Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Bar owners beware - crackdown by City Hall

It has been well documented here and elsewhere regarding the Police/Immigration/City Hall crackdown on foreigh bar owners for amongst other things, no work permit, no music licences, underage staff and customers etc.

However, the following visit by City Hall officials to my bar on a "party night" is a new one on me: -

As you are probably aware, City Hall have been getting tough on street food sellers, shoe-shine boys, flower sellers etc.

There was a birthday party at my bar recently, with live entertainment and food on offer. As party of the food selection, I employed the services of a pig roasting firm, complete with a bar-b-q cooking a pig just outside my venue. Just as we were about to carve the pig, 3 uniformed police officers, attached to City Hall, descended on the area, scattering the street traders in all directions.

The officers nabbed a few, issuing them with fixed penalty notices at THB 500 a time.

Then they asked to see my pig-man's "licence". He could not produce one, therefore he was wacked with a ticket. I coughed up the cash, which had to be paid up at Soi 9 Police Station by my manager, otherwise the pig-man would have been carted off to the monkey house, leaving my party minus a pig.

The motto is: - if you have a party, no problem offering food from your bar's property. If you offer food from outside your bar like I did, you must ensure you have purchased a licence from City Hall prior to the event. I think the cost is about THB 50, or thereabouts.

It has been well documented here and elsewhere regarding the Police/Immigration/City Hall crackdown on foreigh bar owners for amongst other things, no work permit, no music licences, underage staff and customers etc.

However, the following visit by City Hall officials to my bar on a "party night" is a new one on me: -

As you are probably aware, City Hall have been getting tough on street food sellers, shoe-shine boys, flower sellers etc.

There was a birthday party at my bar recently, with live entertainment and food on offer. As party of the food selection, I employed the services of a pig roasting firm, complete with a bar-b-q cooking a pig just outside my venue. Just as we were about to carve the pig, 3 uniformed police officers, attached to City Hall, descended on the area, scattering the street traders in all directions.

The officers nabbed a few, issuing them with fixed penalty notices at THB 500 a time.

Then they asked to see my pig-man's "licence". He could not produce one, therefore he was wacked with a ticket. I coughed up the cash, which had to be paid up at Soi 9 Police Station by my manager, otherwise the pig-man would have been carted off to the monkey house, leaving my party minus a pig.

The motto is: - if you have a party, no problem offering food from your bar's property. If you offer food from outside your bar like I did, you must ensure you have purchased a licence from City Hall prior to the event. I think the cost is about THB 50, or thereabouts.

Not being nasty mate,but it seems like they are cracking down on the law,as many thais and farangs flaunt the law.

Not being nasty mate,but it seems like they are cracking down on the law,as many thais and farangs flaunt the law.

No probs - I completely agree with you. I was just posting this information so that other bar owners don't get caught out.

True, but where else would three police officers be used to enforce a 50 Baht license law? What a waste of time and manpower.

Personally I'd rather see them get all the people blocking movement on walking street. The ass holes trying to get me into an upstairs gogo, sell me flowers, or take my picture, not to mention the couple of seafood restaurants that block half the street with people standing in the street. I still don't understand why they say "welcome" yet force me cross to the other side of the street. Don't even get me started on those peddling watches and DVD's while I'm trying to eat. I'm starting to take it out on the restaurants for allowing them in to bother me. I'll leave little or no tip, and say, "I come here to eat, not shop."

Quite the scene, pigs asking the pig-man for a license !

Not sure about the present situation but it used to be the case that city hall would only issue licenses on one or two days a week and you had to come back the following week or two weeks later for some alcohol license.

Maybe the next one to check could post up as I guess most people would think you can get one on demand when that might not be the case.

surely you jest, it has been well documented here that there is no police crackdown going on

No probs - I completely agree with you. I was just posting this information so that other bar owners don't get caught out.

Totaly agree mate,i wouldnt want to see any farang bar owner get done for something trivial.My anger is at these fucking thai karaoke owners who dont even get a drinks license then proceed to bang music out until 6.00am in the morning and have kids taking drugs and shooting each other.They are the ones to blame for some of thess crackdowns

True, but where else would three police officers be used to enforce a 50 Baht license law? What a waste of time and manpower.

Personally I'd rather see them get all the people blocking movement on walking street. The ass holes trying to get me into an upstairs gogo, sell me flowers, or take my picture, not to mention the couple of seafood restaurants that block half the street with people standing in the street. I still don't understand why they say "welcome" yet force me cross to the other side of the street. Don't even get me started on those peddling watches and DVD's while I'm trying to eat. I'm starting to take it out on the restaurants for allowing them in to bother me. I'll leave little or no tip, and say, "I come here to eat, not shop."

I hear what you say, but the 3 cops, subject of this thread, have been busy for the past few weeks, clearing away the undesirables, some of whom you mention. Better late than never, but this is only going to work if they keep at it. I've no problem with these particular cops - I've seen them in action. The locality around my bar is largely clear of undesirables, however, repeating myself, this long-overdue enforement must be on-going.

surely you jest, it has been well documented here that there is no police crackdown going on

Certainly not of the kind you claim.

Or do you not see the difference between your claimed (and completely disproved) general crackdown on gogos and cooking a pig on the street without a license? :D

I must be reading the wrong newspapers, looking at the wrong forums, viewing the wrong TV stations!!

The new, young Superintendent of Soi 9 Pattaya Police Station went on record in several media outlets that he intended to crack down on the indiscretions I described in my original post. He seems true to his word. Despite the public order problems in BKK, the police and other agencies have been visiting/raiding both foreign and Thai-owned venues. Out of deference to the owners, I will not name those venues, but it is happening. Who wants drugs, underage, flower sellers, DVD/watch pushers, beggars etc lurking around Pattaya?

I just wish they would leave my pig man alone!

To say nothing of issuing permits where your revenue for the transaction is $1.55. Even with low wages this has to lose money.

To say nothing of issuing permits where your revenue for the transaction is $1.55. Even with low wages this has to lose money.

There are some fees on the statute books which are like Bt2 or something. Even a copy birth certificate came in at something like Bt14 or Bt16.