Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

U Tapao Airport is to have a big revamp

Do you know that U Ta Pao airport which is about an hour drive south east of Pattaya is going to have a big revamp. Its name is also going to change to UTa Pao Pattaya International Airport. would you guys choose to land at this airport instead of Suvarnnabhumi Airport?

There was also some talks about promotion linking it to pattaya establishments, such as XX% of your accomodation and restaurant bills by just showing your ticket or bosrding paas. There were also suggestions of having Pattaya VIP card for those using this airport so that you get discounts of things you buy in Pattaya.

Share your thoughts on the subject.

Affinity One

Its been on the cards for years ; accelrated by the Yellows taking over the airport.

Too close to Suvarnnabhumi Airport to be anything more than a supporting airport like DOn Maung. but i for one will use it if there are flights into it. Cuts you 2hr transit to 45mins

Its been on the cards for years ; accelrated by the Yellows taking over the airport.

Note that U Tapao is a naval air BASE and is not an airPORT. It is not under direct control of the government or even the state company Airports of Thailand Plc.

As you say, this story has been in the papers for years, planted by civil servants, contractors and Navy brass who stand to make a lot. But I don't believe for a second these alleged "plans" have been accelerated. The Navy will get submarines before it gets much of an update to the airbase. And as you also state, it will never compete with, and never be allowed to compete with Suvaranabhumi, not to mention Don Muang.

I used it to leave Pattaya when the insurrectionist, yellow fuckers took over BKK. It is very close to Pattaya, easy to access and easy to use. I'd use it over BKK any time for domestic/regional flights to/from Pattaya. But it will only ever be a secondary airport to BKK.

Note that U Tapao is a naval air BASE and is not an airPORT. It is not under direct control of the government or even the state company Airports of Thailand Plc.

As you say, this story has been in the papers for years, planted by civil servants, contractors and Navy brass who stand to make a lot. But I don't believe for a second these alleged "plans" have been accelerated. The Navy will get submarines before it gets much of an update to the airbase. And as you also state, it will never compete with, and never be allowed to compete with Suvaranabhumi, not to mention Don Muang.

I can dream , cant I? :allright

I flew into U Taopao once on Jetstar from Singapore. I was in Happy having my booze within 5hrs of leaving my doorsteps! :D

Can you imagine a Thai submarine......?

Can you imagine a Thai submarine......?

Unfortunately, I can. I used to not be able to imagine a Thai aircraft carrier, so now I can imagine almost anything.

It's almost certain there will be Thai submarines, and sooner than later I'm afraid. Luckily there are still a few hurdles. Unluckily, there's a damn good chance they'll be leapt over. I was serious - they'll probably really, actually get subs before permission to upgrade the airbase.

Edited by joekicker

If the cost is no more ,then yes I would use it ,if it cost more then no.The trip from BKK is not all that much different and unless things have changed I do believe the taxi costs are comparable from both airports.

Do you know that U Ta Pao airport which is about an hour drive south east of Pattaya is going to have a big revamp. Its name is also going to change to UTa Pao Pattaya International Airport. would you guys choose to land at this airport instead of Suvarnnabhumi Airport?

There was also some talks about promotion linking it to pattaya establishments, such as XX% of your accomodation and restaurant bills by just showing your ticket or bosrding paas. There were also suggestions of having Pattaya VIP card for those using this airport so that you get discounts of things you buy in Pattaya.

Share your thoughts on the subject.

Affinity One

I don't see it growing to much more than an airport from nearby countries and the odd charter.

Not expecting BA or Quantas to stop off there en-route between Heathrow and Sydney.

I would choose to land there though as it is closer to my final destination and I wouldn't have a problem asking the TGF to drive out there and pick me up.

Oh no, not another discount card being hyped......

If the cost is no more ,then yes I would use it ,if it cost more then no.The trip from BKK is not all that much different and unless things have changed I do believe the taxi costs are comparable from both airports.

A cab from Suvaranabhumi cost about 2kB and takes 2hrs. I wouldnt mind anything around that coz of 1ht+ time saved

A cab from Suvaranabhumi cost about 2kB and takes 2hrs. I wouldnt mind anything around that coz of 1ht+ time saved

Driving takes about 75-90 minutes and a taxi from the airport is about Bt1600. You can get taxis for Bt1200 all day or even cheaper if you book.

When the main airport was Don Muang, there was mileage in the argument to land at U-Tapao but with Swampy just over an hour to Pattaya, there is no argument. The drive out to U-Tapao is 45-60 minutes and there is nothing to do at the airport if you have to wait.

I think that where Swampy is makes it fine for Bangkok or Pattaya and it certainly makes the journey when you are tired acceptable, rather than tedious.

We shall see!!

1,200b to Pattaya from Swampy ?

what service are you using ?

I think any of your Mr T., Mr Toom and countless other mini cab people would snatch your hand off for Bt1200 inclusive. I am sure there are cheaper and that we've seen them talked about here quite recently.

I'm also surmising that Bt1200 would entice a cab dropping off to make the run easily.

1,200b to Pattaya from Swampy ?

what service are you using ?

Why do you care? Aint you the one leaving for good? Or was that an April Fool's joke? :D

One way from Pattaya to Airport is 800B from any booth on Pattaya road side :D

Busted ............................... 5555555

Edited by mmaaarrrkkk

said I was going, didn't say I'd NEVER come back

I still know where the biggest brothel in the World is

yes, I know you can get to Swampy for 800, but never seen cheaper than 1,800 to Pattaya from Swampy

I don't see it growing to much more than an airport from nearby countries and the odd charter.

Not expecting BA or Quantas to stop off there en-route between Heathrow and Sydney.

I would choose to land there though as it is closer to my final destination and I wouldn't have a problem asking the TGF to drive out there and pick me up.

Oh no, not another discount card being hyped......

The point I was trying to say is that they are talking about getting more than just a few chartered flights in, because they already get that anyway.

Straight from the horse's mouth this time. But if the big players want to land here as a routine or alterative what would any of you have any say in the matter?

Affinity One

• 4 weeks later...

Last time I took a taxi from Suwannapoom to Pattaya it cost me only 500 baht, although I had to share it with a lovestruck old Katoey! :angry:

Prefer the buses myself!

Why bother with expensive and suicidal taxidrivers when you can take the big and more comfortable bus for only 200 baht!? :D

Will fly in via U-Tapao on 29 of April on a flight from Koh Samui, so I will check if there has been any revamp since last time!

I think the minibus transfer to Pattaya costs about 150-200 baht, and takes about 45-50 minutes!

Plahgat

Lets the Russkies do up U-Tapao. They seem to be the ones who use it most.

Yep, I use Bell Bus if I have daytime travels between Swampy and Pats.

At least if their driver is nodding off, I cant see it.