Edited by CheshireTom
Just the facts BiGC, I got into a banter with Joe over it and Pattaya got the City status (Thesaban nakhon, เทศบาลนคร) while Chonburi, despite being provincial capital, is Thesaban mueang (เทศบาลเมือง). Where do you go for visa issues/ immigration?

I go to the immigration office in Sriracha. :bigsmile:

Ok guys

It's becoming a private bout of :bigsmile: "who's bigger than whom or what is called what when it should not be ( if you ask me)" kind of thing!!! :llaugh

From What I can gather from the replies there are as many as 3 times "FOR" than that "AGAINST"

About half of all The "FOR" provided a little more variation of perhaps living in the surrounding areas. The like of Ban chang, Jom Tien.

That means most people still would like to spend a couple of days ( or nights) a week in the heart of the action. ( Not just Bars, GO GO and getting drunk out of one's mind) but also the other attractions, entertainments etc.....

Now you guys can resume your bout while I start a new thread! and thanks for all the responses. You are a great bunch!!! :D :D

Affinity One :clap1

Ok guys

It's becoming a private bout of 1luv "who's bigger than whom or what is called what when it should not be ( if you ask me)" kind of thing!!! :D

From What I can gather from the replies there are as many as 3 times "FOR" than that "AGAINST"

About half of all The "FOR" provided a little more variation of perhaps living in the surrounding areas. The like of Ban chang, Jom Tien.

That means most people still would like to spend a couple of days ( or nights) a week in the heart of the action. ( Not just Bars, GO GO and getting drunk out of one's mind) but also the other attractions, entertainments etc.....

Now you guys can resume your bout while I start a new thread! and thanks for all the responses. You are a great bunch!!! :D :D

Affinity One :D

We will be around soon enough to ruin the new thread as well. Thanks for tipping us off to it. We will be sure to put it at the top of our list. :D

We will be around soon enough to ruin the new thread as well. Thanks for tipping us off to it. We will be sure to put it at the top of our list. 1luv
I'm in there already stinky, come contradict me if you dare... :D

When I finally retire I plan to live in Pattaya and slowly venture out to different areas for short stays. Exploring new areas is part of the adventure and if nothing keeps me in a new place I just go back to the home base which in my present thoughts is or will be Pattaya.

When I finally retire I plan to live in Pattaya and slowly venture out to different areas for short stays. Exploring new areas is part of the adventure and if nothing keeps me in a new place I just go back to the home base which in my present thoughts is or will be Pattaya.
Fine idea...

But I guarrantee, you will get 'hitched'...ie end up living with a TG. It happens to all except those that prefer a Thai boy.

Along comes a bit of responsibility for another family. It will happen and will affect finances.

Fine idea...

But I guarrantee, you will get 'hitched'...ie end up living with a TG. It happens to all except those that prefer a Thai boy.

Along comes a bit of responsibility for another family. It will happen and will affect finances.

There are a couple who never settle down but most do, though most still play away. Going out to the bars or staying home alone tend to be the options most people face. I guess many guys hitch up because of company rather than some blinding sex or perhaps just because it is the better of two evils. I know I'm the sort of guy who likes to live with someone and I know that if I was alone I'd be out most nights.

Another critical but vastly overlooked factor is that many guys live in relative shoe boxes, perhaps don't pay for home creature comforts and therefore staying at home is something to be endured for them, rather than a place of relaxation. Adding a live in to the equation can make it bearable.

• 3 weeks later...

I think about it off and on, but from recent holidays I'm sceptical as to whether it would be a good idea. If I don't dive (and can't do that every day for a number of reasons), I find myself finishing 500 page sci fi novels in 2 or 3 days and watching far more TV than at home. At best, can only spend a few hours in the evening touring the bars. Know that I could pick up a few more options, if I had a condo and a car. But even with a good cable TV package, would be watching football and baseball games in the middle of the night to see live games. All of which doesn't mean I may not be shopping at the Tesco Lotus in 2 or 3 years.

Edited by nkped
Pattaya has its moments, but I've come to the conclusion that I wouldn't want to live there permanently. A few months here and there, fine. But as a place of permanent residence, I don't think so.

A few years ago I retired and was going to move to Thailand. But after a while I concluded my life would be simpler if I kept a place in the states and just traveled when I wanted to. For example, I'm staying in Thailand for six months this trip. Maybe I'll come back in the fall, or maybe I'll go somewhere else for a few months or so. For me, that kind of arrangement makes more sense.

I agree - my sentiments exactly. I will be retiring soon and plan to visit Thailand (particularly Pattaya!), the Philippines, and other Asian destinations for several months at a time. But it's always nice to get back to southern California. I'd miss my good friends (and some relatives too) if I permanently moved overseas. Plus . . . there are some great mongering destinations in Central & South America, so it's a nice change-up to go down there once in a while. And besides.... my Spanish is way better than my Thai :D

--- Farsider

Well, Hi all you guys,

From what i read so far I gather that most of you are "Farang" that ome to visit Pattaya and enjoy the time spent here, and perhaps come back a few or more than a few more times. But would you ever consider living here on a permanent basis. Kinda retire in Pattaya???? ( although a lot of you may not consider yourselves as getting close to retirement age for at least a good few years at least!!! :unsure:

Affinity One

NO!